The GDPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GDPR

I see a recent thread on the upcoming General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) has been removed. Presumably because we touched on a few issues that Sellerdeck would rather weren't discussed on the forum.

Can I add to the wish list the request that Sellerdeck looks at the requirements of the GDPR and builds in the features required to ensure we are able to comply with the regulations when using Sellerdeck desktop.

A positive response to this request would alleviate the need to discuss the regulations in detail and what might be needed to ensure compliance.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    I see a recent thread on the upcoming General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) has been removed. Presumably because we touched on a few issues that Sellerdeck would rather weren't discussed on the forum...

Mike
    IIRC I think the OP deleted this thread.

Comment

OK. It seems an odd thing to delete but there we go.

Having looked at the upcoming regulations it would be nice if sellerdeck would look at the options for protecting individuals data in the sellerdeck desktop database.

Comment

We are actively investigating the GDPR requirements and we have a good feel for the changes that will be needed. We are committed to supplying software that is fully compliant, well before the new regulations come into force. At this stage I cannot say exactly when that will be, or which software versions will be supported.
        Bruce Townsend
        Ecommerce Product Manager
        Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

How is this likely to effect us?

We only store customer data within sellerdeck, and printed data sheets.
          Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
          Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

The regulations don't only cover how you store data, but how you use it. Everyone who has a business will need to get familiar with them. We will ensure that users of our software and services can comply with them, and we will advise on any configuration changes that are necessary. But we won't be able to offer wider advice on general compliance issues.
            Bruce Townsend

Comment

Can I just add that should there be changes such as encryption of customer's personal details to protect privacy that these changes be limited to the customer's personal details and not the whole database.

I know there are quite a few of us, myself included, that query the database directly for things like stock management, google shopping feeds, pricing adjustments, etc so the ability to keep doing this is important.

I'd imagine the people that have developed tools to work with sellerdeck would also have similar requirements.

Mike

Comment

Just had a client on the phone and SD was filling his head with all sorts of scare stories that his site (v9) would probably stop working (guess what) unless he upgraded.

Please can Sellerdeck post a summary document of the changes neccessary to the software to make sites GDPR compliant and a summary document about what the GDPR requirements actually are and how they will impact Sellerdeck users?

AND telling everyone to upgrade is not a solution!
                Jonathan Chappell
                Website Designer
                SellerDeck Website Designer
                Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
                Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

Hi Jonathan

We are actively working towards publishing such a statement regarding our software. At this stage I can only say that we will not be a reason why our users cannot be compliant. We will implement whatever changes are necessary, and provide as much additional information as we can.

However, please be aware that cannot provide legal advice with regard to GDPR. Every business owner will have to familiarise themselves with the new rules, and take responsibility for their own compliance.

With regard to older versions, I can't be specific ATM. However, v9 is approaching its tenth year! There have been many security changes in the meantime. Some of them are connected with other changes in the code. It will not be technically feasible, or indeed affordable, to port all of them back to such an old version.

The fact is, anyone relying on such an old version is already taking an inadvisable risk with their business.
                  Bruce Townsend

Comment

At this stage I can only say that we will not be a reason why our users cannot be compliant.
                    Thanks Bruce - please re-read and re-phrase?
                    Jonathan Chappell
                    Website Designer

Comment

Sorry, that was a bit of a mouthful. We will not cause our users to be non-compliant. That's all I can say at this stage.
                      Bruce Townsend

Comment

Thanks Bruce

I think a summary article would be useful for your customers and unlikely to expose your company to risk.

There seems to be a reluctance to give information
                        Jonathan Chappell
                        Website Designer

Comment

Read all about it....

https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/resou...th-the-eu-gdpr

https://ico.org.uk/media/1624219/pre...r-12-steps.pdf

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...y-and-control/

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...e=pdf&patch=38

(Without prejudice) It seems that there needs to be no inherent change in the software as regards the operation of the site, the privacy policy needs revision and it may be that a revised privacy policy is what SD is going to roll out. You will also need to have systems in place for the supply of data to the customer in an easily machine readable form and show you have the ability to delete it. You must also ensure you keep the data securely. Here is some stuff on privacy policy:
                          https://www.econsultancy.com/blog/69...-with-examples

You may also need to have popups by the email fields of the checkout for example stating what the data is used for, you may also need to obtain express rather than implied consent to the collection of data prior to collecting it so it may be some form of consent will need to precede the checkout process. Again, this is my guesswork and I take no responsibility! Please do read it up yourselves...

Image from : https://www.econsultancy.com/blog/69...-with-examples
                          Jonathan Chappell
                          Website Designer

Comment

Encryption

Windows has built-in encryption (pro versions) called BitLocker Drive Encryption

If you don't want to encrypt your main drive you can use a second or external drive for Sellerdeck data and encrypt that.

You can make external drives behave like internal drives here: https://garvis.ca/2013/02/21/convert...ndows-devices/
                            Jonathan Chappell
                            Website Designer

Comment

GDPR Privacy Policy

Nice downloadable one available here: http://vinciworks.com/blog/gdpr-read...licy-template/
                              Jonathan Chappell
                              Website Designer

Comment

Working...
                              X