Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipad and cookies

Dear all

Since upgrading to sellerdeck we have noticed a decline in web sales and I now think this might be down to the fact that when you click 'add to cart' on an ipad you get transferred to the bounce page telling you the site uses cookies, and does not give you any options to proceed.

I have tested this on the showcase sites, and they seem to be doing it as well. The ipad I have experienced this on was purchased 3 months ago, and I haven't altered any of the settings.

Oddly, I have tested it on an older ipad, and the cookie settings are the same in safari - block cookies from third parties and advertisers, but it doesn't take me to the bounce page, and let's me proceed with the purchase.

Is there a way of changing this? It may be that people using newer iPads are unable to purchase from Sellerdeck websites.

Many thanks,

Harry
    Last edited by HarryCornelius; 29-Jun-2014, 08:29 AM. Reason: New info
    Harry

Webmaster and Art Consultant
    http://www.mulberrytreegallery.co.uk

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? Or options available to me? We haven't had any sales for a few weeks now, which is very unusual.

Many thanks,
    Harry
    Harry

Comment

Can you post a screen grab of the bounce page you are referring to?

Comment

We haven't had any sales for a few weeks now, which is very unusual.
        That doesn't sound like a problem restricted to new Ipads then. It sounds more general than that.

For the problem you're seeing, I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a problem with a specific cookie on that device rather than a general problem.

In terms of your lack of sales, you need to look at your traffic to see if that's changed, how you're doing for your top keywords in the search engines and also look at what your competitors / other retailers are doing.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the responses. I can't work out how to paste a screenshot from the ipad, but the text on the page reads as follows. Just to re-iterate this is a fairly new ipad being used with the default setings (block cookies from third parties and advertisers) - the 3 options are 'Always' , 'From third parties and advertisers' and 'Never':

This shopping application requires permission to use cookies on your machine, but this has been denied.

This can be for several different reasons, but they are all under your control:

- you may have disallowed cookies altogether in your browser

- you may have the privacy policy in your browser or internet security software/firewall set to a level that stops cookies being used by this shopping site

Cookies in this shopping application are used to keep track of your cart contents, remember names and addresses when you ask for them to be rememberd and, when relevant, keep you logged on.

Cookies are not used in any way that abuses your privacy or security.

Please change your settings to allow cookies either in your browser or firewall. If you choose not to, I'm afraid that we cannot complete your request.
          Please click here to return to the catalog.

It is doing this on all of the Sellerdeck10 sites I visited in the showcase - I cannot purchase from any of them. I don't have a problem purchasing from other sites online.

Thanks again,
          Harry
          Harry

Comment

Almost all E-commerce sites use cookies. I'm surprised that other sites allow you to purchase, it doesn't make sense that only Sellerdeck sites would show this.

I presume if you allow cookies then you don't get the message.

I understand it highlights an issue that is due to the default settings of the browser but I don't think there's anything you can do in Sellerdeck to solve this.

This issue aside I would not expect your drop in sales to be specifically related to this. Are you getting the same traffic as usual relative to orders received? And also what proportion of that traffic is from mobile devices?

Comment

The usual problem with cookies and sellerdeck is when people mistakenly type the url without the www. when the website is set up with the www. The two are different domains so a cookie set on one domain is a third party cookie on the other and will be blocked.

Without knowing what you're doing and how you visited these sites it's impossible to know if this is the problem or not. Once the cookie has been set for the site it will continue to cause problems for that browser so the best thing is to delete the cookie.

This while problem can be avoided on the site by being consistent in the use of www. for domains and enforcing it with a .htaaccess file on the server.

You might have found a new problem but it does kind of appear to be limited to you on the one ipad. As different age of ipads often use the same version of ios and safari It seems unlikely that the problem is really specific to the ipad you have.

The best advice I can suggest is to see if the problem is persistent. i.e.

1. delete the cookies on your ipad.
              2. try again, using www. when you enter the site address.

You could also try changing the site bevaiour and use quantity in shopping cart rather than on the bounce page as you have. It might make a difference.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Many thanks for the advice.

I deleted my cookies. Typed the www address for the website, but I still get the bounce page as soon as I click 'add to cart'. IPads don't seem to show the www in the address bar, but I don't know if this makes a difference.

I've just tried the .htaccess to enforce www but that hasn't made any difference either.

I get this same issue on all the sellerdeck showcase sites, so I think it's not just an issue with my particular shop.

Also, in your last sentence you mention changing the site behaviour , and using quantity in the cart rather than on the bounce page - again, would you mind elaborating slightly please as I'm not sure what you mean here.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated. I think I may pop to John Lewis or Tescos (other shopping outlets are available) and see what behaviour I get on their devices.

Harry
                Harry

Comment

If you look in 'Design' > 'Design Options' the first item is the Shopping Mode.

You have 'Quantity on Confirmation Page' selected and I thought you might try changing this to 'Quantity in Shopping Cart'.

Also what do you have set for Bounce Page delay just under this. Is it 0?

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, and thanks for the advice.

I'm changed to quantity in shopping cart, but to no effect.

The bounce delay was set to 0 and I tried changing it to 2 as well, but same bounce page appears when you click the 'add to cart' button.

Just to confirm, this morning I disabled cookies altogether and also removed the default 'private browsing' setting. No effect, it still says on the bounce page that I am blocking cookies. As an aside, it does the same thing on your 'First Tackle' web shop as well.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

One thing I did just notice is that for a brief moment the address bar does read 'Shopping Cart....' Before switching to the bounce page - not sure if this helps...

Thanks again,
                    Harry

Comment

Quick update..

Of all the Sellerdeck 2013 showcase sites on page 1, they all allow me to 'add to cart', but the item then doesn't actually get added to the cart when I 'view cart'.

Only 3 sites actually allow me to make a transaction, and save the item in the cart and proceed to checkout:
                      Www.spicesofindia.co.uk
                      Www.filtamagic.com
                      Www.yogabodynaturals.co.uk

This seems consistent when I re-visit the sites, they behave the same way.

No idea if this is of any help at all!!!

Thanks,
                      Harry

Comment

We have a a few ipads in my house and don't experience issues with shop checkouts etc.
                        Somehow you need to try and narrow the problem down.

Have you tried on another ipad like yours? Also have you tried installing an alternative browser on your ipad and then testing?

Comment

Hi, Did you ever get this issue resolved? Cheers, John

Comment

We have the occasional iPad cookie problems too across a few different sites running 14.0.2 PXFA. Latest was last night:
                            "Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13B143 Safari/601.1"

Comment

Working...
                            X