VAT charged on... invoice / delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT charged on... invoice / delivery

I would like to have an override option to what is set for the site...

eg.
    If the site is set to charge VAT based on Invoice address,
    I would like to be able to override a particular order to be based on the delivery address.

An interesting one but shouldn't VAT be based on the delivery address anyway?
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

We sometimes have export orders delivered to a UK shipper...

Comment

Presents etc are possibly brought by the invoce address holder and given to the delivery holder, plus payment is always made by the invoice holder which is what 3rd man checks
        Chris Ashdown

Comment

Invoicing and 3rd man.... yeah.

For 3rd man, I have a feeling we might be violating our merchant services rules by sending to an address not registered to the card holder...

Back to VAT...
          We recently had an order from Norway (Nil VAT) = Invoice / Delivery to Norway, but the customer wanted us to change the delivery address to Sweden (Vatable)... We only allow it by adding the VAT (this keeps the UK VAT Inspector happy).

So here we want VAT on delivery address...

Comment

Exactly my point.

VAT should be based on the delivery address. Otherwise all anyone would have to do is use an overseas invoice address and buy everything without any VAT.

The only time you wouldn't charge VAT is when the goods are being exported outside of the EU (at least for the moment, I guess it will be different once the EU exit is arranged). And that would be based on the delivery address.

The case of the export shipper is an interesting one, but I'd assume the correct procedure would be have the delivery address as the overseas one and the export shipper address should really be handled separately. (Much as you don't put the Post Office address on parcels you're sending overseas from the post office).

Comment

Regards to the export - our last VAT inspector reminded us that we need to provide customs documentation of goods exported and this way we know who arranged the export & can trace all relevant export docs for zero VAT...
              - the inspector actually said that an overseas customer arranging collection (eg. via DHL/export shipper) does not give us the customs docs and we need to charge VAT until the buyer sends us the customs docs (we have no control on the delivery and an air/sea waybill is not sufficient)... so in this case, we initially charge VAT, then once customs docs arrive, we remove the VAT...

For us there is always an odd order that goes the other way... hence an option for orders to override would be nice.

Comment

So are you looking for this to be an option in the order entry screen?

At the moment you can open any order, go to taxes and tick the exempt box to remove VAT from the order. I don't know if this works the other way too.

Comment

You can tick and exempt an order that already has VAT
                  - eg. Amend a UK Order to Zero VAT, exemption for medical etc...

But you can't "add" VAT on an order that was calculated as NIL VAT...
                  - at times changing the country kind of works
                  (for us there's seems to be a bug in the software
                  - VAT is added to the carriage, but not on the goods)
                  - we normally have to add two adjustments to the order
                  : deduct goods value with nil vat, and add goods value with VAT...

Keep online orders as the default site setting
                  - to have an override option in the "Tax" tab of the order itself

Comment

Working...
                  X