Using Mandrill as an SMTP server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've had success recently with using the (relatively new) transactional email web application Mandrill as an SMTP server. We turned to this because it wasn't possible to configure Google Apps Gmail as the SMTP server in SellerDeck, due to the SSL connection needed for Apps which SellerDeck doesn't support.

Once you have a Mandrill account and API key, you can plug those details into SellerDeck's (or Actinic's) three SMTP settings. All of your customer order confirmation and other SellerDeck-generated emails will be logged in Mandrill, with nice graphs and reports including exportable numbers for opens and clicks (for HTML emails) and deliverability % (delivered, rejected, spam reported, hard/soft bounces). There's other functionality including tags and templates which I haven't explored yet.

A big draw is that it's currently free up to 25,000 messages per month.

So if you're having trouble configuring your 'localhost' mail server, or using Google Apps for Gmail, it's well worth a try. The only modification you may need to make in SellerDeck is to change the SMTP port in ACTINIC.pm. Our account used a different port from the SellerDeck default of 25.

PS I don't work for Mandrill and there's no affiliate benefit here...
    Kenny Fraser
    http://kennyfraser.com

Mandrill seems to be part of mailchimp and their website says the first 12,000 emails are free. The feature list says you can also create a custom spf which could be useful for getting emails delivered.

Definitely something to keep in mind for any smtp problems.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

This worked a treat, thanks!
      The Patchwork Rabbit

Comment

Mandrill moving to paid MailChimp account

Just a follow-up that from March 16th 2016, the free Mandrill SMTP sending service is moving to MailChimp and users will need a monthly paid MailChimp account. Fine if you have that budget, but monthly mailing costs can run into £100s for larger lists.

Our localhost setting works OK these days, but I tried Amazon's SES (Simple Email Sending) service out of interest. Can confirm it doesn't work with SellerDeck as TLS security is required (formerly SSL), which SellerDeck doesn't support - the Network Settings : Test fails with:

Kenny Fraser
        http://kennyfraser.com

Comment

Hi Kenny,

Did you continue with Mandrill/switch to Mandrill with MailChimp or not? Any comments if you did? We are already with MailChimp and considering the best option to hook our sales contacts from SellerDeck into Mailchimp. If you have any thoughts on this let me know.

Cheers

Phil

PS just had a fine weekend in the Cairngorms
          Phil Howell
          Director
          Intuition Un Ltd
          www.turmerlicious.com A range of delicious Turmeric Latte's #veryaddictive

Also
          Awarding winning publishers of Natal Hypnotherapy™, the UK's leading provider of hypnosis for conception, pregnancy and child birth having helped over 100,000 women through antenatal courses and self hypnosis CDs
          www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk Hypnobirthing in English
          www.natalhypnotherapy.fr Hypnobirthing in french
          www.hypnobirthingclass.online Online antenatal training

Comment

I managed to get working with https://www.mailjet.com/

Mandrill recommended migrating to SparkPost, but I couldn't get that to work, after 3 hours of trying!

Not sure why Sellerdeck don't offer a solution for this directly.

Comment

Working...
            X