No announcement yet.

DNS misdirect or adware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm, is it possible, do you think, that someone or something malicious corrupted their router? I only suggest this because of how common this particular DNS problem is. It's almost as though there's a very clever worm or trojan doing the rounds.
    http://www.bowstock.co.uk

Comment

for issues like these you can change your routing tables, as not all local nodes/routers have a recent cache of your site....

eg:
      NTL web proxy caches (use port 8080) are as follows.
      normally default for most ntl customers in manchester
      bagu-cache-1.server.ntli.net (Baguley)

but you can use
      bagu-cache-2.server.ntli.net [bagu]
      bagu-cache-3.server.ntli.net
      bagu-cache-4.server.ntli.net
      bagu-cache-5.server.ntli.net
      bagu-cache-6.server.ntli.net
      bagu-cache-7.server.ntli.net
      bagu-cache-8.server.ntli.net

just need to look at your router or settings to sort out how to change them

this should cure your problems you just need to check which routing table seems to have the problem, this also backups the previous post from Kevin

Most versions of Unix, Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows NT/2000/XP support the nslookup command. Open a command window and type the command nslookup followed by the DNS name or IP address that you want looked up.

eg:
      C:\>nslookup www.ntlworld.com

hope it helps people

jist is change yoru routing tables and you will probably see what you didnt see before, might even speed up your browsing
      Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
      Current project:
      cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
      cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
      Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Gareth, I have NO idea what you just said!
        Tracey

Comment

Tracy,
          I think Gareth is referring to your router settings. There will be a setting in the 'ISP settings' section where you tell your router which DNS server address to use. This address is usually given to you by your ISP but if their DNS server is corrupted then I suppose you can address another. I didn't realise this, is it correct?
          http://www.bowstock.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand
            Gareth, I have NO idea what you just said!
            PMSL need a hand holding then

Comment

thing is, the whole network is nothing to do with me. I rent managed office space with a broadband connection and the company dealing with the broadband/network aren't even in the same town as me, let alone building!
              The chances of me convincing the building managers to convince someone to come out and look at it are remote at best.
              They still haven't come to 'fix' an intermittent connection problem that's been going on for 12 months (which results in me having to manually change my IP settings in order to get logged into the network)

I'll just live with it til we move (new offices being built..yay!)
              Tracey

Comment

Working...
              X