My SellerDeck Account | Newsletter | Free Trial

Community and Knowledge Base

Old 23-May-2016, 02:24 PM
Full Name: Chris Ashdown
I remember that freebe it must have given hundreds of new companies a start at no risk, when we started we just sold fishermans smocks in three colours and five sizes and would have been the idea customer for it, if we had not already started

Maybe they should try it again as they need something good to get someone to spend a grand on a unknown product
Old 17-Nov-2016, 04:25 PM
Full Name: Sarah Conibear
plug in's and seo

Hi have been away from these boards for some time. Now have an updated responsive website www.westcountrylupins.co.uk in the Sellerdeck 2106 format.

I should like to know if anyone could have a look to see if they think it is better now .
I still don't think we are appearing on Google page 1 for all our plants though. I keep Twittering and Facebooking but have little idea if it is effective. I don't know whether it is worth taking ads out with Google or FB? Taylors Clematis seem to come top everytime I look for Clematis.

Also I am looking for some plugs in's for these.. such as advising customers when an item is back in stock and also being able to send a link to a friend

Thanks
Old 17-Nov-2016, 05:44 PM
Full Name: simon Wells
Hi sarah.

there's a few things that strike me as soon as i look at it - The home page doesn't really sell the product. The screen is initially taken up by 2 images of lupins - the header and then the scrolling section header. 1 image (or the scrolling image) would be enough to tell me you sell lupins (even I can recognise them), the second doesn't add anything - ok you do them in different colours but I'd guess that is the case.
You might be able to reduce the header/logo to move everything up.

The text on the home page doesn't appear until I've scrolled down a bit but it doesn't tell me why I should buy from you or what you do. It says a lot about how you will deliver and how to contact parcelforce. Although you've mentioned lupins over 80 times on the page that only represents 0.6 percent of the words and you could use it upto 4%. You could possibly leave out 2/3 of the words on the home page and have a more relevant page.

The site is slow and has a poor page speed result.
It's a little image heavy so thing like image sizes can be reduced. You are pulling in lots of images from twitter - of a 3.5m page almost 2 is made up of twitter images of which you can only see 1 without scrolling. maybe you can resize the twitter feeder? Do you think people interact with it? as it's largely below the fold i doubt it is adding anything to the page

You could optimise your images a little more - your RHS gold medal and the lupin background are almost 300k between them. The header logo is another 127k. Maybe you could merge your header and the gold medal? it will then bring your best sellers up the page into view. then there is a big space on the product pages to fit the twitter bar in before the footer. Maybe you could move your social links to the footer?

Enabling compression and caching on the server would help. You need access to your htaccess file on the server

Most of you pages contain too few words. No meta tags on a lot of pages. Titles are a little short - maybe include the colour or seasonal info in the title to pad it out and make it more interesting?

I've run a report on some of the on page stuff you can look at - see the pdf attached.

this is the google speed test https://developers.google.com/speed/...37&tab=desktop I score 75 for mobile and 85 for desktop on most of mine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf westcountrylupins_co_uk_full_2016_11_17.pdf (412.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 17-Nov-2016, 10:06 PM
Full Name: Jason
I would advise using some SEO software.

I use Screaming Frog to find the obvious, and have just started using Seobility once I have made all the changes Screaming Frog advises.

Both have free versions, I have only used these on my V16 site and visitor numbers are up by 2/3 in just the first week of going live.
Old 18-Nov-2016, 09:02 AM
If you're using screaming frog you can overcome the crawl limit on the free version by pasting in a list of pages from a site map. It doesn't release all the functions but removes the page limit
Old 18-Nov-2016, 09:19 AM
Full Name: Mike Hughes
Hi Sarah,

I think you're really doing quite well for the Clematis keywords. Searches for 'Clematis Viticella' or 'Clematis Abundance' show you to be consistently around the middle of the second page on Google. Not at all bad and a really good point for making a push onto page one.

Taylors Clematis will always have an advantage as the main keyword is in their domain name. Just as you do really well for 'Lupins'.

I am surprised that the page that's in the SERPS is your main clematis section page rather than the more focused product page and I know I bang on about this a bit but your product pages are still light on content. Your clematis abundance page for example has maybe 25 words of content at most and doesn't mention the keywords within the description.

The top two things I would spend some time on are:

1. Get more relevant content onto your product pages. Ideally 200-400 words. Make sure your keywords appear in the descriptive content.
2. Get some external links to your product pages. I would think with your lovely plant photos that pinterest would be a great way to get people sharing and linking back to your site.

The other thing to do is check your site in your google webmaster tools console. This will tell you how well your site is doing including clicks, top search results, position in the serps, links to your site, etc and will also show you areas you might need to look at including crawl errors, page download times, duplicate pages, etc.

PS. As your section pages are doing well you might also want to increase the number of words you use in the descriptive bit. Again, aim for 200-400 rather than the 67 you have. There is a problem in that with the content at the top of the page it will push down your product images so you might want to move the description to below the product images.

PPS. You have a lovely detailed page with lots and lots of information about Lupins but sadly it's titled 'More Information' and the pagename is More_Pages.html. Ideally this would be called something like 'Lupins Information' with a similar pagename so the keyword is in pagename, title and links to the page.

PPPS. I saw your latest tweet on the 'Clematis alpina Ruby' links back to your home page. If you're tweeting about a specific plant then link to that plants page. It's better for your followers and for the SEO of that plants page.

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------
Old 18-Nov-2016, 01:44 PM
plug in's and seo

Thanks for all the advice - I am not sure what this means?

I am surprised that the page that's in the SERPS is your main clematis section page rather than the more focused product page
Old 18-Nov-2016, 01:57 PM
plug in's and seo

Some of the boxes and layout looks odd in Clematis too - some have a red border, others don't.

Some fill the page, others seem randomly placed - possibly due to the size of the pictures or orientation?
Old 18-Nov-2016, 01:58 PM
plug in's and seo

I am posting daily to Twitter, Instagram, Google + and Facebook but as I'm using the buffer app it limits the number of words. Its the only way I can practically do this as it is so time consuming and I load up 10 days at a time

Point taken about directing it to my website Clematis page though. Thanks never thought of that
Old 18-Nov-2016, 02:02 PM
sorry, my reference to htacess for caching and compression was wrong as you are on a windows server. They do have a similar system but i've never used it so it might be best to talk to your hosting provider. Caching and compression are worthwhile doing.
Old 18-Nov-2016, 02:58 PM
Full Name: Malcolm Brook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1203 View Post

Also I am looking for some plugs in's for these.. such as advising customers when an item is back in stock and also being able to send a link to a friend

Thanks
Take a look at the SellerDeck Stock Reminder Extension which is designed for SellerDeck2016, it is free for 28 days so you can evaluate its usefullness and if anyone wants a copy I can provide the help files which give full details on installing the extension and screenshots of it in use. Extensions can be downloaded from the Extensions Catalogue tab in SellerDeck 2016, you can also get them from http://www.sellerdeck.co.uk/index.ph...tensions-store but they will only work with SellerDeck 2016.
Old 18-Nov-2016, 03:08 PM
do you have your pinterest account set up as a business account? you get analytics then.
Are you sharing images from your site on there? I could see a few that you'd posted but no link back to the site. Pinterest generates lots of back links and even a few visits. But you need to make sure you have good descriptions on the website to save time editing them later. There isn't a way to mass post so it's just a case of sitting there posting some when you have spare time. You can also invite other people to post to your boards in the hope they will invite you to post to theirs. Hopefully you end up with a larger audience as you then repost your links onto another board. it's slow and tedious.

You google+ page shows www.westcountry-nurseries.co.uk as your URL which then goes through 2 redirects to end up at the website. Is this necessary? can you not just use the correct url?
Old 18-Nov-2016, 03:32 PM
Full Name: Mike Hughes
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice - I am not sure what this means?

"I am surprised that the page that's in the SERPS is your main clematis section page rather than the more focused product page"
If I do a search in Google for 'Clematis Abundance' for example then the page google shows in the results for your site is your Clematis section page:

https://www.westcountrylupins.co.uk/.../Clematis.html

Rather than your Clematis Abundance page:

https://www.westcountrylupins.co.uk/...-AGM--998.html

Normally, your Clematis Abundance page would be the one that should appear as it has both keywords in the important places such as the H1 tag, the page name, the page title, links to the page, etc, etc that show the page's relevance to the search keywords.

So when a less relevant page is shown first then it's really a sign that the more relevant page is weaker in some other areas.

The areas it might be weaker in are typically things such as:

- External links to the page (from other websites):

=> Fix by getting links to the page from twitter, pinterest, etc.

- Internal links (from your website):

=> Fix by using the 'Related products' to interlink your related product pages.

- Links from the page in question to other related pages:

=> Put links for 'related products' on the page. Google likes pages that allow visitors to follow links to other related pages rather than them just being a dead end.

- Not enough content (ie text, images, videos, links,etc):

=> If a page is too light on content (relevant information, images, video, links to relevant pages, etc) then Google can decide the page isn't worth ranking highly. So put more content on the product pages.

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------