SSD Drive NAS drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD Drive NAS drive

Looking to get a NAS drive that accepts SSD drives any good suggestions around. Reason to get good speed between all users or maybe fast normal drives. open to suggestion

Only using it to store and use on sellerdeck 2016 with 5 users

Assume i place the sync on the NAS

Also want one drive to back up onto the other automatically i.e RAID but no idea of which raid method to use

At present we have a very old office server that has low memory so trying to bypass it as much as possible it uses SBS
    Chris Ashdown

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
    Looking to get a NAS drive that accepts SSD drives any good suggestions around. Reason to get good speed between all users or maybe fast normal drives. open to suggestion

Only using it to store and use on sellerdeck 2016 with 5 users

Assume i place the sync on the NAS

Also want one drive to back up onto the other automatically i.e RAID but no idea of which raid method to use

At present we have a very old office server that has low memory so trying to bypass it as much as possible it uses SBS
    We use Synology units with four drives (you can fit just 2) with Raid 1 so the four drives give us two volumes each with an automatic backup so if one drive fails you just replace it and the system copies all files to the new drive. Synology has a lot of applications that can be installed on the system including backup applications.
    You can get Synology units for 2.5" or 3.5" drives.

Raid 0 has no backup facility
    Raid 1 requires 2 drives, usually the same size but if different the resultant volume is the smaller of the two sizes. Provides backup against one drive failing.
    Raid 3,4 and 5 are less common with only Raid 5 providing for a single drive failure.
    Raid 6 is the most secure and can handle up to 2 drive failures but you need at least four drives
    The higher raid numbers have faster access to the data but we have always found Raid 1 to be sufficient.

We have four NAS units all set to Raid1 and we have not lost any data in 7 years in which time we have had three drive failures.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

I'm not sure using SSDs in NAS drives is a sensible idea.

You might be OK if it's just a light use system but if you ever plan to use it for regular backups (what NAS is often used for) then the volume and frequency of writes is going to wear out the SSDs pretty quickly.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
        I'm not sure using SSDs in NAS drives is a sensible idea.

You might be OK if it's just a light use system but if you ever plan to use it for regular backups (what NAS is often used for) then the volume and frequency of writes is going to wear out the SSDs pretty quickly.

Mike
        We have SSD in some of our NAS drives with no problems so far I also use them in RAID Arrays inside our main computers and again several years operation without problems, the only failed drives have all been conventional motor driven units. The NAS boxes are powered 24/7 and some of the PC's. We also have a dedicated server with SSD drives running several web sites since 2013 which include continuous data capture from connected devices.

Current SSD devices are capable of over 1000TBytes of data writes so if you backup 500Mb daily to an SSD drive that would be around 2million backups. Synology NAS drives will give you warning of impending failure by monitoring the SMART data interface to the drive and with a simple RAID 1 system you should be able to survive a few days while you wait a replacement drive to arrive, or carry a spare at all times to be even safer.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

Working...
        X