Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to connect to the mail socket (Connection refused)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to connect to the mail socket (Connection refused)

Hi I am sorting out a site for a client and they moved to Internetters on my advice. I am getting this message when I try and send the contact form: "Unable to connect to the mail socket (Connection refused)" and no email notification is received when orders are placed. Network Settings follow at the end of this post.
    I raised a support ticket with Internetters and got this response "hi,
    After consulting the senior techs they have advised that the settings which you are using from our support guides are relevant to our own customer however if you have purchased the package from another company then we advise that you contact them as there settings may be different
    Kind Regards,
    Please use code DD3 when purchasing new services
    David Doig
    SUPPORT AGENT" (The client bought Actinic from Actinic - I think!)

Thanks for your interest and input
    Jonathan
    Here are the settings:
    HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 77
    SCRIPTEXT .cgi
    SMTPHOST localhost
    WEBSITEURL http://www.*******.co.uk/the-naturalists/
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP true
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME *******
    SMTPPASSWORD *******
    CATALOGURL http://www.*******.co.uk/the-naturalists/acatalog/
    CGIBINURL http://www.*******.co.uk/cgi-bin/
    PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../www/the-naturalists/acatalog/
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST ftp.*******.co.uk
    FTPUSERNAME *******
    FTPPASSWORD *******
    PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi-bin/
    USEPASSIVEFTP false
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /public_html/the-naturalists/acatalog/
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Another error!

I tried changeing the smtp server in Network Settings from 'localhost' to 'smtp.******.co.uk' (where ****** is the client's domain name) and got this error message:
    INET_ATON failed - host not found (smtp.******.co.uk: )

I tried 'smtp.iomartmail.com' and just got a blank screen with 'http://www.******.co.uk/cgi-bin/mf000077.cgi' i the title bar.

I tried adding the client's email username and password but it is 'administrator@******.co.uk' and Actinic did not accept a username with the ampersand and or full stops. They have got to be in the range '!'(ASCII(33))-'~'(ASCII(126))

I am struggling here guys!
    Thanks
    Jonathan
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer

Comment

move host to one that is known to work with actinic eg pinbrook

Comment

There appear to be a few actinic users hosting with internetters. Your best bet might be to contact them directly and see if they can tell you what works.

remember to post the answer here if you find it for the help of others.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike, but my original post showed how unhelpful Internetters were, saying they wouldn't give any support for Actinic if they hadn't sold it. Has any one from West Byfleet seen this? Internetters are meant to be a Gold trading Partner of Actinic. As for moving hosting company, the client has just moved to Internetters have had trouble with their previous company. Don't really want to move them again. Has any one got a solution? I feel very alone on this one!!!
          Jonathan Chappell
          Website Designer

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I meant you should try and contact the actinic users who are on internetters, not internetters themselves. If their emails working OK then all you need to know is what their settings are.

To contact them, find the relevant posts, click on the name and then find the 'send email to...' link.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike... Took me a minute didn't it?!!!! Over ten years or more I have run a number of Actinic sites on Internetters from Vs6 onwards and have never previously had any problems, I have drawn on that to try and solve the problem, but nothing has worked. Hopefully Actinic will chip in soon?
              Cheers!
              Jonathan Chappell
              Website Designer

Comment

One thing I can see from the network settings above is that it looks as if you have smtp username and password settings entered even though authentication is not enabled. I've seen this cause problems before so it might be worth trying:

- enable authentication (just so you can access the username and password)
                - clear the username and password boxes
                - disable authentication

try with 'localhost' if that's what you found worked before.

Mike

PS. If that doesn't work then I'll go quiet as actinic support often won't chime in if other members are discussing the problem. If you want them to look at it your best bet is to also log a support request from the support page on the actinic website.

Comment

Hi Mike, I did that just after I posted!
                  I'll ticket the Motherr Ship.

Cheers
                  Jonathan Chappell
                  Website Designer

Comment

Not waving, drowning.

Internetters have done nothing other than say that the email address works OK. They can't look at their SMPT server error file to see what the problem was. Actinic say it is down to the hosting company, Intertnetters say it is a software issue and not supported by them, leaving me very alone with an unhappy customer.

I tried changing the SMTP ports in 'Actinic.pm'

I have tried the following in SMTP server:
                    localhost
                    smtp.iomartmail.com
                    smtp.clientdomain.co.uk
                    smtp.internetters.co.uk

Actinic Support> Unfortunately I cannot advise you on what your hosting company calls their
                    > SMTP server.
                    > Only your hosting company can give you the correct name of their server.
                    >
                    All. either with username/password unchecked,
                    then checked using the username and password
                    for the email address in business settings.

Actinic Support> This part of the software is only required if your hosting company
                    > requires
                    > SMTP authentication, and if they do not ensure that the fields are blank
                    > before unticking the option.
                    >
                    Internetters say that if the email address is
                    sending and receiving mails (it is) that is all
                    they can do

Actinic Support> Sorry the email address is largely immaterial, if the software cannot
                    > connect to the SMTP server it does not matter what the email address is.
                    > If the hosting company say they have provided the correct SMTP server
                    > (bear
                    > in mind that the SMTP server MUST be at the hosting company to work) then
                    > you will need to have them examine their SMTP server error log to see what
                    > is the reason for the call/email being rejected.

Is there anyone with any idea? Can I use Formmail/sendmail instead? Any one know any good scripts (I have emailed Mole End, awaiting reply.)
                    Jonathan Chappell
                    Website Designer

Comment

What's shown in the Actinic error log with the various settings? (/acatalog/error.err)

(I would look but I don't know what the URL is).

Mike

Comment

I've replied to your ticket Jonathan but we can't help unfortunately. Have you asked internetters for a sample Actinic network settings file, surely they can provide that, you may have purchased Actinic through Actinic but you have purchased the hosting through them.

If they won't do that simple thing for you then I really would recommend that even though your client has just moved to this host that they move again, if they won't help you out on a setup issue, what are they going to do when something more serious happens.

You might want to point them to this thread as well so that they can take a look at the terrible publicity they are getting here.

Regards,
                        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                        Multichannel order processing
                        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

have you tried the ip address ?

smtp.internetters.co.uk = 62.128.193.150
                          Web design Bradford

Comment

SALVATION! "IP 10.6.0.18 rather than localhost"

Thank you all for throwing lifebuoys! I finally received this from Internetters and it works. I was on the phone to their support when it came in and they had never heard of it! Here it is:

"From: Johnathan Williamson
                            To: info@graphicz.co.uk
                            Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:28 AM
                            Subject: Your Actinic Installation

Mr Chappell,

I understand you have recently had problems getting your Actinic installation on watdon.co.uk to connect for SMTP.

We are investigating the issues surrounding this and I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused. It is not the type of service we would expect any of our customers to receive, let alone one who has been with us for over a decade. As you will probably know we take issues like this very seriously and I can assure you that the agents involved will be receiving full feedback and additional training to help them handle cases like yours better in future.

You can access the SMTP Server which sits locally via the IP 10.6.0.18 rather than localhost. This is primarily a security measure to prevent spam being generated from our webservers.

If this solution does not work for you please get back in touch with me directly.

Kind Regards,
                            Johnathan Williamson
                            Customer Support Manager
                            www.easyspace.com
                            Main Switchboard: 0141 931 6400
                            Fax: 0141 931 6401

And we all lived happily ever after! Thanks again everyone!

Jonathan
                            Jonathan Chappell
                            Website Designer

Comment

There is a sendmail patch that was written for v5 or 6. You may be able to adapt this, you should be able to find it on drillpine dot biz.

mail addresses to try include mail as a prefix where you've tried smtp.

That aside i echo Jan's comments if your host wont help with getting email working you should consider what level of support you can expect from them in the future.

You've got nothing to lose by going somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X