Help: SMTP issues with 1&1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: SMTP issues with 1&1

Hi - I have just moved 3 of my clients Actinic sites to a 1&1 business server due to the current incumbent closing their services.

The domain names are hosted on Fasthosts and I have changed the DNS records to point to 1&1.

All works fine except Actinic is not generating any emails. I have tried every possible combination for the Email Settings in the Network Setup screen I can think of but no joy.

Running the Network Test displays:

The 'SMTP server' address entered in the 'Web | Network Setup' is incorrect, or not a valid SMTP server.
    Possible Solutions:
    1) Try "localhost" as the "SMTP Server"
    2) Check the "SMTP Server" host name, user name and password with your server host, then correct the details in 'Web | Network Setup'
    3) Check your firewall settings
    I've addressed all of these issues.

When I run the wizard I get the message

The specified server does not appear to be running a mail server or the server is down. Connection timed out.
    The email accounts work fine for Sending and Recieving emails within Outlook/Thunderbird.

Any ideas?
    Regards
    David

You should be able to use

mrvnet.kundenserver.de

AFAIK this is the only SMTP relay server that 1and1 still give access to on the hosting side.

You should note that this does suffer from a 20 second delay that 1and1 has implemented to throttle down the spammers. This affects both the sending of emails and causes a delay in the checkout due the peculiar way sellerdeck has structured their code for handling emails during the checkout ( a known issue that still hasn't been fixed).

Because of all this, the best option for sending emails from 1and1 is to use Norman's sendmail patch that bypasses these issues.

All this is already on the forum.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

H Mike - thanks for the reply.

I am using 'localhost' with username and password specified for other sites and it works fine.

These other sites are using Sellerdeck13 though, are hosted on a managed server and not their business package and the domains reside on the 1&1 servers.

I'll take a look at Norman's path - here if anybody else needs it:

http://community.sellerdeck.com/show...t=52814&page=5
      Regards
      David

Comment

Hi David,

Yes. the managed / dedicated servers are fine with smtp. It's just the shared servers / hosting (including business) that have to use the open relay servers.

Norman has published full details of the sendmail patch here: http://www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff/archive.html - Scroll down to the very bottom of the page for the link.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Norman's patch works so thanks to you both.
          Regards
          David

Comment

Working...
          X