Vouchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vouchers

We sell vouchers in the shop that a customer can use as tender against products. I know there's a voucher option in checkout screen but trying this out earlier it added the voucher as a sale

Example:
    • Customer purchases £20 voucher sale goes through till
    • Voucher comes back to the shop and goes through the till as a sale

How would I set it up so the voucher is not treated as a 2nd sale?
    www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

I recalled reading someone mentioning a similar problem.

Without knowing too much about it, THIS THREAD appears to offer a solution to how to set your vouchers up as "tender" rather than it going through as a sale
    Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
      I recalled reading someone mentioning a similar problem.

Without knowing too much about it, THIS THREAD appears to offer a solution to how to set your vouchers up as "tender" rather than it going through as a sale
      Thanks Tracey

I've read the post.....but too be honest it's not sinking in at all

I set the EPOS up in the shop ealier today and the voucher scenario came up in conversation.....as it's coming up to Christmas and we've sold quite a few. I'll have another look tomorrow.....hopefully with a clearer head

Comment

From Post #5 of the thread that Tracey linked to, this is the important bit:

From the Main Menu > Setup > option > tender Types. You should already see it there as an option, its simply a case of ticking the box to turn on the functionality. You'll then see it appear as a seperate button on your payment screen and an extra line on your Z report so you can track it.
        epos not in front of me at the mo, but post again (or phone support) if its still not working for you.

Nick
        Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Originally posted by Luddite
          From Post #5 of the thread that Tracey linked to, this is the important bit:

epos not in front of me at the mo, but post again (or phone support) if its still not working for you.

Nick
          Hi,

Yes, I've got the vouchers listed as a payment type in checkout it's just that they're going through the till twice.....as sales. 1, when the vouchers are purchased by the customer and then 2, when a customer brings the vouchers back to the shop in exchange for goods......obviously the goods need to go through to payment.

I can't seem to get my head around it

Comment

So, say someone buys a £10 worth of fishing line, and pays with a £10 voucher:

1. You scan the product
            2. Press Tender
            3. Select voucher from the tender screen
            4. Till drawer opens etc etc

Is that not how its working for you?

Nick

Comment

So, say someone buys a £10 worth of fishing line, and pays with a £10 voucher:

1. You scan the product
              2. Press Tender
              3. Select voucher from the tender screen
              4. Till drawer opens etc etc

Is that not how its working for you?

Nick
              Hi Luddite.....yeah, that's correct.....the only difference to the scenario above is that they've purchased the £10 voucher a week earlier from the shop.

Comment

I'm lost then!

We have vouchers set up as products, so when we sell them it adds the amount to our daily total, and on reports they show as £5 voucher, £10 voucher etc.

When we take them as payment, we press 'voucher' as tender - and at the end of the day when we do the z read it will tell us how many vouchers we have taken as payment.

If yours isn't doing this I can only think that there is a setting that needs to be tweaked or there is some sort of problem with your software.

Hopefully someone from Actinic will come on here to help you out.

Nick

Comment

I'm lost then!

We have vouchers set up as products, so when we sell them it adds the amount to our daily total, and on reports they show as £5 voucher, £10 voucher etc.

When we take them as payment, we press 'voucher' as tender - and at the end of the day when we do the z read it will tell us how many vouchers we have taken as payment.
                  But does that not mean that you have put the price of the voucher through your till twice? Once when the voucher was first purchased and a 2nd time when it's redeemed against products?

I think I'm missing something very obvious her Luddite sorry about this

Comment

Originally posted by Bun
                    But does that not mean that you have put the price of the voucher through your till twice?
                    I can see your line of thought.

Say you do no other transactions in a day other than this:

Bloke buys £10 voucher with cash and nothing else
                    (£10 sales)
                    Same bloke comes back in 5 mins later and buys £10 worth of fishing line - he pays with the voucher he bought earlier.
                    (£20 sales)

At the end of the day, you do your Z read and it tells you that you have £20 sales (£10 voucher, £10 fishing line), and that you have taken £10 cash, and a £10 voucher. As the voucher has no value (or 0.000001p or whatever), the vouchers kind of cancel each other out)

So you've sold £10 worth of stock, and taken £10. Everyones happy (or as happy as taking £10 in a day makes you!)

When we cash up at the end of the day our excel sheet automatically deducts Vouchers used as tender from the daily total. If we didn't do this - you'd be right, the voucher would be counted twice.

I'll confess to getting abit confused with this in an earlier thread!

Hope i've helped - have a feeling I might have confused the issue even more!

Nick

Comment

I can see your line of thought.

Say you do no other transactions in a day other than this:

Bloke buys £10 voucher with cash and nothing else
                      (£10 sales)
                      Same bloke comes back in 5 mins later and buys £10 worth of fishing line - he pays with the voucher he bought earlier.
                      (£20 sales)

At the end of the day, you do your Z read and it tells you that you have £20 sales (£10 voucher, £10 fishing line), and that you have taken £10 cash, and a £10 voucher. As the voucher has no value (or 0.000001p or whatever), the vouchers kind of cancel each other out)

So you've sold £10 worth of stock, and taken £10. Everyones happy (or as happy as taking £10 in a day makes you!)

When we cash up at the end of the day our excel sheet automatically deducts Vouchers used as tender from the daily total. If we didn't do this - you'd be right, the voucher would be counted twice.

I'll confess to getting abit confused with this in an earlier thread!

Hope i've helped - have a feeling I might have confused the issue even more!

Nick
                      Hi Nick,

I think I get where you're coming from.....so if we set up the vouchers as products, sell them for cash......they'll show up as vouchers in the Z report and we'll deduct them from our daily sales report?

It might have just clicked

Thank you for your time and patience

Comment

Yep - set them up as products with no value ( we have 2 seperate products - £5, £10, £20), sell them with ahatever tender type your customer wants.

We only deduct the voucher payments - not the sales. I do it this way round as there is always a chance that the voucher may never get used.

Glad to have helped.

Comment

I don't mean to cloud the issue..... but

It's actually better to use the face value of the voucher as the cost ie £10 voucher = cost value £10, that way you report a zero margin which is correct as you're not actually making a profit on the voucher, you're simply swapping it for a piece of paper which is worth £10. Otherwise (depending on how you do your accounts of course) you could be reporting the sale of the voucher as 100% profit (er and therefore taxable).

By reporting 0% on the voucher your accounts remain correct, and the profit will be made and reported on the goods which the voucher is later used to purchase.
                          Hope this helps not confuses
                          Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be

Comment

Originally posted by Neil_P

It's actually better to use the face value of the voucher as the cost ie £10 voucher = cost value £10, that way you report a zero margin which is correct as you're not actually making a profit on the voucher, you're simply swapping it for a piece of paper which is worth £10. Otherwise (depending on how you do your accounts of course) you could be reporting the sale of the voucher as 100% profit (er and therefore taxable).

By reporting 0% on the voucher your accounts remain correct, and the profit will be made and reported on the goods which the voucher is later used to purchase.
                            So......if the vouchers are sold at face value and are used as tender for products at a later date.....we just remove the tendered vouchers amounts when entering them into our books?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil_P

Fair point - it would be good if tere was something inbuilt within epos that can deal with this. I'd put it on the wish list - but i'm not sure i'd know what i'm asking for anymore!

Comment

Working...
                              X