SMTP problems suddenly appeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1and1 not admitting anything wrong

None of the smtp for any of my domains are working via Actinic, though emails through Outlook working fine it seems. Obviously cannot confirm orders.

I have spoken to 1and1 twice this morning, and both times they said that there was nothing wrong and nothing changed at their end.

I have had the smtp on Actinic as smtp.oneandone.co.uk since 2004 with no problem, with requiring password not ticked. I have this morning tried auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk, and auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk to no avail, and have tried entering user name and password to no avail. So stuck.

Does anybody know if there is a delay between changing the smtp in Actinic software and it becoming effective?

Sarah

Comment

I just called 1and1... they can't understand why there's a problem as there has been no changes their end on the smtp

1and1 remotely connected to my machine and tried "mrvnet.kundenserver.de" and "mrelay.perfora.net" servers all failed now.

1and1 tested a telnet connection from my machine
      "telnet auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk 25"
      and
      "telnet auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk 587"
      and both works; and so concluded that if telnet works, then there's a problem with Actinic...

Has anyone raised this up with Actinic Support?

Tak.

Comment

they can't understand why there's a problem as there has been no changes their end on the smtp
        1and1 support they always say this and then it turns out there's been an 'update' rolled out that support didn't know about. The last time IIRC it was a perl update. They said the same thing and refuted any suggestion it was their fault but in the end they had to roll back the update until it was properly tested and configured.

Actinic has been working with the existing settings for over 5 years. Nothing has changed on the Actinic software side as we all control any updates. It is a 1and1 problem.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I think my call to 1and1 (tier 1) has hit a brick wall....
          Anyone have better results with them?

Tak.

Comment

No

I have rung them twice to no avail.

I have tried what another suggested in this thread, entering in Actinic the smtp as auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk and ticking for User Name and password required, and entering them (assuming user name is email address), but this gets same error messages.

Does any Actinic person know if there is a delay between changing this setting and it working?

Sarah

Comment

One site it happened yesterday morning - as we stopped getting confirmation emails. The other one was late yesterday evening. We are still getting orders but cannot send confirmation emails or get the copy our customer receives so assume they are not getting them either. Out contact us doesn't work either. Outlook is however fine?!

I have emailed 1&1 from their facebook page. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Donna
              Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

My call to 1and1 was moot!

Just thinking about the "test" on Actinic is not testing settings from my machine, but testing the settings on the server itself... duh!

...so a telnet / Outlook functioning on my machine means absolutely nothing!

Any alternatives as a temporary fix?

Tak.

Comment

I rang Actinic too

I rang Actinic, after getting nowhere with 1and1, and they referred me to this forum. Though it is slightly comforting to know that I am not the only person with the problem, it doesn't actually help fix it!

Sarah

Comment

I've tried mrvnet.kundenserver.de with password unchecked, and this is now working for me. I ran the network test at 12:23pm and again just now at 15:27 and both times it passed.

I know I tried it yesterday, and it did not work then!

Still worries me that we're all getting different & intermittent results, so I'll run the test again later today and tomorrow and report back any failures.

Comment

I've tried mrvnet.kundenserver.de with password unchecked
                      Yep. After a long call with them I've retried this and it is working for me too.

Mike

Comment

mrvnet.kundenserver.de does not work for us (with or without password)...

update @16:09 : test = fails, uploaded with mrvnet & no password
                        (very slow upload...), sending emails = okay, test = okay

Hmm... It's very intermittent...

If someone is having a problem and calls 1and1, try to get them to telnet the smtp server from the webserver itself (and not from their local PC)...

Tak.

Comment

Still problems here I'm afraid (just off the phone again with 1&1 support and they say they are not aware of any problems or changes and I should contact Actinic support).
                          Just so I know I'm doing the right things, after changing back to what I know are the correct settings - auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk (rather than the1and1 support insist it should be) and no passwords and default windows proxy on port 25, do I have to refresh/upload for changes to take effect, or should it just be OK to test straight away?

Comment

I've been getting the same SMTP errors since yesterday afternoon.....
                            1&1 say all is well?
                            Conspiracy Snowboard, Ski & Skate Shop
                            St. Albans, Herts
                            www.conspiracy.uk.com

Comment

1and1 say all is well.

Then they say to contact your web developer and check your scripts.

If you really push they'll offer to reset the smtp server and tell you to check back in 30-60 minutes.

I believe the 'technically' correct smtp server for use from their web servers (i.e. with actinic) is the mrvnet.kundenserver.de one. It's just that this didn't work for so long that we all used the auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk with Actinic even though that wasn't supposed to work.

mrvnet.kundenserver.de is still working for me so that's what I'm sticking with until someone come's up with something better. (but what could be better than a working smtp server?).

Mike

Comment

Just a reminder that if you have Actinic Cover, you can get emergency hosting from Actinic if you feel the issue is serious enough.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X