Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting an External SMTP Server

Hi All

Is it possible to set Sellerdeck to use SMTP settings from an external server?

Live smtp.gmail.com etc?

Cheers

Grant

The Perl scripts that send the emails run on your server and (while created and uploaded by SD) are independent of the SD desktop application.

So your question really is Can a Perl script running on my server send mail via an external SMTP server?

That can only be answered by your specific servers admin people.

Or (of course) just try it and see.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

On another note - Does using "localhost" send from the server the site is on? Or try to.

Comment

Hi Norman,

Sorry, did not see your reply before I added an extra post. Many thanks for getting back to me

Hokay, so, it is dependent on the server that the site is hosting on, as to whether it allows the perl mail sending scripts to send email using another servers smtp details....

Will give it a go and see what happens.

Comment

Hmmm.

Setting "localhost" returns

communications: failed
          Authorisation: failed
          Other lines are a pass.

Setting a SMTP address, the same domain and server as the site is sitting on, with tested and checked username and password returns..

communications: failed
          Authorisation: failed
          Other lines are a pass.

Setting the SMTP address as on another server, with a SMTP account on that server passes everything.

So, it is odd that the method that should be problematic is working - and the recommended easy method, the one I want to use, is displaying an error

Comment

The SMTP settings that work for the server will depend on how the SMTP server has been set up.

The usual way to find out what works is to ask your host as different hosts set them up differently.

There has been a tightening up of settings over the last few years so what used to work fine before often won't anymore.
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Mike, will get onto them and see what they say.

Comment

Working...
              X