Folders per Section/Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folders per Section/Product

I would like to be able to specify a folder per section & product so that all sub folders/html are located in that folder. If no folder name is given then it defaults to the parent. Here are some examples of how this could work and the flexibility it gives:

Block (folder: "block" => block)
    - Homeware (folder: "homeware" => block/homeware)
    - Tableware (folder: "tableware" => block/homeware/tableware)
    - Product1 (folder: "product1" => block/homeware/tableware/product1)
    - Product2 (folder: "product2" => block/homeware/tableware/product2)

- Homeware (folder: "homeware" => block/homeware)
    - Tableware (folder: "" => block/homeware)
    - Product1 (folder: "product1 => block/homeware/product1)
    - Product2 (folder: "product2 => block/homeware/product2)

- Homeware (folder: "" => block)
    - Tableware (folder: "" => block)
    - Product1 (folder: "product1 => block/product1)
    - Product2 (folder: "product2 => block/product2)

In addition, images, downloads or any other variables that we have assigned within those sections should also be uploaded into the correct folder. No more 1000's of files in one folder on my server. So all files linked to product2 above would be in the product2 folder.

Of course, the ability to set (or not) a top level first would also be good - no more acatalog.

Thanks,
    Paul.

i can't see the advantage of this, can you expand? Is this for search engines?

The "acatalog" can be changed to whatever you want it to, a search in the forum should find the thread for you, i read it recently i recall.

Comment

Its for search engines and general good practice. Dumping everything into one folder is ridiculous. Take a look at any good high ranking site and it will be well defined folders and naming structures throughtout the site and actinic shouldnt be any different.

http://www.amazon.com/Grownup-School-Books/
      http://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Iran...Quest-Liberty/
      http://www.amazon.com/magazine-newspaper-subscriptions/
      http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/x-ploda-roulette/
      http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/toys-...emote-control/

As far as changing the acatalog naming, at the moment it is done by changing the database (as far as I recall) which whilst we could manage it, it isnt very good for non-tinkerers.

Paul.

p.s. for clarification, I have ommited the endings of these urls as some are quite long.

Comment

Take a look at any good high ranking site and it will be well defined folders and naming structures throughtout the site and actinic shouldnt be any different.
        Actinic does have a well defined url structure that is well tuned to the requirements of SEs particularly google.

If you were to adopt the method you are suggesting then the urls would become quite long - google looks at this type of url as SPAM and it can have a negative effect on rankings.

You would be far better concentrating on tuning your sections - if you take the example of Amazon it works in a similar way to Actinic (except that it is database driven) ie it only shows the first level of the section and then the product in the url.

As far as the acatalog is concerned I dont think it makes any difference to the SE performance - look at the rubbish after the Amazon url!

Comment

I have read a few things on seo that have google etal concentrating on the first sections of urls and I guess thats why amazon have it at the beginning and the same with iwoot.

I have read posts on the subject that reckon up to three levels deep is about maximum. Of course, there are also competing ideas that think that each folder down from the root is less important than the top. If this is the case, then omitting the acatalog folder completely would be beneficial. At least having the option would leave it up to the web designer and allow for changing trends.

The way I have described allows for complete flexibility.

Thanks,
          Paul.

Comment

I have read a few things on seo that have google etal concentrating on the first sections of urls and I guess thats why amazon have it at the beginning and the same with iwoot.
            This is quite correct but it is an area where you need to take great care. There is no definate in indication from google about how long a url should be. The way actinic does it at the moment is pretty close to the ideal IMO.

The removal of the acatalog would be of use (I believe from previous posts by CB that they are looking into it at the moment) but I can see no detrimental effect as far as SEO goes - at the moment!

Comment

Working...
            X