Single Product Page Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fairyglass View Post
    I've had the same issue today and managed to solve it. I'm running W7 64bit in case it's different for other systems. Open the Converter folder and right click any file- go to properties. You should see a button at the bottom saying something to the effect "this file is blocked- click to unblock". Unblock all files in all folders inside the Converter folder, it will now work.
    Hope this helps.

Ben - you really are a timely STAR!

I phoned support late on this afternoon with this issue and their suggestion was to set User Access Control to minimum settings.

However,

1. I wasn't impressed with having to do that
    2. It didn't work anyway.

By the time I did this and rebooted the laptop support had closed for the day.

I faced the prospect of manually updating 1500 products tonight as I really didn't want to wait until the morning.... and then your post appeared.

It works. Fantastic.
    Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
    SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
    Based in rural Northants

Comment

Hi Guys
      Sorry I'm a bit confused ... so for the technically inept amoung us

does the converter keep the page names the same and therefore keep all your current google links if you have sub-sections as a way of creating single product pages. I've just requested my v11 key and then read this thread!!

TIA Donna
      Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

If you have subsections for SPP right now then that structure will be passed into v11 as part of the upgrade - just like any other section page.

As you already have established SPP pages in sections then I would suggest you do not change that approach for your existing pages. To maintain your SEO I would keep your existing pages as they are.

The new method available in v11 allows you to simply tick a box to create a product page without it needing a section of it's own. You don't have to use it this way and it will not go ahead and convert your SPP pages as part of the upgrade.

There are pros and cons in both approaches. For most people they now have a simple method creating SPPs. On large sites this is also more efficient for the database too. You do not have breadcrumbs on the v11 single click SPPs which is a drawback for some people.

Comment

Thanks Duncan. x
          Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Says converted but doesnt??

Ok, prob me being thick here.

Ran prog - says converted, but has done nothing.

Am I missing somthing?
            http://www.movie-stuff.co.uk
            http://www.zonzab.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
              Raj, I posted an answer to your question in Get Satisfaction. The release version of the converter does add the product reference to the page name. You can download it from www.actinic.co.uk/about/v11.php4
              Bruce, I have now tried the release version from the location provided and the SSP converter has failed to append the product [reference] to the end of the [Short Description] to form the [page name].HTML for the Product Page, Page Name: ???

To be clear, I have done to following (in case I am using it incorrectly)
              1. Create a v7 snapshot
              2. Import Snapshot into v11 [via import site] let upgrader do its work
              3. Reset theme layouts & Close v11
              4. Open & run converter on the upgraded ActinicCatalog.mdb located C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\Actinic v11\Sites\Site1
              5. Open v11

Added 17/10/11 8.30
              After struggling with this issue I have tried to reset all the affected products back to how they were before using the ConvertSSP by the follow sql, so I can re try using the ConvertSSP but using the existing extended info page page as the Product Page name. The sql works but the converter does not seem to want update with the new setting?
              The Page Name field & tick bock appear blank, when viewed in Actinic product details Also when viewed in a qry on the database but when you tick and then untick the "box generate a seperate page just for this product" on the Product Page the Page Name field is then populated again with the same info that was deleted, as if stored in a cache some were???

UPDATE Product SET Product.bGenerateSingleProductPage = 0, Product.sSingleProductPageName = ""
              WHERE (((Product.nProductType)=0));

It appears that after all the testing the converter only appends the product ref for duplicates, is this correct?

Hope to hear back soon?

Comment

design problem

Hi I had also the problem with
                "Safety settings on this computer prohibit accessing a data source on another domain"

clicking "unblock" didn't help

But I found an other way, copy your database somewhere like in a usb key then run the program to patch the database, then copy your new database to your actinic site folder, it worked for me.

However, I have a problem, the design of the one product page is completely different to the one of the entire site.

I had my website redesigned by a web designer with v10, the design moved across nicely on v11, but on the one product per page, I find my old design before the web designer.(different banner on top, different column content on right and left on the page...)

How can I change this please?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Cleaning Spot View Post
                  Hi I had also the problem with
                  "Safety settings on this computer prohibit accessing a data source on another domain"

clicking "unblock" didn't help

But I found an other way, copy your database somewhere like in a usb key then run the program to patch the database, then copy your new database to your actinic site folder, it worked for me.

However, I have a problem, the design of the one product page is completely different to the one of the entire site.

I had my website redesigned by a web designer with v10, the design moved across nicely on v11, but on the one product per page, I find my old design before the web designer.(different banner on top, different column content on right and left on the page...)

How can I change this please?

Thanks
                  Check the layout tab for the products, or their parent section, and make sure they're all using the same layouts as the correctly displayed pages (particularly the overall page layout, if it's a different/old header you're seeing)
                  Tracey

Comment

Raj, sorry for the delay in replying. I have followed your scenario and I found the same thing. If you upgrade a v7 site to v11 and convert all products to Single Product Pages, the Product Reference is only appended to the Product Page name for product duplicates, not for the parent product.

This does not happen with sites upgraded from v10 (I haven't tried v8 or v9), so it's a bit odd and I don't have an explanation ATM. I will ask the developer who wrote the app, but unfortunately he is very busy ATM, so I'm not sure how soon he will be able to look at it.

I'm afraid I don't know SQL and I can't advise on undoing the changes made by the Converter. I think it would be easier to re-import the snapshot and run the converter again with the 'Convert Extended Info pages' option if that's appropriate for you. In this case the page name is preserved in the conversion to Product Pages. I have tested this with an upgraded v7 site and it works fine.
                    Bruce Townsend
                    Ecommerce Product Manager
                    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Raj, I suddenly realised what the issue is, and I have a fix for you.

The problem is that v7 sites import with the Product Page name set as modifiable in duplicate (this option was not settable in v7).

The fix is, do the following after you import the snapshot into v11, and before running the converter:
                      1. Select 'Duplicates Field Configuration' from the 'Settings' menu
                      2. Scroll down and untick the check box against 'Product Page (Product Name)
                      3. Click OK Twice

Now run the converter and the Product Reference will be appended to all the Product Page names
                      Bruce Townsend

Comment

Thanks Bruce, That has/will have resolved the issue but your reply crossed my typing an update as I had found the problem too after looking at what the convert-spp.js was doing and spotted the following line which led me to untick all boxes in the Duplicates Field Configuration!

var sWhere = (bSPPPageNameModifiable || bExtInfoPageNameModifiable) ? ' Where nProductType < 2;' : ' Where nProductType = 0;';

thanks again.

Comment

V11 Breadcrumb Trail for New SSP Pages

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          This is a great tool and thanks for providing it, it will save people a lot of work but I just wanted to point out that the single product pages in V11 don't have a breadcrumb trail, so it might not be the best idea to convert extended info pages that do have both menus and breadcrumb trails.

Regards,
                          Originally posted by Duncan Rounding View Post
                          As this method reduces the section count I would assume better performance on large sites. Only drawback as I see it is the lack of breadcrumbs.
                          Could Actinic confirm if they are looking at addressing this very important SEO / functionality / navigation issue (Breadcrumb, trail) in the next release (especially for large sites?)

Comment

We have an idea to do that but not a firm plan. The main complication is that product duplicates in different subsections can share the same product page. This is one of the key improvements compared with using subsection pages. But it does mean there can be multiple routes to the product page, so the breadcrumb trail has to be dynamic to take that into account.

This means we cannot use the existing static breadcrumb trail layouts. Something new will have to be written in Javascript. It will need to work correctly for logged in patients, for whom the links are different. And it won't work for shoppers who have JS disabled, so the existing Back link would need to be retained for those cases. There are probably other complications too, which we will need to anticipate and cover. So it's not a minor task.
                            Bruce Townsend

Comment

Bruce, Your feed back is much appreciated. I do like this Actinic forum!

Comment

Hi

Not at all sure about the SPP but looks like it could be useful. Am I correct in assuming that the converter will work with 10.04 site? Anyhow, downloaded and trying to use this but keep getting error message - "database does not support single product pages" when trying to convert. I've set the site up using sub sections (apart from on section)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Stewart
                                www.zikzak.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X