No announcement yet.

Confirmation emails to customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could place a message on the bounce page or another alternative would be to add some text into the Paypal header graphic.

Comment

Hi guys,

I was just looking at this, had complaints from customers regarding order confirmation emails, I did wonder if it was an hosting issue.

After Mike's comment
      but is this not the problem of the 'customer' (order confirmation) email not being sent unless the customer returns to the receipt page after paying?
      , indicates that if I can encourage them back to the receipt page, we can increase the number of these order emails.

Just done a check on orders over the weekend, had 34 orders, only 20 order emails.

It is a bit of a pain, I appreciate that until the order is confirmed and payment is taken, order is not a proper order. It would be good if a provisional order could be set up once the person selected payment method and being transferred to the payment provider (with another tab on the order screen), it could be optional, it could trigger an email too. Also you would see orders which customer do not finish for whatever reason.

Anyway, how can I set up the automatic return from Paypal?

Thanks Mash
      Mash

Comment

Umm, if you checked more frequently you could send an order confirmation for the missing ones from within Actinic.
        We have set PayPal up so the customer *should* return to the site. But there's always some who are too impatient and close their browser regardless.
        By checking our incoming orders and copy emails frequently, we can send out a custom email so the customer doesn't even know they didn't receive one automatically.
        For us this is particularly important as we use email parsing software for our accounts system. So if we don't get the copy confirmation email, we absolutely have to resend it.
        Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

We are using both Worldpay and PayPal, unsure the make up of the missing order emails (relating to the payment method).

The emails I see as a back up if some thing goes wrong, there is a bread crumb trail to help sort it.

I agree if we can spot the missing ones we can resend, just need to get the right bit of information to the right person so they can easily do that.

M
          Mash

Comment

Hi guys,

Had a go at setting up the autoreturn from PayPal, however, I am stuck on the URL I have to give to make it work. I have looked through the postings and can't find information on this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks M
            Mash

Comment

The first post in this thread would be my recommendation:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=47541

This works for me. The customer gets shown a paypal confirmation page with a 5 second countdown to being redirected back to the receipt page.

Ignore 'patchworkrabbits' last post in the thread. I believe this was related to a different problem that now has a solution.

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Mike, thanks for that, I have made changes and will let you know if it works.

Thanks M
                Mash

Comment

Works fine for me, as I am being redirected but it is looking like the order email is not being generated, it has not yet arrived.

I will keep an eye on that.

No it does not looking like it is triggering the emails.

Any ideas?

Running v9.

Thanks M
                  Mash

Comment

Are you being shown the receipt page for the order?

When I tested mine the redirect went to the receipt page and the customer email arrived within a few seconds (well, two did as I also got my copy). Some hosts smtp servers do get busy so it can often take a while before the email is received.

Mike

Comment

Yes, the receipt page came up and I clicked on 'done' at the bottom of the page.

No customer email has arrived.

PayPal payment email has come through.

No order email has arrived.

So something is not working properly.

Any thoughts?

Mash
                      Mash

Comment

odd. If emails are being sent with other PSPs then I can't think of any reason why the paypal one isn't. Things I would check are:

1. look at the order. Is the email address correct?
                        2. You didn't get your copy of the email either?
                        3. look in the error.err file in your acatalog folder (you can do it online). Are there any relevant error messages in there?

Mike

PS. There's no need to click the 'done' button. The email is sent by the same routine that creates the receipt page.

Comment

OK I have looked at the order:
                          1. Order email address is correct
                          2. We did not get a copy of the order email (it is set up and we receive them for Worldpay and cheques). Even with the email incorrect in the first one, we should get the second email!
                          3. Error message file, not much in there but it may relevant see below in the quote.

Date and Time = 2011/04/10 19:42, Internal Errors = No such user (or invalid password...)
                          Program = CATACACC, Program version = 20549 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/04/11 11:53, Internal Errors = No such user (or invalid password...)
                          2011/04/11 11:53 would possible be my Paypal order.

Seeing the 'invalid password', I thought I would check Network setting and run the test, all is working fine.

So it works for other payment methods but not for Palpay.

Any thoughts, thanks M
                          Mash

Comment

No, I'm at a loss to think why the email isn't being sent in your case. Everything else suggests it's working OK:

- Paypal is sending you back to the receipt page,
                            - The receipt page is being displayed which means the actinic scripts are accepting the return URL and finding the correct order details.

There should be nothing else to it.

Mike

PS. The only thing I did notice was that the original post on the thread I pointed to was using an https (i.e. secure) connection. This works fine for me, but then I have SSL on my checkout. Do you have SSL or did you change it to http by any chance?

Comment

I think it is just http, how would I check.

Thanks M
                              Mash

Comment

Oddly enough you do have a shared SSL certificate on your domain but it throws up certificate errors. You can see this by trying to access your webpages via https.

You should check that the return url you entered into paypal starts with http and not https. I'd have thought you can see this from your paypal settings page.

If you get to the receipt page then I'd imagine you've set it correctly. It's just the last thing I can think of that might be giving you a problem.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X