acatalog folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acatalog folder

Is there a reason why you have to have a acatalog folder to store the cat files etc on your hosting server?

Is it for tidiness or is there another reason?

Can you upload without using this folder?

You can change it to another name but cannot make it the root. There are caveats. See them via Web / Network Setup / Online Store Folder Name - click Change (you can cancel out after reading the popup).

And, of course, any links that are lurking on the web to your old acatalog/ pages will not work unless you use an .htdocs directive to fix that.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I think the main reason Sellerdeck uses a separate folder for all it's stuff is that it keeps everything separate from the rest of your website thus avoiding potential conflicts in filenames and making it much safer to perform operations like purge and refresh, etc.

It is a sensible thing to do and there's no real reason not to do it this way.
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Just have the issue of the acatalog folder becomes part of the URL and I was asked to remove it by my SEO guy. I didn't think you could and agree it's better to keep all the files organized etc than just dumping them in the root

Comment

Originally posted by Faulkds View Post
          Just have the issue of the acatalog folder becomes part of the URL and I was asked to remove it by my SEO guy. I didn't think you could and agree it's better to keep all the files organized etc than just dumping them in the root
          Hi Faulkds - take heed of what Norman has said higher up - you can change acatalog to be whatever you want it to be. Just ensure that redirects are set up if you do decide to do this.

We typically use "uk" as our catalog directory - I.E https://www.columnradiators4u.co.uk/...radiators.html
          Matt. M - SMR Enterprises Ltd.

Comment

Yes you do get this nonsense from SEOs but it is way less important than good and unique title, h1 description and content.
            Renaming acatalog to a more relevant name is ok but as Norman says you need to rewrite in htaccess. Create a list of all your HTML pages in excel then use the other columns to add the Redirect 301, the acatalog/ and your new folder name next to a second instance of the html names. Use excels drag and duplicate.
            Jonathan Chappell
            Website Designer
            SellerDeck Website Designer
            Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
            Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys, wont be rewriting anything.

Leave it as is I think....

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
              X