Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange indexing of pages?

Hi,

When I do site:sumpsandpumpsdirect.co.uk into google. I can see all my meta titles but a lot have - Sump Pumps and the end of it. yet I have not put that on any of my meta titles.

when I go onto any of the pages and view source is also does not show - sump pumps within the meta title.

Can someone explain why its doing this or what I have done to make it do this?
    Reverse Osmosis Water Filters

Look at one of the offending pages in Sellerdeck and take a look at the bit of the layout that is producing the title text.

It should be fairly simple to see what's doing it but if not try to copy and paste the bit of the layout into the forum so we can take a look.

Mike

Ah. I see your problem, there is nothing on the page that is generating the offending text. i.e. the title text shown in the index isn't what's on the current pages.

In that case I have to assume it's a hangover from something that was done sometime before and google hasn't updated it's index. I'd make a change to the outer layout that will affect all the pages, some new text on the footer will do it, and then publish the site. That should force Google to re-index all your pages and hopefully fix it.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks for that, thought I was going mental as I could not find the offending text anywhere.

made a slight change and hopefully get indexed without it asap

Comment

This makes no sense now....

Even new pages that have been uploaded the last few days are getting this -sump pumps at the end of google titles.

Cant be doing the site any good this!

is it something google is adding automatically or is something still amiss on the website

its defo not within the <title> </title> tags on any page. anyone got any ideas plzzzzz

Comment

In which case I wonder if it's something the server is doing for google (and maybe other search engine robots as Yahoo and duckduckgo also show similar although variable results)

You could try doing a 'fetch as google' from webmaster tools > Crawl and then clicking the resulting page link to see the details. That should show if Google is being shown something different to you.

Mike

Comment

Or it might just be Google trying to be helpful. See Matt Cutts here on why Google changes your title in the search results:

https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/ne...search-results

Google looks for three things:

1. Something relatively short.
            2. A good description of the page and ideally the site that the page is on.
            3. That it’s somehow relevant to the query.
            It seems that google wants visitors to know from the title what site they're going to visit. I suppose to help them know if it's a site they want to visit or not.

Comment

I've seen something like this before. Can't remember the details or the site now, but Google certainly does tinker with the Title sometimes, and the Description as well.
              Bruce Townsend
              Ecommerce Product Manager
              Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Working...
              X