Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the forum Spelling checker?

Hi
    Would you please enable it? It just needs a click on your Admin page.

It will certainly help, instead of manually check everything.

Thanks
    Ciao
    actinico

ps sorry for any 'typing' errors or mistaks
    ;-]

I disagrea. The layout of a post and it's speeling is a great sign on whether you can help or nat.

Comment

mmmmmmmmm!...

Now I seem obliged to reply, although I do not have time for it.

I am sorry you feel like that, but that is 'your' personal opinion and having the checker on is up to the subscriber to use it - it is not always on - it is called democracy. My was not an opinion, but a request for all of us - for or against it.

1. Initially I wanted to send a PM to Actinic because I knew I would start this kind o replies, then by mistake I opened a thread.
      2. my question was and it still simply is to please activate the spelling checker and I would like it on simply because:
      a. it would only be enabled but not on all the time and any subscriber can simply click on it at their pleasure, so nobody oblige you to use them
      b. since the advent of computer (especially within the latest generation of 'humans' :-]) are loosing their spelling, see email you receive or possible send - this is a debate going on and on in many forums around the world (I personally read and agree with) - that is another reason why I wanted to PM and not open a thread - never mind
      c. my personal reason in this case was simply because when you type a long reply and especially when it is technical, it is very important to be clear and concise - use the right words - I wished to have the spell checker on so I could use it to correct 'typing' error mainly and not spelling error and if I had asked to switch the typing checker on, they would not understood me - I am an electronics technician (amongst other things) and I learned to be a simple as possible to make my customers understand my words and make use of my suggestions - when asked

Fortunately my English is not bad at all (for a foreigner born!) and all this comes from several emails I receive weekly and I would say 10% are easy to grasp the e-meaning but other are not because customers do not check their typing. It is called 'experience'

Regarding contents of replies, I personally did and do leave my attempt to solve problems and that worked in order to help others and since I am a kind of person that 'enjoys' helping other human beings, I will not desist to do it in the future as I always did, when if I have the answer or a possible answer.

I hope this clears the air and close this thread.

I repeat it was not intended as a wasting time, but a saving time - having the 'spelling' or 'typing' checker on!

Thank you for reading this

Please just smile and lets be friends and no 'mistaks' please!

PS at least I do not use the forums free advertising machine
      Ciao
      actinico

;-]

Comment

Chill out and grab a sense of humour.

Comment

Clever way of getting out of it!

[A friend of mine writes humour - so, I am used to it! - your was not humour, but advertisng yourself - this is what humours me!]
          Ciao
          actinico

;-]

Comment

Hi there

Just ot let you know, the forum doesn't appear to have spell-checking functionality. Sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by actinico
              advertisng yourself - this is what humours me!
              Unless abused this should be OK as most users on here are offering their own free time to assist so any small kick-back is probably welcome... although I personally have never given out my web address or advertised clients sites on this forum through my own personal choice.

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Actinic don't need to do this - there are several solutions freely available.

You can install the Google Toolbar. This will check spelling when typing into a form. If you've already got the Google toolbar, it's the ABC icon in said Toolbar.

Also, if you're using IE, there's another spell checker (www.iespell.com - another ABC icon) ready to be added. Start a post and click the ABC icon in the top right of the textarea field where you post messages like this one to find out more.

PS Lee was being light hearted. It's the Christmas season and we're occasionally allowed a bit of joking.

PPS There's a well known Internet maxim - be strict in what you send and generous in what you accept.

It's really intended for bits of software talking to each other - if you're writing the code that sends something be as strict, clear and unambiguous as possible. If you're writing the code that's receiving something, be lenient about receiving stuff that's not as strictly defined as you'd like.

It works pretty well when posting here too. Tell us clearly what your problem is, but be prepared to get answers that aren't what you want.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

The new version of Firefox automatically complains about my spelling whenever I'm typing into an online form. Unfortunately, I cannot get the thing to recognize the fact that I am not American, and so it's not as useful as it should be.

Comment

OK thanks [ strange!]

//
                    Hi there

Just ot let you know, the forum doesn't appear to have spell-checking functionality. Sorry about that.

Chris Dicken
                    Actinic Software

//
                    Ciao
                    actinico

;-]

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                      .... If you're writing the code that's receiving something, be lenient about receiving stuff that's not as strictly defined as you'd like.

It works pretty well when posting here too. Tell us clearly what your problem is, but be prepared to get answers that aren't what you want.

I know, that is life !
                      Ciao
                      actinico

;-]

Comment

I halve a spelling checker,
                        It came with my pea see.
                        It plainly marks four my revue
                        Mistakes I dew knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
                        And weight four it two say
                        Weather eye am wrong oar write
                        It shows me strait aweigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
                        It nose bee fore two long
                        And eye can put the era rite
                        Its rarely ever wrong.

I've scent this massage threw it,
                        And I'm shore your pleased too no
                        Its letter prefect in every weigh;
                        My checker tolled me sew.

Comment

BRILLIANT!

(get a life)

edewkated hoomans tend to tipe korektly N E weigh fanx.
                          Paul
                          Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

hi, firefox spell check works well, uk dictionary is available as a free download.
                            To check your version
                            open firefox
                            click on tools
                            select add-ons
                            You should see a dictionary listed,
                            You can then click on 'get extensions' and browse through hundreds of dictionary's and choose the one you want. Also works with thunderbird and sea monkey.
                            The link to the uk version is

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3366/

Wes
                            Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Originally posted by wesleythorne
                              hi, firefox spell check works well, uk dictionary is available as a free download.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3366/

Wes

Hi
                              Thanks

I see there still is somebody with a sense of humanity and grown up!
                              Ciao
                              actinico

;-]

Comment

Working...
                              X