Google results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google results

I’m having similar issues as many others have confirmed with Google results. I too was No 1 on page 1 for several results for a good few years and recently I’m not on page 1. I’ve not changed keywords to a degree so I’m trying to get my head round the following issues:

From what I can tell, Google seems to take the Page Title that you make within Section Details/Page Settings/Page Title

Then of course the html link to your site, but the 20 odd words of description displayed below, for me at least, seems to be taken from either the Meta Description, the Fragment Information (If made) or any other general text writing. In my case I use the {Tab} code and have Product Per Page

I’m basically wondering if these 20 odd words displayed need the main keywords inserted – yes I know this is a daft question and has an obvious answer, but what on earth takes priority now? I never really had any issues until now

My Section Details/General Name for some products is slightly different to that of the Section Details/Page Settings/Page Title and that of the Product Details/General Reference and Product Details/General Short Description

If an expert wants to contact me directly, please do so

Thanks for any suggestions

Originally posted by kev67 View Post
    I’m having similar issues as many others have confirmed with Google results. I too was No 1 on page 1 for several results for a good few years and recently I’m not on page 1. I’ve not changed keywords to a degree so I’m trying to get my head round the following issues:

From what I can tell, Google seems to take the Page Title that you make within Section Details/Page Settings/Page Title

Then of course the html link to your site, but the 20 odd words of description displayed below, for me at least, seems to be taken from either the Meta Description, the Fragment Information (If made) or any other general text writing. In my case I use the {Tab} code and have Product Per Page

I’m basically wondering if these 20 odd words displayed need the main keywords inserted – yes I know this is a daft question and has an obvious answer, but what on earth takes priority now? I never really had any issues until now

My Section Details/General Name for some products is slightly different to that of the Section Details/Page Settings/Page Title and that of the Product Details/General Reference and Product Details/General Short Description

If an expert wants to contact me directly, please do so

Thanks for any suggestions

No, don't insert your keywords in your description ! Your description should be visitor friendly so that anybody looking through the Search Results (SERPs) will understand, and be drawn to, your content. As you correctly surmise, Google compiles it's data from your entire page but does rely on the Title Tag for display in its SERPs.

The answer, in part - and I would advocate this for anybody engaged in selling online - is to use Rich Snippets to help Google understand your individual product pages. It is also worth mentioning that Google does not use the Description meta tag in calculating it's rankings (Implicity, this suggests it does use the Title tag so do make sure this is relevant, accurate and unique).
    Terence
    Sellerdeck Website Design & Customisation
    onestop-webshop.co.uk

Comment

Thank you very much for replying, that does help me get my head round it

Comment

No, don't insert your keywords in your description !
        In general I'd disagree with this.

Google might not use the meta description for ranking the page but it will only show the text from meta description if it's relevant to the search, otherwise it will show a relevant snippet from somewhere on the page.

The meta description should be written to entice customers to your site but if it's not directly relevant to the search terms then it won't get displayed.

So my advice would be too include the keywords in your meta description. Not to affect the rankings but to make sure the meta description is displayed in the search results.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hello Mike

I might not have explained it clearly regarding keywords in my "description" for a product

I meant, what I write in the Product Details/General/Full Description. Obviously I didn't mean to say for example "Samsung mobile, this SAMSUNG is a MOBILE made by SAMSUNG. SAMSUNG is a SAMSUNG MOBILE"........etc, etc (I have nothing to do with Samsung)

But I do word it to obviously to describe the item, but not flood it with keywords. But I do use the 'Meta Description'

"Google might not use the meta description for ranking the page but it will only show the text from meta description if it's relevant to the search, otherwise it will show a relevant snippet from somewhere on the page." - That is EXACTLY what I mean, that is very helpful to know Mike, thanks

Comment

Working...
          X