How do YOU post yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do YOU post yours?

Still having a play on the demo version, curious as to how people are entering delivery charges on items as there is no methodology for doing this within the software, although the functionality exisits within the database...
    Are people just setting up postage as a product?
    If so, how do this "play" with the accounting side of things?

There is a chance that I have misunderstood this Q but there is a section for setting up shipping costs

Business Settings, shipping and handling

Comment

"w00t!" for todays 'post' of the day.

Comment

The OP is asking about postage in epos, not ecomms.

We have postage set up as a product with a 0 value so that you can change it accordingly. Works for us.

EDIT: re accounting, we don't do anything special - its a service, therefore you have to charge VAT, so it works the same way as any other product we sell in the shop.

Nick
        Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Thanks Nick, for reading the post before replying, and for providing a working users perspective.
          The setting up of postage as a product seems the way to go.

Comment

Hmmmm EPOS - Postage

Not picking a fight here but is EPOS not Electronic Point Of Sales. Meaning in a shop.

I have lost why you would need a postage charge. As i said im not picking a fight just asking thats all

D

Comment

Although there is the all encompassing god that is the "internet", when purchasing high value items that we sell, >£1K in most cases, people still like to make a telephone call

If they call, then i need to be able to A. Take address (check!) B. Take card payment over the phone (Check!) c. CHARGE THEM POSTAGE! d. Have all purchase that aren't internet sales go through the epos so i can link to Sage Accounts to make life easy (which i've already written a program for)

Alterenately..asking you back the question, if a customer rings to order something over the phone, do you not put the order through your epos?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B
                Hmmmm EPOS - Postage

Not picking a fight here but is EPOS not Electronic Point Of Sales. Meaning in a shop.

I have lost why you would need a postage charge. As i said im not picking a fight just asking thats all

D
                Until I can get round to linking up my ecomms and epos - we have to put all our web transactions through our epos so that we have accurate stock holding figures - that is why we need postage as a product, its all money in, so needs to be accounted for somewhere.

Additionally - some of our shop customers have things delivered - and if we're going to charge for it, it needs to show up on the receipt, therefore it needs to be set up as as a product. We do the same thing with service charges, such as when we build a lightshade for someone etc.

Hope that clarifies.

Comment

Originally posted by calljj
                  Alterenately..asking you back the question, if a customer rings to order something over the phone, do you not put the order through your epos?
                  As i sit in more than one camp i do it more than one way.

For the kite business
                  I place the order online via our website, and manually process the credit card payment offline, and is linked to sage, and i control the stock with actinic and sage.

For the plastics business
                  We use a MO system, which has all the things needed for that side of things and we also use it for EPOS as it can do that aswell.

Obviously the second system is not an actinic system but it does both.

So has anyone added a wish to the wishlist askign for postage to be added to the EPOS system?

D

Comment

So has anyone added a wish to the wishlist askign for postage to be added to the EPOS system?

D
                    I havn't - but then I can't see any real problem with having it set up as a product. Its easy for me to use, and easy for my customers to see on their receipt. Maybe there are pitfalls with this method - but I can't see any yet.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
                      "w00t!" for todays 'post' of the day.
                      Just read this original post and yup....w00t! from me too
                      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
                        Just read this original post and yup....w00t! from me too
                        Whats a w00t, and why is this post getting one?

Edit - Ok, I now know what a w00t is, so I assume this post has now had 2 'ironic' w00ts. To re-iterate, this is an EPOS thread, NOT the ecomms thread, so the OP isn't a silly question at all.

Please people - i'm not going to get all arsy about this because I know how much you contribute to this community - but the epos forum is like the Marie Celeste at the best of times, please don't discourage people from contributing any further!

Nick

Comment

As i sit in more than one camp i do it more than one way.

For the kite business
                          I place the order online via our website, and manually process the credit card payment offline, and is linked to sage, and i control the stock with actinic and sage.
                          I also am a UK distributor, a retail unit (well, soon to be), do equipment hire and have a busy website so have many channels to contend with. Yours seems a very long way round of processing an order.. Why not just put tel sales straight through epos? and why control stock with sage and epos? Surely whole point of epos is to control all your stock levels, then just use the report function in EPOS to give you total value of stock to enter as closing stock value in Sage?

Yes I enquired with sales, but developers not willing to do it at the moment.

My setup is as follows at the moment whilst using the demo software:

All stock levels managed by EPOS
                          All financial done through Sage

Website sales, I use so have written program "Zenitic" ( ) to download financial transaction into to Sage, and update the EPOS database for stock levels.

EPOS transactions, obviously stock managed internally in EPOS, then "Zenitic" takes financial transaction information from EPOS and updates Sage with financials.

Tel sales done through EPOS,using a product as Postage.

Trade Sales done through EPOS with reduced pricing of items done under customer settings.

Hire, items done as products, probably also broken down into day/half day.

All stock data entry (levels and new items e.t.c) is done through EPOS. "Zenitic" identifies new stock item in EPOS database and uploads details to ready further publishing/sale. This ensures that the EPOS and databases share the same product ID for the transaction stock updates to function.

I've also populated my EPOS product database directly from my (using the Zenitic) so now only have to add bar codes...that's saved some time!

Comment

I also am a UK distributor, a retail unit (well, soon to be), do equipment hire and have a busy website so have many channels to contend with. Yours seems a very long way round of processing an order.. Why not just put tel sales straight through epos? and why control stock with sage and epos? Surely whole point of epos is to control all your stock levels, then just use the report function in EPOS to give you total value of stock to enter as closing stock value in Sage?
                            James i run more than one site, sage is the easiest way to control the stocks on all three

I use postcode lookup on the website so inputting and order is far quicker doing it online, i know where an what to enter and i dont need to fill the address in either. and to be honest most of the time im talking to the customer whilst processing there order and they dont even notice, all my orders go through actinic and sage and my delivery charges are calculated automatically.

Yes I enquired with sales, but developers not willing to do it at the moment.
                            Hmmmm better adding it to the wishlist here, not much point in asking the sales guys IMHO

As for your intergration with , i take my hat off to you, not something i feel i could occomplish

D

Comment

James i run more than one site, sage is the easiest way to control the stocks on all three
                              D
                              Ah ok, i can see sense in that. I struggled last year with Sage and stock and didn't find it helped me all that much - indeed it is an accounts package after all, so I guess i couldn't expect that much from it product wise.

I have got around the multi website problem by having just one common database then run multiple webshops shops from that single database, with different front ends and selling different (and some same) products on each one. Great thing is all orders and stock all through one point so easy to manage.

Comment

Working...
                              X