Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd underscores appearing ?

Hi,

I've just noticed some odd behaviour in v10. Windows 7.

Underscores are appearing in places they shouldnt.
    Even within the actinic program itself !

Have a look at this;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Actinic-underscores.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	546544

Look at the underscores under the 'm' of page name and the 't' of page title.
    They shouldnt be there... and often arent.. It seems random.

I'm not too worried about that, but recently, one of my page names had two underscores added to the start !!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	underscore.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	546545 That is extremely worrying.

As I said, I'm on windows 7, and often the program closes with an error beep.. but with an empty window.

I've just spent ages rebuilding the shop from v7 site to a v10 site, but I've felt less confident with the v10 site. The v7 was totally stable on XP.
    This latest error has got me pretty worried.. pagenames changing on their own is not acceptable, and the fact that the actual program has random underscores appearing within the program shell is very disconcerting.
    Can anyone else who is on windows 7 and having random errors keep an eye on their page name and titles sections for random underscores appearing.
    Arka Tribal Jewellery

just noticed as well, that the 'delete' button on my keyboard does not work in the 'Page name' field. !?!

I can type in the field.. but not delete. Other fields are behaving normally with 'delete' working. To change anything I have to put the cursor at the end and use backspace.. that deletes the content, but my 'delete' key doesnt work..

Can anyone else comment on this?
    Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

The first set of underscores is a Windows feature and good programming. Windows is designed to be used not just by a mouse but also by the keyboard. E.g. certain disabled users. The underscored characters indicate the key to hit to perform that action. Look at the top menu in the browser you're reading this from. See the File, Edit, View, etc (you may have to press Alt depending on browser).

The second is probably Actinic V10 being more rigorous in restricting the allowed characters in page filenames to a safe subset. It would be interesting to know what your V7 page name was.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
        The first set of underscores is a Windows feature and good programming. Windows is designed to be used not just by a mouse but also by the keyboard. E.g. certain disabled users.

ooops.
        Doh !

Sorry about that then. My mistake. Getting a bit panicky perhaps.
        Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

However the delete problem is a bug. It's been much moaned about and will undoubtedly be fixed real soon.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I was combining (in my mind) the inability to delete, the disabled access feature and the underscores in my pagenames into one problem, which obviously it isnt.

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
            The second is probably Actinic V10 being more rigorous in restricting the allowed characters in page filenames to a safe subset. It would be interesting to know what your V7 page name was.
            Well this is still weird because I manually typed in the pagenames.
            I didnt upgrade from v7, I have totally rebuilt from the bottom up.

I certainly didnt type in those two underscores.
            I have also noticed that some '/n' characters have appeared at the beginning of my list of metatags-keywords field. Again, I'm sure I didnt type these in.
            I'm using linked external data... but not for these fields. So still a bit concerned as to why these characters should appear... unfortunately I have no idea when they appeared, or what action may have caused this, as I only just noticed them.
            Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Have you done an export and import of data?

I know that I get the /n in product descriptions if I export then import the catalog. The /n replaces the "returns" at the end of a line. There is a post from a few years ago that details how to run a query that replaces /n (IIRC, it was my post based on info given to me by Actinic support)

As for the underscores, when you create a section, the Page Name is auto filled in from the Section name. Any invalid characters (such as &) are replaced by underscores. I suspect the v10 is more rigorous that v7 in this respect.
              Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
              SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
              Based in rural Northants

Comment

Hi Goz,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I have done an export and import of the catalog.
                So I suspect that has something to do with it then.
                I've deleted all the '/n' line breaks now... they havent re-appeared yet.
                Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Working...
                X