Anyone know of a plugin that adds to cart but doesn't leave page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a plugin that adds to cart but doesn't leave page

Does anyone know of a plugin to enable add to cart to be pressed without actually leaving the page, i thought Teclan did one, but can't see it listed on their site and i seem to recall Stinky Ink were using something similar but theirs now seems to have change also. Any info appreciated.

I have been asking the same question for over a year. If you find one let me know. Stinky Inks is brilliant!!!

Comment

Hi Lee, Nigel,
      We have not put this functionality into a plugin (as yet) due to our dissatisfaction with the flexibility of this feature i.e. it does not work 100% correctly across all product permutations e.g. SPP, MPP, component, attribute and permutation variations.

That said it can be made to work within a fixed setup i.e. one or two variations of the product setup.

The basic premise is that the normal Actinic form submit function is overridden by an AJAX call which adds to cart then calls an update to the basket "area" to reflect the change. Tricky, but doable.
      PM me with more info on how/where you would want to implement this and I'll see what we can do. We could perhaps release a plugin with fixed parameters? i.e. Only use on Single Product Per Page perhaps?
      Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
      Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
      SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Thanks for your reply Sharkey. Unfortunately this setup has MPP, SPP and also single add to cart across various sections, so somewhat random. I can recall an AUG having the script change to allow an add to cart without leaving page, pretty sure it might have been the V8 one, not sure if still applicable, i expect not.

If you don't get some kind of popup confirming, i always think it's a little offputting as you're not sure what has happened, although having said that after you've done it the first time, i'm sure you then understand.

Stinky Ink seem to have a version of this in place, not sure if they built in house though as i think Rob does a fair amount on that side for them. Seems to be a very difficult solution to implement without problems across a number of setups.

Comment

Well at least my memory hasn't gone, here it is out of the V8 AUG, heaven knows if it will still work, i'd have thought there's an equivalent if not:

When you use a shopping mode of 'Quantity on Product Page', the standard behaviour is when a customer clicks the add to cart button, Actinic shows a bounce page with the updated shopping cart details, and then takes the customer back to the store page.
          However, the bouncing cart page has the potential to confuse some customers and it might potentially be unneccessary, particularly if you have implemented a cart summary in your page layout template that shows the updated cart totals anyway.

This method causes the bounce page to be suppressed, but the the product will still be added to the cart, and all errors (e.g. exceeding maximum quantities) will still appear correctly.

This requires a modification of 'ShoppingCart.pl' (which Actinic uses to build 'ca00000n.pl')

Locate 'ShoppingCart.pl' in your Actinic site folder, and edit with Notepad or a code editor eg Dreamweaver.

Goto line 1122:
          @Response = ReturnToLastPage($nBounceDelay, ACTINIC::GetPhrase(-1, 1962) . $sCartHTML . ACTINIC::GetPhrase(-1, 1970) . ACTINIC::GetPhrase(-1, 2051),$sPageTitle); # bounce back in the broswer

And replace with:
          @Response = ReturnToLastPage(0,""); # immediate bounce back in the browser without page display

Note: you must ensure that 'Bounce Page Delay' (in 'Design | Design Options' is set to something other than '0'.

This will not affect the behaviour of the 'Quantity on Confirmation Page', or 'Quantity in Shopping Cart' shopping modes.

Comment

Just tried this on V10 and it works!

Nigel your wait is over lol, enjoy.

Comment

I assume the AUG solution does not provide any acknowledgement that an item had been added to the basket which would be ideal.

I particularly like how the add to cart works on the Stinkyink site, where the 'add to basket' button changes to 'Adding item...', followed by 'Added to Basket' before returning back to the original 'Add to Basket' button.
              Darren Guppy
              Golf Tee Warehouse
              Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

No it doesn't provide the confirmation. I personally didn't think much of the Stinky Ink solution, i'd prefer a popup message of some kind. It took me at least 5 or 6 add to carts to actually see what it was doing, i felt it got lost where it was housed, particularly on a busy page with lots of colours etc. Maybe just my eyes, great functionality without doubt though.

Comment

It might be possible to get a popup to confirm the items have been added using javascript. Ideally the bounce back should pass a confirmation variable to the page that could be tested to decide if the popup is needed or not. Otherwise it gets more complicated.

I haven't looked at the code around this, but it's maybe something Actinic or someone else might care to take a look at.

Mike
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

This is one plug-in we'd be glad to pay for. My favourite to date is that on Play dot com. Brilliant.
                    Kind Regards
                    Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                      No it doesn't provide the confirmation. I personally didn't think much of the Stinky Ink solution, i'd prefer a popup message of some kind. It took me at least 5 or 6 add to carts to actually see what it was doing, i felt it got lost where it was housed, particularly on a busy page with lots of colours etc. Maybe just my eyes, great functionality without doubt though.
                      Stinky ink are using AJAX (via jQuery) to deal with the add to cart, the response could indeed be a popup or anything that can be programmed through JavaScript. Using AJAX gets rid of the screen redraw that is a function of calling the ca....pl script which then returns to the current product page causing a redraw. With AJAX you can specify the action on completion of the process which could be a popup that stays active for a few seconds then closes, could even be a mini cart display.

The real problem is handling all the different possibilities of components and permutations, that can occur on different Actinic sites.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                      SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                      Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
                        This is one plug-in we'd be glad to pay for. My favourite to date is that on Play dot com. Brilliant.
                        An example of the technique is here http://actinic-test.toddesigns.co.uk...g/Cameras.html contact me via email if it is of any interest

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
                          An example of the technique is here http://actinic-test.toddesigns.co.uk...g/Cameras.html contact me via email if it is of any interest
                          nice work

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
                            Finished version can be seen here http://cartplugin.toddesigns.co.uk. Works with SPP MPP and single button on product page.

No bounce page, no page redraw, no modifications to Actinic scripts so if javascript disabled the cart works. Extracts error messages from data returned by Actinic scripts and displays in pop up.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

This is really very impressive.

It does seem to be quite slow in operation which could be a setting or server issue. It would also be nice if there was a way to close the 'added to cart' message.

Despite this it's really very, very good. Congratulations Malcolm.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                              X