V10 - Everything Else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V10 - Everything Else

(Question 1.0) Everybody seems to be discussing the 3 'major' advances in v10 - what about the vast majority of known bugs still present in v9, will these be carried over, or have Actinic invested some mandatory time into fixing these issues?

One presumes by the lack of response, these will be swept under the rug in the hope the new features will carpet over existing known and widely criticised issues.

Discuss, stating sources (where relevant), 10 Marks.

I'm still on v8 for FH so happy to wait and see what options v10 actually adds to what we already have.

For most of us, the no1 requirement has to be a stable version, that you can trust when backing up should anything go wrong.

We still get dmp files on days we're busy but a compact and purge (if stuff has been deleted) gets us going again. I like v8 to use although I really wish I had the ability to make our site better (or even have the money to pay someone to do it!) but I dislike the v9 interface quite a bit. I'd imagine v10 will be based on the v9 one?

There are two other (regular) bugs in v8 that we have to work around, but we now know how to cope with them. As well as lengthly uploads.

Right now Actinic seem to be in a terrible firing line on here. Is it justified? In some ways yes, through lack of progress for some, lack of repairing known issues, some of which have been around for some time now, and so on.

Its been a tough year for many, many businesses (ours included) and hopefully most Actinicers will come through it and prosper in the future (whilst still using Actinic of course).

Theres been many changes in the world of ecommerce in the last couple of years, eBay selling more new stuff than TKmaxx, Amazon wanting a share of every f**king sale on the interweb, Paypal emerging as a big big player, and Google doing everything free that you need but have more information than any NASA filing cabinet, as well as replacing the phrase `look it up on a search engine` with something much shorter. They still have the best homepage though.

Wheres the love?
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

nice comments G

I think Jo agrees with you about skipping a release if it does not contain anything of benefit.

Just to let you know your not alone, i get dmp's regulary on v9.0.4 always because i made some changes to a section, do i care not in the slightest and the reason being i just carry on as i dont have time to report a bug that is already reported.

However i think theres no one person of company to blame here. IMHO Actinic have to take some responsibility for peoples tone, people get the arse when they feel nothing is happening so the tone of comments and posts changes as frustration increases. We all say you dont help the customer out that shouts the most yet in reality you do because you want them out your shop. This is human nature and unfortunately this forum is like the actinic shop front.

I have made some over the top comments in the past, some i am not proud of either. I am as much to blame as others for using this forum as support, but part of the problem is you post it here hoping someone can help you out and a bod from actinic will ask you lots of questions and then it ends up being a place for actinic support. I honestly believe support should contact you directly about these issues if the forum cant resolve it. Then it gets logged and maybe the inhouse actinic system will apply the correct action and priorities.

Im not saying im right but we have been promised things are changing but i personally think actinic need to look at how they handle support problems, there is no live support tracking system, i dont know whats happened to my support ticket.

I have alot of decisons to make over the next 6 months and some involve me changing my current activities to give me time to support a major project and currently this does not involve the changing of software as i dont have the time so V10 will be out when i get some time and then i can take a real look with the hope some of these very annoying problems have gone away

as for love - well theres always two sides to a relationship

Comment

Bugs don't get left behind in old versions, I can't comment on how many have been fixed in V10 though.

I haven't upgraded to V9 (because I didn't really need it - I only really use Actinic for design, upload, download and customer accounts) but I will upgrade to V10 to get the new checkout and feefo, I'll switch to Actinic payments at the same time and make myself a nice little MOTO form for offline orders on my labels site. The checkout improvements alone are worth upgrading for IMHO.

.. almost forgot .. have a bit of love in the form of these hugs George [[[[[[George]]]]]]] :-)

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
          The checkout improvements alone are worth upgrading for IMHO.
          ill take your word for that, us mere mortals have to wait to see if its as good as we are led to believe

Comment

Originally posted by grantglendinnin View Post
            Discuss, stating sources (where relevant), 10 Marks.
            1. Mark Hamill, played Luke Skywalker, further info

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
              II dislike the v9 interface quite a bit. I'd imagine v10 will be based on the v9 one?
              I hope not. It has not been designed by someone who uses it on an hour to hour basis. There are some nice bits but overall it is not right and v8 has the edge for daily use.

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Gabe suggested a great idea on the feedback site for the toolbar. I'd imagine for 99% of people, that getting rid of 60% of the buttons up there would be much better. Also provide clear larger images as Gabe illustrated or like Excel 2007 did for example. The toolbar is a bit of a mess and needs an overhaul, not by actinic management, not by actinic support, not even by actinic developers. They should focus solely on what the acitnic user says. Upload and download should be big buttons as an absolute bare minimum IMO.

Comment

You can edit the contents of the toolbar to get rid of stuff that you don't want.

Chris

Comment

Will the user interface for v10 be similar to v9 or back to the style of v8?

No harm in asking.
                    Football Heaven

Comment

The v10 interface will be pretty much the same as v9.

I've clocked that the v8 interface is more popular than v9, particularly with experienced users. The changes in v9 were supposed to make things easier for newbies. Of course it's hard to measure whether this has worked, as by definition people new to Actinic in v9 never used v8.

Also, looking back through this thread, and for information, lot's of bugs are being fixed in v10, quite a few of which have been brought forward from v9.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.
                        Football Heaven

Comment

Dear Santa,
                          I know I've been a bad boy but this christmas, all I wanted was an online database and an API. Why did I get reviews and a checkout?

Comment

LMFAO

seriously any news on alpha and beta releases, i know theres going to be a 100 & 1 people telling me they want it right before its released, but im a realist and it is never going to be right, just levels of rightness (nice word although made up)

the reason i ask is the length of time since v9 was released, almost 2 years now unfortunately the intergrated thiord party review system is not a biggy for me but the addition of GC and better checkout are.

GC really for the built in review system that google is now using in its base results so like it or not to help with seo this is going to be another piece of the jigsaw and it will fit nicely with a new site im working on for doing e-commerce testing to see if we can find the one thing that improves conversion rates.

Comment

With regard to the new interface that has been in place from V9, I hated it when it first arrived (it's a trait of mine though to hate all change) however having worked with it I now find that it's quite the opposite and that when I do work on V8 (my own sites use V8 still) that I find it hard to use. The toolbar in particular is much better from V9 upwards for me.
                              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                              Multichannel order processing
                              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
                              X