Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving site to server problems.

Hi All.
    The PC where the site used to be located had to be upgraded to a new PC.
    (the server was running on our actual server)
    As told, I made a snapshot of the site, and imported the snapshot to the server installation.
    I installed Actinic onto the new machine, and connected to the site straight away.

However. The other 2 PCs are still looking for my old machine and not the server where the site is now located.
    Can anyone please give me the solution so that the 2 PCs will look for the site on the server?

Regards

Trev Rich

Hi Trev,

Open up Actinic on the 2 machines you refer to, then go to File / Sites / Sites Directory and update the path to point to the new location of the files on your server.

Comment

Originally posted by Southwest Test View Post
      Hi Trev,

Open up Actinic on the 2 machines you refer to, then go to File / Sites / Sites Directory and update the path to point to the new location of the files on your server.
      Hi.
      Thanks But we can't open actinic at all? How do you open Actinic without it trying to open a site?

Comment

My apologies, I assumed you were using Business Plus... do you have a single site Business licence?

Comment

Is this thread of any help to you?

Remember to take extreme care if editing the registry

http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=45645

Comment

My apologies, I assumed you were using Business Plus... do you have a single site Business licence?
            We are using Business Plus, but why can't we open Actinic without opening a site?
            Thanks for your help so far

Comment

The quickest way to rectify the situation would probably be to uninstall Actinic on the two computers in question, then reinstall and import a snapshot from the server, overriding the default 'Site1' configuration in the process. Then check that the path in the Sites Directory points to the new location on the server, and close and restart Actinic to test operation. Make sure you name your site files uniformly.

I'm sure the same effect would be achievable using other methods, but to be honest they'd probably only be riskier, and the risk isn't warranted given how quickly and easily Actinic can be uninstalled/reinstalled.

Comment

The quickest way to rectify the situation would probably be to uninstall Actinic on the two computers in question, then reinstall and import a snapshot from the server, overriding the default 'Site1' configuration in the process. Then check that the path in the Sites Directory points to the new location on the server, and close and restart Actinic to test operation. Make sure you name your site files uniformly.

I'm sure the same effect would be achievable using other methods, but to be honest they'd probably only be riskier, and the risk isn't warranted given how quickly and easily Actinic can be uninstalled/reinstalled.
                Thanks.
                The problem is that the management are reluctant to re-install as we had major problems getting Sage to work with Actinic.
                Is there not a way of opening Actinic without opening a site?

Comment

What exactly happens when you attempt to open Actinic on those two computers? Do you get any error messages? Does the process hang? If so, how long have you waited before closing the program, etc.

Comment

It automatically tries to open the site, then says that Actinic is unable to connect to the synchronization server, retry or cancel.

Comment

Ah, I see. OK, the following assumes that all the machines and the sync server are on the same network and can see each other, etc.

Try shutting down each machine, and restarting them all, making sure that the sync server is booted first, followed by the others.

Comment

Also, take a look at this thread:

How can I change what sync server the user machine is looking at?

Comment

Ah, I see. OK, the following assumes that all the machines and the sync server are on the same network and can see each other, etc.

Try shutting down each machine, and restarting them all, making sure that the sync server is booted first, followed by the others.
                          But it would still be looking for the old machine...
                          If I switch the old PC on and plug it into the same network port.... the other 2 PCs can see the site...

Comment

Originally posted by Trev Rich View Post
                            But it would still be looking for the old machine...
                            Not if you follow the instructions in that Knowledge Base article I linked to... fingers crossed, you should be up and running after making that change

Comment

Not if you follow the instructions in that Knowledge Base article I linked to... fingers crossed, you should be up and running after making that change
                              Grrr.... I held out so much hope for that one

Restarted both machines after changing the ip addresses..
                              Couldn't restart the server as everyone needs it on at the moment..

No joy

Comment

Working...
                              X