Any Way to Lower 'case page-name.html'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Way to Lower 'case page-name.html'

Anyone know if there's a way to make SD lower case the html page name created from the product name?
    Many Thanks
    Lee
    www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
    www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Not within SD I think.

However you could use Access to change ActinicCatalog.mdb, table Product , field sSingleProductPageName. This is for the Product Pages. Sections are done via table CatalogSection, field sPageName.

I tried that here manually on a single product page (with SD closed down and a backup made just in case) and it worked fine.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Is there any advantage to doing this? Aesthetically lower case urls are much better I feel and I really don't like Sellerdeck's insistence on capitals. However unless there's an obvious ranking advantage I'm not sure why it should be done?
      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thanks Norman, I'll give it a go.

Is there any advantage to doing this? Aesthetically lower case urls are much better I feel and I really don't like Sellerdeck's insistence on capitals. However unless there's an obvious ranking advantage I'm not sure why it should be done?
        No, just me being too fussy I think, I manually go in and set it to lower case but don't always remember, it's purely down to aesthetics and just wondered if there were an easy way to achieve it by default.
        Many Thanks
        Lee
        www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
        www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Comment

Stick with all lower case.

Dependant on whether you have a Windows or Linux host, file names can load differently.

Windows servers are case insensitive.

If you have www.site.com/Link & www.site.com/link - Windows server will treat them as the same.

A Linux server will correctly treat them as seperate files.

Read more here: https://wiredimpact.com/blog/never-u...-letters-urls/

EDIT: To the OP,

As indicated by Norman, you can do this inside of the ActinicCatalog.mdb if you're running access version of the site.

Brucey bonus - here's the code to do this in an Access query:

Code:
          UPDATE [Catalog Section]
          SET [Catalog Section].sPageName = StrConv([sPageName],2);
          The "2" at the end can be replaced with the following syntax

1 - uppercase
          2 - lowercase
          3 - camel case

Hope this helps!
          Last edited by MattSMR; 27-Oct-2017, 02:08 PM. Reason: Actually answered OP's question!
          Matt. M - SMR Enterprises Ltd.

Comment

You can change the page name manually. It's the 'Page Name' field in the 'Product Page' tab of the Product Details.

If your website is on a Windows server, you don't want to change the case after Google has indexed the page. Unless you provide a 301 redirect from the old URL to the new one, the page will lose all rankings. If you're on a Linux server, I think it should be OK, because they are not case sensitive. But I'm not an expert on that side of things.
            Bruce Townsend
            Ecommerce Product Manager
            Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

We have an issue which is currently assigned to the development team on a similar subject - we manually change the page name field from the default to shorten and tidy up the URL. About 6 weeks ago we noticed that this field is being overwritten after Publish To Web back to the Sellerdeck default - has anybody else experienced this problem ?

Comment

I've never seen this but it sounds concerning if it's confirmed as a bug.

Is it just the case of the page name that's being changed to the default or the whole page name that's being changed to the sellerdeck default?
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I'll give you an example Mike
                  On the general tab:
                  Reference: CEA1052
                  Short Description: Crossover Cuddly Teddy Bear Set of 10 Dies
                  Page name generated is: Crossover-Cuddly-Teddy-Bear-Set-of-10-Dies-CEA1052.html

We change the page name to: Crossover-Cuddly-Teddy-Bear-Set-of-10-Dies.html

After Publish to web the page name field has now reverted back to: Crossover-Cuddly-Teddy-Bear-Set-of-10-Dies-CEA1052.html and the URL on the front end is also back to the default

Comment

So it is changing the whole page name back to the default. That is worrying as it could really mess things up.

I've checked a few of my pages and don't see any signs of this happening. I see you're using 18.0.3 so it's a relatively up to date versions. I'll be interested hear what the developers have to say about this.

Is this something you find repeatable or just for the odd product?

Have you tried a database compact and repair? This is always my first step if strange things start happening to the database..

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                    X