Announcement

Collapse

Sellerdeck Community upgrade

18 May: completed upgrade of the Sellerdeck Community software. Please report any issues in this post.
See more
See less

Bing not indexing site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KarenBM View Post
    Thank you Justin, I shall contact support.
    Nope Re-reading the threads on this page, I suggested to call and mention we'd been speaking on the Community. That was 16 April.
    Ops Manager, Sellerdeck

Comment

Yes. as I said, I don't believe this is the problem although it is odd that some tools seem to be (or were) reporting it.

As I understand it, Bing have said that you don't have a penalty and that the solution is something you can do yourself. (or something along those lines - and I could easily be misremembering this).

I believe this is standard Bing speak for there being a quality issue and that rather than getting people fix a specific thing that might be causing a problem they'd rather they went away and fixed everything they can find.

So, without any clear guidance or obvious issue we can find I can only suggest methodically going through and fixing anything and everything we can find that might cause or even contribute to a low quality score for your pages. Even if there are other sites that have similar problems it doesn't mean it's not worth correcting where possible.

While looking at your site I've seen that many (all?) of your pages have broken page-local links i.e. with #menu and #top on the link but no related anchor. You should try and find where this is coming from and fix it.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor View Post
        Nope Re-reading the threads on this page, I suggested to call and mention we'd been speaking on the Community. That was 16 April.
        Ah OK. I misconstrued your later comment on the 23rd April.
        Kind Regards
        Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
          Yes. as I said, I don't believe this is the problem although it is odd that some tools seem to be (or were) reporting it.

As I understand it, Bing have said that you don't have a penalty and that the solution is something you can do yourself. (or something along those lines - and I could easily be misremembering this).

I believe this is standard Bing speak for there being a quality issue and that rather than getting people fix a specific thing that might be causing a problem they'd rather they went away and fixed everything they can find.

So, without any clear guidance or obvious issue we can find I can only suggest methodically going through and fixing anything and everything we can find that might cause or even contribute to a low quality score for your pages. Even if there are other sites that have similar problems it doesn't mean it's not worth correcting where possible.

While looking at your site I've seen that many (all?) of your pages have broken page-local links i.e. with #menu and #top on the link but no related anchor. You should try and find where this is coming from and fix it.

Mike
          No Bing rep said there was no problem and it was indexing as it should. Could I give you my Bing webmaster login and you could pop in and check? Just when you have five minutes. You may spot something I haven't.
          Looking at the crawl information I keep seeing a 500 server error against the homepage. It's fine though, and I have asked for it to be re-indexed several times.

I have no idea why you are seeing all those broken links, that is most peculiar. I only use #top on externally created pages.
          Kind Regards
          Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Sure. You can email them across to me and I'll take a look.

It may be that I've made a mental leap from 'Bing is indexing as it should' to the 'problem isn't with Bing it's with your site'.

The problem page-local links came from Xenu Linksleuth. It also found what looks like around 40-50 missing pages, image links, etc so it's probably worth downloading a copy and running it yourself so you can find and fix those.

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike, I've sent them to you now.
              Kind Regards
              Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Working...
              X