Selling my website.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling my website.

I’ve had a website running since 2003 just as a hobby. It makes a profit but to be honest we’ve just let it drift along.

I’m now retiring from my full time job and considering getting rid of the online business as well.

I'm investigating various options such as selling off as a going concern or simply selling off the stock and shutting it down.

I've always bought the programming outright (currently on V14) and have never had any contract with Actinic/ Sellerdeck.

Is there any legal reason why I can't transfer ownership to someone else simple by installing the program on another computer and supplying the log in details?
    Scottish Gifts 4U - quality gifts from Scotland

Hi Gail,

It's a shame to see you go but running an eCommerce site does to take time and commitment so I can understand the desire for make the most of whatever free time you might have after retiring.

In terms of transferring ownership the Sellerdeck End User License agreement has this to say:

ASSIGNMENT This licence may not be assigned, sublicensed or otherwise transferred by you, by operation of law or otherwise, without prior written consent from SellerDeck.
    See: https://sellerdeck.co.uk/wp-content/...-Agreement.pdf

Despite the apparent clarity of the statement, it's not at all clear whether this has any real legal standing, whether Sellerdeck grant or withhold consent if requested or even if Sellerdeck does any tracking or follow up on this kind of thing.

Personally, I would talk to sellerdeck about it.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

There's also this in the knowledge base which may not be what you hoped for;

https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...rdeck-software

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike. I’ll email them tomorrow (that way I’ll have it in writing) and update for anyone else considering this.

Comment

Update,

I've just had a reply from Sellerdeck.

The user agreement allows for the sale of the business to include the licence key for the new owner to continue using.

What it does not allow is the selling of the licence key on its own.

I hope this might be useful.

Comment

Thank you for the update - this is useful information.

It would also be useful if someone could give some pointers on the process for the other option for shutting an online business down.

This is something users need to plan for and document ready to implement on the cessation of a business.
            Martin
            Mantra Audio

Comment

Working...
            X