Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homepage best sellers / new products now unseen by google?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdHarrison View Post
    For those interested, I put a new product on yesterday, Google has now indexed it from the homepage best sellers very highly in under 24 hrs. I will not use the nofollow unless I see a problem.
    How did you remove the 'nofollow' ? Ed

Comment

Very easy - simply highlight a best seller / new product from your homepage in design / split view, look at the code and remove the nofollows - backup first! I always copy the code (original) in notepad or similar prior in case of mistakes.
      https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/

Ed Harrison - Menmuir Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by EdHarrison View Post
        Very easy - simply highlight a best seller / new product from your homepage in design / split view, look at the code and remove the nofollows - backup first! I always copy the code (original) in notepad or similar prior in case of mistakes.
        I think I found it, but I also found this in Meta Name <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow"> by clicking on the Best Sellers side bar

Comment

Or individually as you have mentioned and you see this <p class="mktName"><a rel="nofollow"

Which you then turn in to this? <p class="mktName"><a rel=""

or just <p class="mktName"> which is what I think you mean

Comment

That I am not sure of - hopefully someone clever will advise!

Comment

That's what I mean Ed, I'm not exactly sure which bit to delete or what the code should end up looking like

Comment

I simply removed two that I found in the code view in split screen within my best sellers, I am sure someone will clarify soon...

Comment

Remove this part:

Code:
                  rel="nofollow"

Comment

I know what you done, you edited each one individually and deleted the below which as you say, is found twice

I got and found it, well done Ed and thank you for showing help on this

rel="nofollow"

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                      We added nofollow to the cgi links as a temporary precaution due to Google's Panda update, to avoid having two URLs with the same content. I agree it's not the best solution. We do have a task in the pipeline to replace the cgi links with static ones. Unfortunately this has delayed longer than I would have liked, due to other work.
                      I've been doing this for years and proven the code on huge sites many times, let me know if you would like it.

Comment

It helped me get my new products indexed fast again, essential for promoting new products without resorting to adwords. Although it is indexing it from the best sellers the immediate traffic to the product results in it being indexed from the correct location soon after.

Comment

When you have removed the nofollow the link should start <a href.. etc and the rest of the code following as it was. Note you should not change the Meta Name tag for robots nofollow, that is not the same thing, that code should be in the outer layout or meta tags layout and surrounded by a green blockif tag which checks for test mode. I.e. it is used by the site to block search engines from indexing the site when it has been uploaded in test mode to a separate "test" folder on the server.
                          Peblaco

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                            I've been doing this for years and proven the code on huge sites many times, let me know if you would like it.
                            Lee, you're a diamond, you know where I am

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco View Post
                              When you have removed the nofollow the link should start <a href.. etc and the rest of the code following as it was. Note you should not change the Meta Name tag for robots nofollow, that is not the same thing, that code should be in the outer layout or meta tags layout and surrounded by a green blockif tag which checks for test mode. I.e. it is used by the site to block search engines from indexing the site when it has been uploaded in test mode to a separate "test" folder on the server.
                              Thank god you follow this Louise !!

I'm not changing that at all, So to clarify for anyone reading this, it is the individual items as per in the Best Sellers and New Products

Layout Code - Mini Best Seller Layout is the bit to edit, NOT the Meta Name tag

Comment

Advice.. if you are using SellerDeck filtering “make filtering the default view” the page link changes to use a cgi-bin link and needs 301 redirects or a canonical tag, but the canonical tag can't use variables store folder and page name for filtered pages as it affects search engines listings as they can't index content. See: http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=55375
                                Peblaco

Comment

Working...
                                X