Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Google Meta Description and Titles

Hi everyone,
    I have a client who has mentioned that his webmaster tools is telling him that he has duplicate meta titles and description. When I look into his account where it gives me two instances:

/acatalog/Ames_Bros_Moon_Patrol_Heather_Blue_T-Shirt.html

/cgi-bin/sh000014.cgi?REFPAGE=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.main-source.co.uk%2Facatalog%2Findex.html&WD=small&PN=Ames_Bros_Moon_Patrol_Heather_Blue_T-Shirt.html%23aAME022

Both links go do go to the same product.

We do use canonical linking within the templates so Google should realise what the actual page name is.

My first question is does the cgi-bin link only relate to logged in users? And my second is what function does the perl 'sh' actually do. I can't seem to find it anywhere within the site online? I know the search function is 'ss'.

I have created a robots file to restrict any indexing of the cgi-bin. Would this be a suitable solution to the issue?

Thansk to anyone in advance for their help.
    Regards.

Lee Jackson
    Creative Director

Centurius Design & Marketing
    Centurius Website
    Portfolio of Work

I like to use the robots.txt to keep the search engines out of the cgi-bin.

As long as you aren't using lots of cgi-bin links on your home and section pages there won't be much of a problem doing this. Some layout schemes do use links via the cgi-bin so it's worth checking first.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for replying. The homepage has about 25 references to product pages via the cgi-bin, thanks to the new arrivals function on the homepage as well as the fragment link function. Do you happen to know what the 'sh' perl function is at all? Thanks once again.
      Regards.

Lee Jackson
      Creative Director

Centurius Design & Marketing
      Centurius Website
      Portfolio of Work

Comment

sh000... is the search highlight script.

Comment

Working...
        X