404 Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

404 Header

We have a custom 404 page setup and the appropriate ErrorDocument 404 code in the .htaccess file.

From a user point of view this works fine. When an incorrect page is entered, it displays the 404 page.

However, from a server point of view, the 404 header is not being returned. If I use http://web-sniffer.net/ to view the headers, it shows that an incorrect page (eg. www.domain.com/blablabla )
    is actually returning a 302 found header - with the 302 redirect pointing to the 404 page, which itself returns a 200 OK status.

I'm a little concerned as this is leading to soft 404 errors in Google Search Console, with the following message displayed:

The target URL doesn't exist, but your server is not returning a 404 (file not found) error.
    Your server is redirecting requests for a non-existent page, instead of returning a 404 response code. This creates a poor experience for searchers and search engines.
    Is there some code I'm missing, either in the layouts or in the .htaccess that would return the proper 404 status header? Or does something need to be altered server-side?
Working...
X