Filter sort order on custom variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter sort order on custom variables

I can't see anything in help on this. Using version 18.3, the new custom sort order which I had hoped would be useful seems to have a problem. You can choose 3 different custom variables but if you chose one that would become the default for the entire site! Whereas I would want different variable sort orders for different areas of the site. Widget A product filter by colour, whilst widget B filter order would be length for example. Or am I missing where it is set.

Also Product reference appears in the variables indexed but you still can not choose this as a standard variable to appear in filtered results.

Hi David. You're correct, at the moment you can only define one default sort order, which will apply for search and filtering across the whole site. However customers can choose any alternative sort orders that you enable.

I will try to find out if something like this can be achieved with a customisation.

Can you explain a bit more about what you want. For example, are you simply looking to define different default sort orders for different filtered sections? Or something more complex than that?
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Hi Bruce. Thanks for looking in.

So on one filtered section I have three different types of products, large group box, small group box and individual products. Say these are from two different brands (in actual scenario it can be up to 20). At the moment I might get all brand A's products and then brand B's whereas what I would like is large group box Brand A, large group box Brand B, small group boxes Brand A, small group boxes brand B, then brand A and B individual products

In a different area I have products sorted into colours, I might want White to appear at the top and then black for example.

I could create a variable of sort order I suppose but I would not want to choose this for every section that is made up of filtering. We have over 300 filtered pages, 90% are probably okay with the default relevance, but the new variable sort order seemed a good way of putting your top products or those on promotion for example at the top of the filtered list.

Comment

OK, thanks for clarifying. I will see what I can find out
        Bruce Townsend

Comment

There is a method that can be used to provide different sort orders in different filterered sections, but it's technically quite tricky. Due to the complexity, we can only support it if we implement it for you ourselves. If you're interested in having this set up and would like to find out more, you would need to contact Sales.

As a simpler alternative, there is a way to promote specific products higher in the order wherever they appear. You can create a variable and give all products a default value, say 1. Then give select products a higher value or values. Make that the first level for the default sort order; demote your current default first-level value to the second level, and your current default second-level value to the third.

Wherever those products appear, they will be at the top of the list, with everything else sorted as they are now.

I hope this helps.
          Bruce Townsend

Comment

Thank you Bruce, I'll try out the sort order variable to see if that helps.

Comment

Bruce - Sort Order in filtered results - Thank you for a useful feature. With some trial and error I managed to work out how to get it to work like I wanted at a site level, not at a section level.
              Phil Howell
              Director
              Intuition Un Ltd
              www.turmerlicious.com A range of delicious Turmeric Latte's #veryaddictive

Also
              Awarding winning publishers of Natal Hypnotherapy™, the UK's leading provider of hypnosis for conception, pregnancy and child birth having helped over 100,000 women through antenatal courses and self hypnosis CDs
              www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk Hypnobirthing in English
              www.natalhypnotherapy.fr Hypnobirthing in french
              www.hypnobirthingclass.online Online antenatal training

Comment

Working...
              X