Importing Fragments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing Fragments

Has anyone worked out how to import fragment details either from a Hierarchical or flat file format ?

I have tried exporting then re-importing the same Hierarchical file but for some reason the 'characteristics' of fragment I had exported changes to include some of a products characterstics. Allow to explain more clearly ..

When I manually (thro the Actinic program) add a fragment it has the following characteristics (tabs) :

Genaral Links Visibilty Layout
    -------- ------ -------- --------
    After exporting and re-importing the Hierarchical file the fragment characteristics (tabs) change to :

Genaral Links Visibilty Properties Extended Information Layout
    -------- -------------- ----------- ------------------------ -------

What's most confusing is that the Layout characteristics change to Product Layout values .........

Hi Peter

I agree there is something awry with this functionality. I am reporting a bug to the development team now.

In the meantime, all I can suggest is using fragments for your products - i.e. with no price and by de-selecting 'Can Be Ordered Online' a product is pretty much identical to a fragment.

Comment

Any fix for this yet?

I have the same issue once an import is done. Is there a fix for this yet? At the moment I am having to recreate all the fragments which kinda defeats the purpose of the import.

Comment

The suggested workaround not an option

I thought I could use the workaround suggested by Chris but the problem with this is that none of the fragment layouts are available when the element is wrongly displayed as a product.

I have a handful of customised layouts and I can't access them.

Surely there is a flag in the mdb that can be altered to get the element back to it's rightful state.

Comment

A work around

This isn't a perfect solution, but to resolve the above issue I have done the following.

Open the library and hunt out every selector and variable that is being incorrectly displayed in the fragment details and open each one and deselect all marked Place of Settings checkboxes and click OK. Then open the same item again and reselect the items I unchecked.

Unfortunately they are all product selectors and variables so if you have any products that are not using the parent settings you will lose these. Not ideal I know but luckily I hadn't entered any products yet.

Now if I could just solve the \n issue in all the text I may have an import that actually works...

Comment

Has anyone tried exporting and importing in 8.5.1?

I've just experienced these problems (both the fragment corruption and the \n problem) in 8.0.4 as part of an exercise to update a couple of thousand prices.

If they're fixed in 8.5.1 then I'll upgrade now rather than later (I was going to wait until I'd finished this particular site before upgrading).

If they're not fixed then does anyone at Actinic know when they may be?

thanks

Andy
            Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
            SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
            Based in rural Northants

Comment

I'm still experiencing the problems on the latest version, but to be fair to them, they've only had 7 months to fix it so far. Given that their design snapshot is an ashtray on a motorbike, one would expect to get this fixed with a little more urgency - wonders never cease.

Broom and a scaffold pole simultaneously spring to mind.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lee - I had a feeling that was going to be that case as I couldn't find any mention of these problems in the release notes!

Looks like I'll have to write an Access macro to update the prices directly ..... if I get it done I'll post it here (if that's possible..).

thanks

Andy
                Based in rural Northants

Comment

I personally find it hard to believe that they would leave this unfixed if it could be fixed. 7 months to fix a fundamental basic function is piss poor, so it must be impossible or unsolvable.

I have a feeling Jan has something that digs them out of a hole here, although using Jan's software is no reason to neglect fixing their own. Have a look on Jan's site, sure there is something for price changes (i may be wrong though, just a distant memory).

Comment

I agree entirely Lee.... what is the point of exporting if you can't import it again. Perhaps as a short term measure, while they get a fix together, Actinic should remove the ability to import/export?

I've just looked at Jan's site and, as usual, you are correct. I think I'll end up buying it .... no point in reinventing the wheel.

thanks

Andy
                    Based in rural Northants

Comment

hurrah - it worked - this issue now has a fix.

(dances around the room naked waving arms in celebration, whooping with joy)

The below from Toby via Andrew:

Looks like we have found a bug with the software as we can replicate the problem with a default store. The work around is to run an SQL query in Access:

- Take a snapshot for backup purposes

- Shut down Actinic

- Open ActinicCatalog.mdb in the site folder

- Click on the "Queries" button

- Double click "Create Query in Design View"

- Go to View | SQL View

- Copy and paste the following SQL:

Code:
                      UPDATE Product INNER JOIN UserDefinedProperties ON Product.[Product Reference] = UserDefinedProperties.sContentID SET UserDefinedProperties.sStatus = "D" WHERE (((UserDefinedProperties.nContentLevel)=2) AND ((Product.nProductType)=2));

- Close the window and save the query

- Run the query by double clicking on it

- Save the query modifications and exit Access.

Open Actinic and now your fragments should be back to normal.
                      Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

Working...
                      X