SD vs Gmail apps for business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD vs Gmail apps for business

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I am really needing help on this. As my server was hacked, I have had to have my emails going via Gmail Apps for Business. At least I can now send/receive emails but as my email is going via Gmail and my website hosted with UKFast, my website contact page doesn't work

Also, I no longer receive the auto email order acknowledgments. I have tried to change the SMTP settings in Network Settings, which doesn't do much. Is there a .PL file that I need to manually edit for it to work again?

I can't be the only person having this issue

Thank you

Hi Kev,

It does sound as if your emails aren't getting sent.

What happens when you try a network test? Are you getting an error message?

It's also worth checking in your error.err log. Are you seeing any email related error messages in there?
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hello Mike

I can't check the Err log until I return (I'm out of office at the min) but when I done a Test, SD confirmed all was well. No error messages at all. SD does download the orders, just no contact form working or order email acknowledgements

It was fine before I moved my email from my server and changed to using Gmail for my emails. I'll re-check Network Settings unless there's something I'm missing although I can't think what

Comment

I've had a similar problem in the past.

The emails are sent from the server using port 25 (which, IIRC, is for unauthenticated email?)

I changed it to use port 587 and the emails worked.

The way to do this is to edit the actinic.pm file.

Search for $nSmtpPort and replace 25 with 587

Save the file and upload the website.

Perhaps SellerDeck should make this a user definable port?
        Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
        SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
        Based in rural Northants

Comment

Why not go back to using UKFAST for your emails as well as your site
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

just no contact form working or order email acknowledgements
            Are any emails from Sellerdeck getting through? If none of them are then there's definitely an smtp problem. An easy test is to try and send one of the customer emails from within sellerdeck to your own email address and see if it arrives.

When yo do the network test, do you get the test email in your inbox?

Goz's post about the smtp port is a good point to check when using an external email service. Note that the network test uses it's own script where you'd also have to change the port number to get the test email.

Sendgrid offer a really good email service which I think is still free for sending up to 100 emails a day. They include some nice stats on the number of emails sent and deliverability. As Chris says though, if you can UKFAST working again then that's always the best option as it's going to be the easiest to look after.

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I'm now back with SD, Goz, I think you might have nailed this on the head but I've not yet tried it but I'm about to

Chris, the reason why is because my server was hacked (Twice now in fact in 12 months) and UKFast can't help me as my IP is blacklisted and I can't email to Gmail or Outlook customers, so I had to get a 3rd party IT guy to help me out, therefore, my website is still on UKFast but emails are now via Gmail Apps for business, however, I just went through the Network setting again,

SMTP: smtp.gmail.com

Password/username entered, then run a test and SD flagged up this:

The 'SMTP server' address entered in the 'Web | Network Setup' is incorrect, or not a valid SMTP server.
              Possible Solutions:
              1) Try "localhost" as the "SMTP Server"
              2) Check the "SMTP Server" host name, user name and password with your server host, then correct the details in 'Web | Network Setup'
              3) Check your firewall settings
              SellerDeck Mail Test completed successfully
              server: passed
              connection: passed
              sockets: passed
              communications: failed
              authorisation: failed

I googled it and its Gmail doing this in my opinion

Mike, no, SD test emails NOT coming through at all and you have made some blooming excellent tests for me to try

Because of all your replies, I'm feeling confident that it will work for me again today

Goz, Yes I agree. SD SHOULD make this a definable port because I was on the verge of throwing up (ill) over this since Friday

I'll let you all know so it might help others if this works

Comment

Where is $nSmtpPort file?

I've used my "Search" facility on the pc and it comes back with a file called Test Settings. is this the one?

PS, my out going mail is now port 465, but it was 25

Comment

I ran one of these free newsletter block emails and got blacklisted but UKFAST helped me quite a lot and also made it IP dependent to enter the site which is another level of protection

I also found a blacklist somewhere and went through it to every domain black listing me and filled in their request to be removed all ok after aa couple of weeks

Really funny how these free make life easy come back to send you mad even when you try not to fool anyone

Good luck
                  Chris Ashdown

Comment

I know Chris, This is a MUST HAVE as it gives you direct access for de-listing yourself

Fact is, my server was hacked and I got 32,000 emails bounce back to me, it was that bad that is was someone who sent out hundreds of thousands of emails without me knowing until the next day. Like you, I'm an online company and black listed

The links below are what I found to check "Your" IP and another to get the exact contact details to de-list yourself on behalf of of some nice person hacking my site

But what I need to know is:

I've used my "Search" facility on the pc and it comes back with a file called Test Settings. is this the one in Site 1 folder?

PS, my out going mail is now port 465, but it was 25

http://blog.online-domain-tools.com/...om-blacklists/

http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/YOUR IP.html

Comment

Read post #4.

And if you want to fix the Network test, also edit TestSettings.pl and do the same as in post #4.
                      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

And if you want to fix the Network test, also edit TestSettings.pl and do the same as in post #4.
                        I often wondered where that was! Thanks Norman.
                        Based in rural Northants

Comment

Actinic.PM file and Testsettings.PL edited to port 587

Computer says "No"....
                          : 535 Incorrect authentication data

Contact form not working still
                          The 'SMTP server' address entered in the 'Web | Network Setup' is incorrect, or not a valid SMTP server, which I entered smtp.gmail.com

How the heck can it be not valid when it clearly is being that it is my smtp...

so, the above advice doesn't work and SD is not up to the 21st Century, I don't know anymore what to do

Perhaps I'll try Sendgrid as Mike mentioned as it appears to work for others to get the auto emails, perhaps they do a nice contact form I can drop in to my SD as well so that it all works again

Comment

See this : https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

The relevant bit might be :

• Port 465 (SSL required)
                            • Port 587 (TLS required)

You could try port 465 instead of 587?
                            Based in rural Northants

Comment

Working...
                            X