Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cgi error

On one section of my website
    ( http://www.ourtext.co.uk/acatalog/sh...ary_works.html )
    attempts to order get the following error message::

A General Script Error Occurred
    Error: The specified product (reference -1!x--1001) has just been removed from the catalog. Please return to the catalog and continue shopping. If you press the Refresh or Reload button on your browser, the removed products will no longer be visible in the catalog. We apologize for the inconvenience.Press the Browser back button and try again or contact the site owner

There's an erratic element to it: on some items it happens every time, with others a first order goes through and a second attempt fails.

The one thing common to all products in the section is that they are duplicates of products that work correctly in their primary location. There are duplicates in other sections which, as far as I've explores, work correctly.

Originally posted by john harding View Post
    On one section of my website
    ( http://www.ourtext.co.uk/acatalog/sh...ary_works.html )
    attempts to order get the following error message::

A General Script Error Occurred
    Error: The specified product (reference -1!x--1001) has just been removed from the catalog. Please return to the catalog and continue shopping. If you press the Refresh or Reload button on your browser, the removed products will no longer be visible in the catalog. We apologize for the inconvenience.Press the Browser back button and try again or contact the site owner

There's an erratic element to it: on some items it happens every time, with others a first order goes through and a second attempt fails.

The one thing common to all products in the section is that they are duplicates of products that work correctly in their primary location. There are duplicates in other sections which, as far as I've explores, work correctly.
    Couldn't reproduce it using Firefox browser on a Windows 7 Pro x64 PC, all items added correctly.

The 1! in the reference indicates a duplicate product (the number can be 2 or more depending on the number of duplicates of a single product), in itself I have never come across this problem before and as it only affects certain pages that might indicate the problem lies in the combination of the 1! and the product reference so that only specific combinations cause the problem and only in certain browsers!!

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

That's curious. The problem was first encountered by a customer, who contacted the composer. The composer found the same problem. I've tried it in Firefox, IE and Chrome, all with the same result.

Were you in the same Section? It's the one called Contemporary. There was, as I said, a slight erratic element to the experience, but most of the products gave the same error message.

I can't see anything irregular in the .csv export. Also the erratic behaviour - allowing ordering the first time, not the second - suggests the problem is not in the catalogue data. It's either in the catalogue or it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by john harding View Post
        That's curious. The problem was first encountered by a customer, who contacted the composer. The composer found the same problem. I've tried it in Firefox, IE and Chrome, all with the same result.

Were you in the same Section? It's the one called Contemporary. There was, as I said, a slight erratic element to the experience, but most of the products gave the same error message.

I can't see anything irregular in the .csv export. Also the erratic behaviour - allowing ordering the first time, not the second - suggests the problem is not in the catalogue data. It's either in the catalogue or it isn't.
        I used the link in your post so defintely the contemporary page, checked again on a different machine and still no problems Firefox 44.0.1 and 44.0.2

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

I've just visited that page and that product code -1!x--1001 is not there.

x--1001 is there.

Maybe you guys had a cached version of the page?
          Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
          SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
          Based in rural Northants

Comment

I don't suppose malbro would have me cached (although I like to think that everybody in the world passes through). I ran Ccleaner. No luck.

It's not all the products that fail, or at least not every time. The first couple seem to do better. It's when you get down to works by Scott Slapin that the trouble starts.

Comment

I exported the catalogue as .csv, and it shows the product code -1!x--1001. (I'm not sure where the - came from, but that's another issue, because there are a couple of codes that start, for some reason, with - and they behave exactly like the rest.)

I have found there is a difference in how SD displays duplicate product codes. I'm not sure that I remember which way round it goes, but I think that if you create them in the GUI the duplicates come out displaying the original code, whereas if you create them in a spreadsheet and import it the duplicate prefex (1!, 2! etc) is displayed.

So that duplicate product code is there, it's just for some reason not displaying. Which suits me. I don't see why the customer should be bother with exclamation marks. But I'd like him to be able to order the darn thing.

Comment

I see the problem on the page your first post links to.

Your problem is the leading "-" on the duplicates product ID. Duplicates begin 1!, 2!, etc. I tried creating a product on V11.0.6 here with Product Reference "x--1001". I then created a Duplicate and it used the correct ID "1!x--1001".

Either SD has done something wrong when generating the page, or something went wrong when you created the duplicate.

If you imported these products, it's possible that you used an invalid duplicate ID containing that leading "-".

You could try giving that product a new Product ID and see if that fixes it. Or try deleting the duplicate and recreating it.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Yes, the - worried me too, and I'm now convinced by further experiment that it is the cause of the problem. That didn't at first seem to be the case because I was getting the same CGI error message on most of the products in the Section.

There are two products in the Section that have the mysterious -, and what I find today is that everything is fine until I try ordering either of those products. From that point on, every product in the Section returns the error message.

I would have deleted the - if it appeared in the GUI but of course it doesn't, only detectable in the .csv file. I'm grateful to you for causing me to take it more seriously than I had done.

Incidentally, I value this forum more than ever now that tech support is beyond my means.

Comment

I also see the Product ID appearing on your generated pages. E.g. on Moss, Pat (1927-2013)
                    Woodwind Quartet
                    - the value 1!x-4033 shows.

This looks like you've customised the layouts and use variable ProductID instead of ProductReference. Easily fixed.

As you said, after getting the cart error, all subsequent Adds to Cart for otherwise valid products show up a script error. I think I see why this is happening. You are allowing multiple items to be bought on that page in one go. This usually is done with a single Add to Cart button at the bottom of the page, but you've put a cart button per product (or product group). After the cart bounces with the error the browser (un)helpfully leaves the quantity field for the dodgy product set non-zero. Thus a subsequent add-to-cart will try to add it again and the error repeats.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                    X