.fil permissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris,
    Can you add me to the list to receive this email as well? Many thanks.
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

I'll ask the person updating it to run it past you.

Chris

Comment

THanks for youyr input Chris.

In order for that to work effectively the web server has to be configured a particular way with regards to file ownership.
        Will you tell us how to configure our cPanel servers to work with v10 then?
        It seems a few of us are our own 'hosts' (ie we run our own vps servers) and are trying quite hard to get it to work with capnel withoiut success.

Can you please post the configuration details here?

Its not a possible for me to switch hosts.. I have a server with lots of sites on it.Icant justify alternative hosting just for actinic when i habve a server here wiating

Comment

Thanks to Rollerboy for finding that out.. finally making sense.
          Apache under cPanel on a vps runs cgi scripts as 'nobody' by default.
          However actinic wants to run the scripts as the 'owner' this is the issue.

Chris says;
          Actinic use cPanel on our dedicated servers and everything works fine.
          CPanel works very differently on a dedicated server than on a vps!
          It is the cPanel set up on a vps where the issue lies.

I won't attempt to give a detailed explanation of the issue here.
          Why not? We're desperate to know.

In order for that to work effectively the web server has to be configured a particular way with regards to file ownership.
          Please tell us the 'particular way'
          Please post the new mailtohost-email..
          Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Ahead of the formal response via an updated hosting mail next week I wanted to offer a few ideas based on our own use of cPanel at Chris's behest.

I believe the issues is simply that the FTP user and the user which executes the CGI scripts (Perl) on the server must be the same. The RTS stock.fil is created and owned by the FTP user (lets say userA) but the Perl scripts that update it are run by a different user, this is typically 'nobody' on cPanel as the CGI is run by the web server (Aapche/httpd).

On our own cPanel based servers (we run cPanel and Plesk and some non production servers with no panel at all) we have the CGI scripts configured to run as the account owner, which is the same as the FTP user, userA (I think its quite possible to set up multiple FTP users per account and without checking I cant vouch for anything but the main account working as thats how we run it).

This is done using suexec (from the Web Hosting Manager WHM part of cPanel, not the end user cPanel itself)

Option Configured Value
            Default PHP Version (.php files) 5
            PHP 5 Handler fcgi
            PHP 4 Handler none

Apache suEXEC on

Its the last part, 'Apache suEXE on' that forces Apache (the web server) to pass running of CGI scripts (the Perl) to suEXEC and be executed as the account owner, which should be the same as the main FTP account.

Hopefully that will help you, there is also SCGI Wrap but I personally have not used it so cant say if its going too work or not, it should based on what cPanel says though. Its an optional cPanel script so you may need your host to load it for you.

Remember the key is to have the FTP user and CGI user the same, you could also possibly achieve it by making them share the same group, again, not personally tested that theory.

Hope thats some help, I'll try to pitch in more if you need me to.
            Steve Wardell
            Operations Director

Comment

Thank you very much. That is most appreciated.

Thanks Chris for prompting this explanation.

I was thrown a red herring when support told me suexec was not required by actinic... but then, if we're being precise... it isnt really.. only in some circumstances.. Anyway I'm glad to have it now confirmed that I do need it.

I was reluctant to enable suexec as the server already hosts lots of sites with DSO running as the Php handler and I knew enabling suexec would inevitably 'break' some of them.. and I'd have to fix them. So I was being a bit lazy. Suexec will increase the security of the server as a whole anyway, so now I know.. thats the way I'll go.

Glad this thread reached a happy end.
              Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Thanks for the clarification of this. Suexec does needd to be enabled oncpanel servers.. or any server which runs cgi scripts as 'nobody' by dafault.

Sendmore... this is a better fix that changin the access control lists. Your permissions / ownership are even tighter this way.

thnkx malbro for your input,. you weere sayingthis at the start of the thread. THe support teams should be made awarethat in some situations suexec IS neccessary.. would have saved some time... glad to have a conclusive ansewr now tho.

Comment

For anyone else running their own server...
                  I can confirm this now works.
                  For v10 if your are running a WHM/cPanel controlled server it needs to be suexec enabled.
                  Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Glad its working for you now
                    Steve Wardell
                    Operations Director

Comment

Originally posted by cbarling View Post

However, I will admit that the email for sending to hosts wasn't updated to cover this issue, so it's being updated now. Apologies for that.

Hope that helps.

Chris
                      Just wondering if the email detailling actinic's requirement for hosts is ready for distribution yet.

I'm still working with the following KB:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44812

although i think HTML/Entities needs to be added to the list

Comment

An updated email is included with v10.0.2, including the current beta version. It's called Mail2hst.txt and it's in the Actinic v10 folder. I can email a copy if required.

There is also a recent Knowledge Base article that has a bit more in the way of explanation:
                        http://community.actinic.com/showthr...hlight=hosting

Neither of them covers the optional performance enhancements, but they clarify the requirement in respect of the permissions issues that some people have experienced with compressed upload and real time stock.
                        Bruce Townsend
                        Ecommerce Product Manager
                        Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                          An updated email is included with v10.0.2, including the current beta version. It's called Mail2hst.txt and it's in the Actinic v10 folder. I can email a copy if required.
                          Could you email it please, it will save me downloading 10.0.2 before i am ready for it

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                          There is also a recent Knowledge Base article that has a bit more in the way of explanation:
                          http://community.actinic.com/showthr...hlight=hosting

Neither of them covers the optional performance enhancements, but they clarify the requirement in respect of the permissions issues that some people have experienced with compressed upload and real time stock.
                          I am quite happy with the permissions issue, I was hoping for a list of required modules and those required for performance.

Just a confirmation that http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44812 is still uptodate would be useful.

Comment

Working...
                          X