Single Product Page Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leehack View Post
    So you are saying extended info method is quicker than the new SPP and i am saying subsections are quicker than extended info pages. How can we draw some cold hard evidence, tough one to gauge without hours of work. Hopefully some benchmarking has been done to show what is best for existing users.
    Couple of weeks ago I did a test to see.

I imported my v10 site into V11 and did a refresh and then did two standard uploads with no changes. Writing down the time for each upload.
    Then I change all my extended info page to the new SPP and did a refresh and two standard up loads.
    As far as I can remember the checking of the pages took longer with the new SSP. Will be doing a bit more testing before I make the change.
    Elliott - Weybridge Lights

www.weybridgelights.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
      I would have thought that any good converter should copy subsection page-names to the SPP counterparts?
      The only loss then would be the removed duplicate pages and I suppose you'd have to take that into account, when weighing up the Pros 'n' Cons of changing over, before converting.
      Fully agree, without that, i don't think it is viable, could be carnage.

Comment

We are going to do some performance testing with the new Product Pages, and I will report back the results. Until now, everyone has been tied up getting version 11 ready to release.

Theoretically a single product per page layout using Product Pages should offer a significant performance improvement over Subsection pages. They were certainly designed for that, and one beta tester did report back that it was definitely the case. In practice I think it will vary from site to site, depending on the number of products, depth of subsections, whether Extended Info pages are used as well etc etc.

Compared with using Extended Info pages, Product Pages are easier to set up, and easier to optimise for search engines.

WRT the cgi links in marketing lists, in v11 these have all been given 'nofollow' tags, to avoid diluting the value of the other links on the site with links that are blind alleys to a search engine. I think it's debatable whether you really want search engines to follow those links anyway, because they will keep changing, so would make the site optimisation harder to manage and control. OTOH they do potentially provide additional internal links to recent and popular products. We've never actually measured their impact, but I would think it's marginal.
        Bruce Townsend
        Ecommerce Product Manager
        Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Hi Bruce,

With regard to the above, I wanted to use the Marketing.Product Related Products List, to increase sales and increase internal links. Is this a NOFOLLOW tag? If so, I suppose I'd be better using the Links section?

Thanks,

Dan
          The Garden Superstore - No1 for Plant Pots and Gardening Supplies.

Comment

It doesn't stop it as a link, it just tells a search engine not to follow it.

Comment

Thanks Lee, I realise that. I want a search engine to follow these links, thereby increasing the internal links.

So was wondering if there is a NOFOLLOW tag on the Marketing>Product Related Products Lists? If there was, again as long as there are no NOFOLLOW tags, then I'd have to used the Links section to get a internal link?

Just wanting to a. increase internal links and b. up-sell.

Thanks
              The Garden Superstore - No1 for Plant Pots and Gardening Supplies.

Comment

After using the converter it appears that it does not add the product reference to the end of new product page ssp html in order to create a unique page .html. (As it does when not using the converter and you ckeck the product page in the tab).
                Hence generating errors when upload i.e:

A page named 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Actinic v11\Site1\SiteHTML\TEST-PRODUCT.html' has already been generated for the product 'TEST PRODUCT (PRODUCT1)'. The same page name is used for the product 'TEST PRODUCT (PRODUCT2)' and therefore the previously created page will be overwritten. Do you wish to continue the upload?

Is the way I am using the converter wrong? As I have a many products with the same short desc | different ref & full desc!

Comment

Originally posted by Goz View Post
                  From the help that comes with the converter :
                  So does this mean that all the SEO work done on the sections is lost rather than gathered in by the converter to fill in the details on the product page tab.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                  SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                  Custom Packages

Comment

The Product Page Converter is now released out of beta testing and available to download here:
                    www.actinic.co.uk/about/v11.php4

In testing we've not be able to define which site structure(s) will benefit performance-wise from using Product Pages, it will vary from site to site because there are many factors involved. However we have not found any scenario in which a site using them will be worse off.
                    Bruce Townsend

Comment

Sorry, the original link was wrong. Corrected to www.actinic.co.uk/about/v11.php4
                      Bruce Townsend

Comment

Help Required Please

Hi Everyone,

I have just tried running the SPP convertor, and after filling in the database name/location I get a dialogue box with the message:

"Safety settings on this computer prohibit accessing a data source on another domain"

Has anyone any idea how to correct this please?
                        Steve Jordan
                        -----------------------------
                        Error 404 - Page not found

Sellerdeck V11.03 - Business - Actinic Payments -
                        Sage Accounts 50 V16 2012 Sellerdeck Link

Acacia Masonic Regalia Masonic Regalia Masonic Forum

Comment

Originally posted by rbagga View Post
                          After using the converter it appears that it does not add the product reference to the end of new product page ssp html in order to create a unique page .html. (As it does when not using the converter and you ckeck the product page in the tab).
                          Hence generating errors when upload i.e:

A page named 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Actinic v11\Site1\SiteHTML\TEST-PRODUCT.html' has already been generated for the product 'TEST PRODUCT (PRODUCT1)'. The same page name is used for the product 'TEST PRODUCT (PRODUCT2)' and therefore the previously created page will be overwritten. Do you wish to continue the upload?

Is the way I am using the converter wrong? As I have a many products with the same short desc | different ref & full desc!
                          Can anyone comment on my question above?

Comment

Raj, I posted an answer to your question in Get Satisfaction. The release version of the converter does add the product reference to the page name. You can download it from www.actinic.co.uk/about/v11.php4
                            Bruce Townsend

Comment

Nofollow Tags

Daniel, we have added 'nofollow' tags to all links that use cgi scripts. Search engines cannot follow these links, they are basically blind alleys to them. They don't have any SEO value, so we added the tags to prevent them diluting the value of the other links on the page.
                              Bruce Townsend

Comment

Originally posted by Brightstar View Post

Hi Everyone,

I have just tried running the SPP convertor, and after filling in the database name/location I get a dialogue box with the message:

"Safety settings on this computer prohibit accessing a data source on another domain"

Has anyone any idea how to correct this please?
                                I've had the same issue today and managed to solve it. I'm running W7 64bit in case it's different for other systems. Open the Converter folder and right click any file- go to properties. You should see a button at the bottom saying something to the effect "this file is blocked- click to unblock". Unblock all files in all folders inside the Converter folder, it will now work.
                                Hope this helps.
                                Ben
                                http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X