v10 - new checkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v10 - new checkout

Version 10 will include a new and more streamlined checkout, which has been designed to bring the whole Actinic checkout process up to date, and to address the main criticisms of it.

Some customers requested a single-page checkout. We gave careful consideration to this in the planning process, but decided against it for several reasons.

• The only way to achieve it with Actinic’s current static HTML architecture would be to use JavaScript. This would mean the checkout would fail for the 5% or so of shoppers who have JavaScript disabled – reducing everyone’s sales by 5%.

• Almost all the major, recognized and most successful online retailers have multi-page checkouts.

• Of the many customers we consulted, only a minority supported the single-page option, and we did not have the resources to develop two alternatives.

Some elements of the new checkout do use JavaScript for improved presentation, but the checkout will function from end to end even if it is disabled.

The main changes planned are:

1. The initial page requesting country information is eliminated. In keeping with most other stores, the checkout makes a sensible assumption about the shoppers location, based on information from the cookie if present, or customer account information, or the nationality of the site itself.

2. The layout of information is rationalized; with address details captured on the first page, and other information captured on the second.

3. The list of US States will no longer be presented to non-US shoppers. The county / state list will be country dependent.

4. Provided JavaScript is enabled, separate invoice and delivery addresses will be displayed together on the same page.

5. The third page is an order confirmation, displaying a summary of all the information provided, with options to change each part if required.

6. The PSP bounce page will be eliminated.

7. The overall design and appearance of the checkout will be improved and updated.

So the new checkout will have two data entry pages, and three pages overall; compared with the current four data entry pages, and five pages overall where a PSP is used.
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Thanks for the clarification Bruce

sounds as though its a big improvement, and i look forward to seeing it in action

Comment

Can you clarify how it works with regards to displaying shipping costs in the cart for those of us who do by 'requesting location information early'?
      I'm a bit concerned about this (as Ben knows lol)
      Tracey

Comment

Relax - you will still be able to use 'request location information early'
        :-)
        Bruce Townsend

Comment

Bruce, any news on the email issues as discussed in http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=26704

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
            • The only way to achieve it with Actinic’s current static HTML architecture would be to use JavaScript. This would mean the checkout would fail for the 5% or so of shoppers who have JavaScript disabled – reducing everyone’s sales by 5%.
            I am against single page checkouts and in favour of a streamlined version as proposed.

However the above statement is misleading as it suggests each site would lose 5% of sales - the 5% is the total number of users and not the number buying from your site - a loss of 5% would mean that everyone with javascript turned off would have to shop at your site... I would be happy to lose the 5% if the other 95% of the worlds users bought from my shop

http://visualrevenue.com/blog/2007/0...led-index.html

The 5% also includes non-shoppers so the rate of successful shoppers is even more.

Anyways - glad to hear a mutli stepped streamlined checkout has been implemented.

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi

Interesting blog on checkouts, was rather taken with the idea of creating accounts on the receipt page once the order has been placed. Would be great if it is possible in Actinic V10 or later.

http://www.getelastic.com/single-vs-two-page-checkout/

Nigel
              Offering a wide range of shade loving plants suitable for the woodland garden. http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk

Comment

Nice idea but until Actinic add in online accounts there is little point in setting up an account as the customer will expect to be able to log in and see an order history and track the progress of current orders.
                I guess they have the benefit of having their address details stored but little else.
                Darren Guppy
                Golf Tee Warehouse
                Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Nigel. We are looking quite seriously at online accounts, including the ability to create an account during the checkout process. I'm not sure if we would be able to do it from the receipt page, though, because of the way our checkout script works. The last opportunity might be one step earlier, at the final stage of the checkout itself.
                  Bruce Townsend

Comment

I think the main thing here if you implement customer accounts is that the customer is never forced to register.

what page it is created on does not really matter aslong as it does not impeed the customers buying experience.

Well thats how i see it not sure about others

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                      I think the main thing here if you implement customer accounts is that the customer is never forced to register.

what page it is created on does not really matter aslong as it does not impeed the customers buying experience.

I agree 100%
                      Darren Guppy
                      Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Originally posted by Golf Tee Warehouse View Post
                        I agree 100%
                        I also agree - often will create an account on the second time I purchase, but would often not bother to buy if account is compulsary.

Comment

+1 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                            Thanks for the suggestion Nigel. We are looking quite seriously at online accounts, including the ability to create an account during the checkout process.
                            I assume this would be for V11 and not a an addition to a V10 6-12months after launch (i.e V10.5.1)
                            Darren Guppy
                            Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post

As long as it is optional to create an account then it gets my vote as well.
                              Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
                              SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
                              Based in rural Northants

Comment

Working...
                              X