removal of unused pages on webserver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removal of unused pages on webserver

I have an number of pages on the webserver that are outdated and dont exist in sellerdeck any more. however carrying out a website refresh and or purge and refresh does not remove them from my server.

consequently i have pages such as Here

Where there is no style etc. The issue is that google can still see these pages and are logging indexing them and any issues in WMT/search console.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    www.flytesofancy.co.uk, www.electricfencingkits.co.uk, www.dorsetlogstores.co.uk, www.framebow.co.uk

All you can do is access the site folder on the server (using an FTP client if you don't have direct access through your hosting control panel) and manually delete all the html files then do a refresh.
    The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

I was really hoping that wasn't going to be the answer. seems odd that the purge and refresh doesn't rectify this.
      www.flytesofancy.co.uk, www.electricfencingkits.co.uk, www.dorsetlogstores.co.uk, www.framebow.co.uk

Comment

Mick's answer is essentially what a Purge and Refresh does (or should do) but you'll definitely have full control and will be able to see that your acatalog folder is empty before doing the Refresh.

If orphan files turn up after the manual delete and Refresh that will indicate that something else is wrong.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Ok so will have to make a backup of the store folder on the webserver. at least if i have to put the files back i will still have them

Comment

If you have ftp access but you dont want to delete files, add the redundant page names to a robots.txt file to stop them being indexed.

Code:
            User-agent: *
            Disallow: /unwanted.html
            And/or create a 'no longer present page and write some 301's into htaccess

Code:
            Redirect 301 /unwanted.html http://www.yoursite.com/no-longer-present.html
            Jonathan Chappell
            Website Designer
            SellerDeck Website Designer
            Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
            Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

If you have plenty of disk space on your server then renaming acatalog and creating a new one before doing the Refresh will suffice. Renamed acatalog can be deleted once you know all ia well.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
              X