Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bypassing cgi-bin links solution 2 - community collaboration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 year old code: still rockin'

Comment

Does this work in 2014?

I got an error when i tried..

Warning:%20odbc_connect():%20SQL%20error:%20[Microsoft][ODBC%20Driver%20Manager]

Comment

Good Morning,

Sadly this no longer works on 2016, it had a good run. It generates nice urls, unfortunately on to the products parent section and not the product itself. If anyone has any ideas on a fix it would be great.
        Many Thanks
        Lee
        www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
        www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MDN View Post
          Good Morning,

Sadly this no longer works on 2016, it had a good run. It generates nice urls, unfortunately on to the products parent section and not the product itself. If anyone has any ideas on a fix it would be great.
          Hi Lee,

Is this code being used on MDN currently?

It would be awesome to clean up our nasty URL structure on pages like the following:
          https://www.columnradiators4u.co.uk/...diators-1.html

Would be happy to look into a fix for this, time well spent I feel!
          Matt. M - SMR Enterprises Ltd.

Comment

Matt,

are you using customer accounts? IIRC this is the main reason why sellerdeck wants links to go via the cgi-bin rather than just using the direct url such as this https://www.columnradiators4u.co.uk/...diators-1.html
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Mike & Matt,

I got in touch with Norman directly on this who has a full working solution, works perfectly and is fine when logged in also, example https://www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

All marketing lists and best sellers are using direct code, anyone who wants this should get in touch with Norman @ Drillpine

Whilst I accept what Bruce has said on the forum regarding the use of canonical tags etc and to block cgi-links via the Robots file, this ultimately left all marketing/best seller list dead in terms of SEO, this solution solves the whole issue.
              Many Thanks
              Lee
              www.mdnsupplies.co.uk

Comment

According to Google, canonical tags pass page rank, see https://webmasters.googleblog.com/20...canonical.html

So the links are very much alive in terms of SEO.
                Bruce Townsend
                Ecommerce Product Manager
                Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                  According to Google, canonical tags pass page rank, see https://webmasters.googleblog.com/20...canonical.html

So the links are very much alive in terms of SEO.
                  Yes Bruce, the canonical does make the actual landing page fine, however even SD set nofollow tags on cgi links in the past and most Robots files should be blocking them also, this is when the link in marketing lists etc becomes a non starter for SEO as your telling search engines to take no notice and not follow in the first place...
                  Many Thanks
                  Lee
                  www.mdnsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Hi Lee

The nofollow tags were added in one version, as a quick fix when Google got more aggressive about duplicate content. They were removed when we added the canonical tags, which were programmatically a bit more complicated and took a bit longer to implement, but are a much better solution.

The upgrader should have stripped out the nofollow tags when the canonical tags were added. If it failed to, or you didn't allow it, then it's safe to remove them manually or revert the relevant layouts to factory settings.

Yes, you can exclude the CGI URLs via robots.txt if you want to. But yes, you will certainly lose any page rank they would have passed. So I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

I can say categorically that at the present time, the CGI links are SEO safe, Google will follow them if allowed, and it will find and process the content at the other end.
                    Bruce Townsend
                    Ecommerce Product Manager
                    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                      Yes, you can exclude the CGI URLs via robots.txt if you want to. But yes, you will certainly lose any page rank they would have passed. So I'm not sure why you would want to do that.
                      Hi Bruce, I excluded cgi pages via the Robots file because I didn't want my sites search results pages or shopping cart pages in Google's search results, these I had found when in Google and also see today with other sites:

Many Thanks
                      Lee
                      www.mdnsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X