Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I make a change to my Best Sellers/New Products list the whole of my site...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I make a change to my Best Sellers/New Products list the whole of my site...

When I make a change to my Best Sellers/New Products list the whole of my site then uploads. Is there a way to avoid this as I have a very large site?

This exercise will show you how to generate best seller and new products lists in their own separate page and then include them in via a JavaScript 'include' command on the web site. This means that if you have 1,000 sections, and then the content of the best sellers list changes, you will not have to upload 1,000 changed pages the next time you upload.

This exercise will use best sellers list as the example, but it is simple enough to adapt this exercise for new products pages.

Please note that this function does not work with Netscape browsers.

The first thing you need to do is create a new layout type group in the library.

1. Go to 'Design | Library', right-click on any of the existing layout type groups and select 'New Layout Type'.

2. Give it a name of 'Page Snippets' and under 'Layouts' select 'Pop-Up'. Click 'OK'.

3. Within this new layout type group, create a new layout and give it a name of'Best Sellers Page Snippet'.

4. Now double-click on the layout to edit it.

5. In the layout code, click the 'Insert Layout' button and insert the layout selector called 'BestSellerListSidebar'. You can use a fixed layout (by selecting'Use Fixed Layout') if you want to use a specific best sellers list layout.

If you are doing a new products list, then include the 'NewProductListSidebar' selector here.

6. Now click the 'Edit Layout Details' button.

7. Change the 'Extended Info Page File Name' field to read 'bs-snippet.html'.

8. Click 'OK', 'OK' again to close the layout.

You now need to create a layout selector to insert this layout into the design.

9. Right-click on the 'Page Snippets' layout type group name, and select 'New Selector'.

10. Give it a name of 'BestSellersSnippet' and a prompt of 'Best Sellers Snippet'.

11. Change to the 'Values' tab.

12. Highlight 'Best Sellers Page Snippet' in the left column and click the '>' button to move it to the right column.

13. Change back to the 'Basic Definition' tab and click 'OK'.

14. Close the library.

You now need to include this layout in your overall page layouts.

15. Go to the Design tab and locate the layout selector called 'BestSellersListSidebar' – which currently inserts the best sellers list into the sidebar.

If it has a fixed layout assigned to it, it might look like this:

Sidebar Best Sellers List With Horizontal Dividers

16. v9.0.2 and below users do the following:

Replace the layout selector with the following code:

<actinic:variable name="BestSellersSnippet" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Search%22" />

<a rel="fragment" href="bs-snippet.html">Best Seller List Inserted Here</a>

Click 'Apply'.

This is the end of the changes required for up to v9.0.2

17. v9.0.3 and above users do the following:

Because of changes to the way the pop up windows work in v9.0.3, the following changes must be made carrying on from point 15:

- Replace the layout selector with the following code:

<a rel="fragment" href="bs-snippet.html">Best Seller List Inserted Here</a>

- Click 'Apply'

- Create a new layout based on your current product layout by going to 'Design | Library | Layouts' and expanding the 'Product' group. Right-click on layout you currently use for your products and select 'Copy'. Double-click on the new layout to edit it and add in the following just before the final 'block if' tag at the bottom of the layout:

<actinic:variable name="BestSellersSnippet" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Search%22" />

- Click 'OK' and 'OK' again and then apply this layout to only one product in your store.

In the preview you will just see the 'Best Seller List Inserted Here' message, but when you upload the store and view it online, the list should appear correctly.

Note: There is a condition embedded within the 'BestSellersSnippet' layout selector that says 'PageType = "Search"'. This just means the 'bs-snippet.html' file only gets generated by one page in the store – the search page - but it can be included in any page in the store.

Also, the <a rel="fragment" href="filename.html">...</a> tag can be used to include any fragment of HTML into the design online.
Working...
X