How can I delete large amounts of stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I delete large amounts of stock

If I run MSAccess and open up the correct database can I simply delete the unwanted product lines?

We are working through thousands of products changing the VAT setting and deleting many discontinued lines. It would be easier to do it in a sheet rather than in the Product menu, which is tedious and slow!

I worry that simply deleting products where I find them in a database will cause a problem if there are links between the various databases. Can it be done in one of the databases and what is it called if it can please.

Thanks in advance

D

Why not just right click and cut, on sellerdeck then compact a couple of times when finished or when you have done quite a few
    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by The Baby Studio View Post
      I worry that simply deleting products where I find them in a database will cause a problem if there are links between the various databases.
      EDIT----
      My apologies, Derwent. My comments in this and the next post relate to Sellerdeck's e-commerce solution as I did not notice that your post was in the EPOS group. I would suggest that the manual deletion of products in EPOS in the way you suggest would have a similar result but cannot confirm this. Again, sorry for any confusion.
      EDIT----

You worry justifiably. Just deleting products will result in partial removal of the required data which at best will leave lots of unwanted orphan properties and variables, and at worst, these orphans being assigned to new products in future if you re-use the product references deleted.
      Last edited by Andy@codepath; 13-Jun-2016, 07:11 PM.
      Andy Barrow
      http://www.codepath.biz
      T: 0161 870 6355

Accredited Sellerdeck development partners since 2004.
      Data import / export and catalog management plug-ins.

Comment

If you'd rather do this in a worksheet, as per your original post, we have a plug-in that enables you to export any products to Excel, make various changes to the data, and then re-import them back.

You can update pretty much any of the product fields, including the 'deleted' status, (as illustrated below), so you'd just the status to 'D' (deleted) and then the re-import will take care of correctly flagging all related records.

More Info: http://www.codepath.co.uk/software/C...Re-Import.html
        Attached Files
        Andy Barrow
        http://www.codepath.biz
        T: 0161 870 6355

Accredited Sellerdeck development partners since 2004.
        Data import / export and catalog management plug-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by The Baby Studio View Post
          If I run MSAccess and open up the correct database can I simply delete the unwanted product lines?

We are working through thousands of products changing the VAT setting and deleting many discontinued lines. It would be easier to do it in a sheet rather than in the Product menu, which is tedious and slow!

I worry that simply deleting products where I find them in a database will cause a problem if there are links between the various databases. Can it be done in one of the databases and what is it called if it can please.

Thanks in advance

D
          You need to ensure that you really want to delete lines. This may impact sales reporting if you want historical data for items sold. These will be in the transaction tables, but you might want to refer back to data in the other tables,

Remember with Sellerdeck EPOS you have 3 main tables for stock: Product, Supplier and Barcode. You will orphan products if they are not delete in all the tables.

It is far better to Archive all the tables..just in case so you have a complete copy. Then use an Access query to delete from all the required tables.

If your confident with Access, then its straight forward, but if not we can help you do this as it can get quite messy with the 3 core tables having being out of sync and would cost the earth to do either.
          All the best
          Jo & Andrew
          https://www.rbosystems.com

Comment

Working...
          X