Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smtp/mail setup

Hi,
    I've been using V5 for a while but only recently changed hosts to one with a smtp server etc.
    I receive a mail for a new order & a test mail when I perform a 'test' via advanced network setup however I'm unable to send mail to customers via their order 'send mail'
    I receive the following error 'Error returned from SMTP server (4: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)'

The hosting co. haven't been able to help thus far.

Any ideas?

Steve.

localhost

Hi Steve

Your problem is that your computer doesn't use the same SMTP server as your site. I.E. your site uses smtp.somedomain.com while your own mail account is set to use smtp.mail.net. Use 'localhost' in the SMTP settings instead of the domain name as that's the default SMTP both for your computer and server.

yvonne
    Hidden Valley Hibiscus

Comment

i Have this problem too, and the host provider cant help me anymore?
      In the smtp settings box, (ver 5) i originally had my smtp server, then i noticed someone had this problem and was advised to change it to localhost? What is that? I type i "localhost" in the box, and i still got the same errors?
      Help please

Comment

Hi Nic

What is the exact error message you get? If you enter your regular SMTP address (the one you use in your own mail program) in the SMTP field can you send customer mail then? Btw, localhost should be written without any citation marks around it or it won't work.

localhost? What is that?

'Localhost' is a shorthand command to your computer (PC or server) to look for a program or file on its own hard drive. It could be translated "this machine".

yvonne
        Hidden Valley Hibiscus

Comment

can i talk to you over msn? as i would like to tell you my domain settings and i do not want anyone to see them for security reasons! My msn account name is: nicbridge32@hotmail.com

Comment

localhost

Thanks Yvonne for your reply, I had tried localhost in the past but this gave 'relaying denied' when trying to send a mail from my pc and the 'new order' & customer receipt mail server side didn't work at all.
            I would like to at least have the customer receipt email working. I don't understand why the new order mail works and the receipt doesn't!

Steve

Comment

SMTP authentication bug in v 5.14?

Hi Steve

Sorry it taken a bit for me to answer but I've been busy with family over the holidays.

First, the problem is on your own machine not on your server. That is why you get a confirmation that your settings work. They do as Actinic only tests your server settings NOT settings on your local machine. Besides, you get your test mail so we know for a fact that part works.

Your error message indicates that your ISP asks for authentication before you can send email. Authentication works in the manner than first you have to receive a message from your SMTP before they allow you to send mail. An SMTP that needs authentication has a 30 minute window where you can send mail which opens after you receive a communication from them, in other words, hit your "Get messages" or "Check mail" button to receive mail and you're authenticated! Note that you don't have to get any mail for this to happen. Ir's the communication between your computer and the SMTP server that does the trick.

However, I've been troubleshooting this with Nic who's experiencing basically the same problem and we've found that although he did the authentication still he couldn't send mail from Actinic although sending from his regular email program worked just fine. My conclusion is that we've discovered a bug in Actinic here in regards to authenticated email accounts. The problem isn't widespread as it seems to only affect accounts that need authentication. Anyone at Actinic has a take on this?

yvonne

Hidden Valley Hibiscus

Comment

This is a known issue with some web servers, and we are currently working on ways to deal with it reliably.

A fix will be available in a future maintenance release.

Comment

could i also add that i have the same problems and i am hosted with one of your gold partners.

Darren

Comment

Working...
                  X