Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Data Feed Brand

Hi,

I am sure it is a simple solution i am not seeing - could you please help?

In the general tab on a product the Google Data Feed Brand on my site seems to have all one brand - it must be something i have done trying to get the GTIN correct.

How do i set up the individual brand names for a section at a time including all products in that group.

Thanks

Originally posted by plumbbob View Post
    Hi,

How do i set up the individual brand names for a section at a time including all products in that group.

Thanks
    You can just enter the brand at section level and all products within that section will assume that brand, unless you explicitly specify a different brand against the product.
    Andy Barrow
    http://www.codepath.biz
    T: 0161 870 6355

Accredited Sellerdeck development partners since 2004.
    Data import / export and catalog management plug-ins.

Comment

Thanks Andy,

Thats what i thought would happen but it doesnt - Kiran at Support has just told me it cannot be done?

Comment

Thanks Andy,

Thats what i thought would happen but it doesnt - Kiran at Support has just told me it cannot be done?
        I may be misunderstanding the issue then because the behavior I described above is the fundamental principal of inheritable custom variable values that's been about since v8.

Do you mean the section-level brand is not showing up at product level, when you inspect the variable, or that it is being exported incorrectly by the Google Feed function?
        Andy Barrow

Comment

Yes if the brand is set at section level it doesnt seem to filter down into the products - i think there is something up at design level with the variable
          Attached Files

Comment

the brand's "Initial Value" needs to be "Use Parent". This must have been changed at some point and means that now each product created since then has an explicit 'blank' against it for the brand, instead of (Use Parent).

Change the variable's setting back to what it should be to correctly assign new products but any products created since it was set incorrectly will need to be reverted to (use parent) manually, or by removing the correct user-defined property records from the database.
            Andy Barrow

Comment

Thanks

I have just changed this and looked at a section named 'Twyfords' Under this i have 10 sub sections all with various products in and none have a brand still.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks

I have just changed this and looked at a section named 'Twyfords' Under this i have 10 sub sections all with various products in and none have a brand still.

Cheers
                As per my last, changing the variable will affect products you create from now on. Any product created whilst the variable was set incorrectly will have a blank value against the brand at product level which can only be changed by manually reverting the product to use parent - see attached image. Then it will have the value (Use Parent (=xxxxx)) where xxxxx is the brand you set at section level.

Edit: If you still have no product-level brand after doing that, the brand variable at sub-section level may also contain blank values for the same reason. If so, revert the subsection-level variable to (use parent) also, so it can inherit the main section's value and in turn allow the product to inherit from the subsection.

OR, if all that's a bit confusing, give me a call on the number in the footer and I'll talk you through.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Andy@codepath; 26-May-2016, 03:16 PM.
                Andy Barrow

Comment

Thanks i will take a look in the morning

Comment

Hi Andy,

I have added a new section this morning - test added a brand and then the new sub section and then product did indeed pick up the use parent 'test' so all new works

So it looks like i will have to manually re input all of my existing brands as i have filled in sections and sub sections and the existing products that have been there years are all empty.

On the design/library where you said initial value is Use Parent should the top level value be empty?

Thanks

Comment

Forgot to say - Sellerdeck support mentioned exporting site then editing spreadsheet where brand is empty and importing back in but it looks a bit dodgy to me - cannot see where the file is for editing plus it is a .csv file

Comment

Good that you're at least setup correctly going forward.

'Top Level' defines what a product's brand will be if you don't specify it anywhere within it's product / section hierarchy - think of it as a default setting. You can either specify your most popular brand at 'Top Level' to avoid specifying it against several sections, or leave it blank as you have and ensure you specify a brand at each section level to override it. Either route is fine.

If reversing all the blank brands is a large task for you then I could write you a script to do this automatically at database level. Please call me on the number below if you want to discuss this further.
                        Andy Barrow

Comment

Working...
                        X