Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight as a Product Option

Hi All,

We are working on a site at the moment that is going to require a weight for each product, used for shipping calculations etc.

The issue is that a product could be available in multiple weights eg

Bird Seed being available in 1kg, 2kg, 4kg and 8kg packs.

Now, we can add these as an option to the product and assign a different price for each option.

But this is not following through to the weight total that determines what shipping to charge etc.

Is there a way to include the weight tally in the options, as the Price option tallies up for the order total?

I am sure this is possible, but not seeing it at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Grant

Your 1kg, 2kg 4kg options etc would need to be real products with real weights with 'permutations' put in place. Look at the product options wizard, it will create the list and products for you.

Comment

Hi Lee,

Thanks

I was afraid of that. It would mean that this particular shops products are going to be multiplied by a factor of 4 to 10.

They were hoping not to have to have a separate product for each weight, as this would lead to a heck of a lot of repetition with the same product info, picture etc etc listed multiple times, the only difference being the price based on what weight you chose....

Hmm, I wonder if there may be another way around this.

Comment

Only way you will get round that is to ask them how many KG they want. Each 1Kg bag has a weight and their quantity just multiplies by that. On the product layout for these products, have a switchable question so that 'quantity' is changed to 'how many Kg would you like?'

Bird seed sold by the kilo would be the product name.

Comment

You would still only list the product once if you had multiple sizes, not once per size. You'd have a drop down list on a master product and the choices in said drop down list were what linked directly to the hidden products. Each option in the list is a real product in other words, all shown on one product though, listing multiple times for just size would be a bad idea.

Comment

Hidden products will work as mentioned above. Major pain will be if you have to reprice something as you'll have to do it for each hidden product.

Another (rather experimental as I've not tried this) possibility is to have single set of zero-price products called "Shipping weight 1Kg", "Shipping weight 2Kg", etc., that have no prices but do have weights. This becomes the hidden product that you add to each permutation but you don't use this for pricing and instead set the product price within the permutation via Override price. And set "Shipping from Associated Product" to use that specific weight.

Now you only have one place to fiddle with (the Permutation list) when prices change.

And you should be able to copy / paste that permutation to a new product that uses the same weight ranges - but remember to change prices as required.

It's also possible to do some computation to generate product weights but this is definitely in bespoke territory. I recall doing one for a turf supplier where the weight was calculated based on product, thickness, area required and season (same product weights significantly more in the wet season). Change a single global variable "Season" and all weights are magically updated.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hmmm - revisiting this as I have come across a need to have a "Weight override" in permutations again.

This time for cases of wine. I have permutations for Single bottles / Case of six / Case of 12 with the price for the 2 cases overridden.

This works wonderfully.

But now, how can I set a different weight for each permutation. Without having to multiply practically every product on the site by 3

Fiddling with Normans experiment above at the mo.

Would be great if there was a way to just add in a Weight override in the permutations panel...

Comment

If you have hidden products setup for the options in the list, you can just add a weight to each of the hidden products e.g.

single bottle - 200g
                case of 6 - 1.3kg
                case of 12 - 2.5kg

Comment

Im not sure this part of the forum gets viewed much but, can anyone tell me where I set "Shipping from Associated Product" ?

Should it be a permutation option when using a linked product ?

Thanks

Michael
                  Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

1) On each of the hidden products, on the details tab, assign a weight
                    2) On the main product, assign a weight of .0001g
                    3) On the component details panel, tick the boxes "Shipping from Associated Product"

Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I have already tried this and the component choice "Shipping from Associated Product" does not exist. ?

Thanks

Michael
                      Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Is it hidden in a collapsed column?
                        Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Hello,

I dont think it is, ive just tried expanding all the columns as far as I can.
                          Theres one on the end that does not have a description, I cannot widen it but I think it says 'barcode'.

The bottom product is the only one with associated product, im not doing anymore until I fix it.

Thanks,

Michael
                          Attached Files
                          Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Make the one called Tax from Associated Product as small as you can?

Yes, the one you can't currently expand is likely to be Barcode but you need to play around with the column widths to see what else might be there.

The one you're looking for should be between Tax from Associated Product and Barcode.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying again,

Honestly, its not there:

Until i fix this i think my shipping will not function correctly.
                              Attached Files
                              Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X