Announcement

Collapse

Sellerdeck Community upgrade

18 May: completed upgrade of the Sellerdeck Community software. Please report any issues in this post.
See more
See less

FTP / SFTP / Enhanced FTP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FTP / SFTP / Enhanced FTP

    When uploading my store, it is using FTP or SFTP ? I noticed an option that said 'Enhanced FTP' in Network setup.... ?

    Thanks
    Baby Bedding, Nursery Bedding & Baby Stuff for your little ones...

  • #2
    I'd be interested in an answer to this as well. I have a test server set up which uses vsftp running in a non secure mode i.e. ftp not sftp. Actinic connects quite happily to this. I will try to set it up using ssl for a more secure ftp but in the meantime does anyone know if actinic can be made to use secure ftp?
    Lance

    www.brightkidz.co.uk

    "High visibility clothing and accessories for children and adults"

    Comment


    • #3
      Thinking about it there doesn't seem to be a way to tell sellerdeck to use secure ftp. Every time I upload sellerdeck I am sending my ftp password over the internet unencrypted. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this make Sellerdeck inherently insecure?

      What security measures do other people take to reduce the risk?
      Lance

      www.brightkidz.co.uk

      "High visibility clothing and accessories for children and adults"

      Comment


      • #4
        SellerDeck uses FTP, has done for over 15 years. There are several ways of conducting a FTP session securely but these are not as yet supported by SellerDeck.

        Most ISPs still do not support any secure FTP options and those that do may not always support all of the secure options.

        For SellerDeck to support secure FTP connections we would need to negotiate with the server to determine which if any methods are supported by both the client and server.

        This is something we are aware of and may well do in the future but to date we have had very few requests to do so, only 6 (including the two here) in the past 10 years.

        Your interest in this has been noted against our internal wish list for consideration in a future release of SellerDeck.

        Gordon Camley

        3rd Line Support
        SellerDeck.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the reply Gordon.
          Lance

          www.brightkidz.co.uk

          "High visibility clothing and accessories for children and adults"

          Comment


          • #6
            Sellerdeck SFTP Workaround.

            I'm going to dredge this one up as it looks like 1and1 have stopped FTP and only using SFTP as of a couple of days ago. Since we are using V11.x.x this was a major issue since it is only capable of using FTP not SFTP, I believe 2013 onwards have this feature.. I have asked 1and1 technical support for confirmation that they have dropped FTP.

            There was a PDF on here with instructions on using TLSWrap but this did not work as 1and1 do not support TLS with FTP so had to look for another workaround.

            Here it is, and it's quite simple:

            I do suggest you try on a test site first and only apply to the live when your 100% happy it works as intended.

            Download Bitvise Client: Bitvise Downloads

            and follow the instructions on this page: Bitvise Bridge Setup

            Then change the Serverhost in SellerDeck Network Settings to Localhost (if you installed Bitvise on the same PC as your SellerDeck) and your good to go, worked first time for me.

            I am now going to try putting the BitVise on the our server so that it is in a central location and on all the time, shouldn't be difficult.

            I hope this helps someone else out.

            John.
            John
            Sheltons Fishing Tackle
            www.sheltonsfishing.co.uk
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sheltons View Post
              I'm going to dredge this one up as it looks like 1and1 have stopped FTP and only using SFTP as of a couple of days ago. Since we are using V11.x.x this was a major issue since it is only capable of using FTP not SFTP, I believe 2013 onwards have this feature.. I have asked 1and1 technical support for confirmation that they have dropped FTP.

              There was a PDF on here with instructions on using TLSWrap but this did not work as 1and1 do not support TLS with FTP so had to look for another workaround.

              Here it is, and it's quite simple:

              I do suggest you try on a test site first and only apply to the live when your 100% happy it works as intended.

              Download Bitvise Client: Bitvise Downloads

              and follow the instructions on this page: Bitvise Bridge Setup

              Then change the Serverhost in SellerDeck Network Settings to Localhost (if you installed Bitvise on the same PC as your SellerDeck) and your good to go, worked first time for me.

              I am now going to try putting the BitVise on the our server so that it is in a central location and on all the time, shouldn't be difficult.

              I hope this helps someone else out.

              John.
              Should say that this resolution should work for other ISP's not just 1and1.

              All went well on setting up on the Server:

              In BitVise setup as per the instructions link above in previous post and alter as per below:
              • When you Click Logon for the first time in Bitvise you may be asked: Permit Domain, Public, Private by the server security - Suggest only Domain but you can use private also.
              • Services: Change Listen Interface from 127.0.0.1 to the IP of the Server Network Card (e.g. 192.168.1.2) There is a possibility that your Firewall may need Port 21 opening up, if so limit it to your localsubnet for security.
              • Services: Set a Password (Best for Security see notes below.
              • SellerDeck/Network Config: Change FTP to either IP you set above or Server Name.
              • SellerDeck/Network Config: Set Password to Same as above (Login Name is ignored so don't worry about this).
              • SellerDeck/Network Config: Passive and Compression Can be on as it seemed to work fine for me so experiment.

                Notes:
                What you have to remember is that by setting up the Bitvise Bridge, it contains the access details of the FTP for your website, as in login name & password for the site so if you do not set the password you potentially giving free access to the Websites Files so someone malicious, so I Strongly Recommend Setting the Services Password with a Very Strong Password.

                If you really want to be secure also Logout Bitvise when not in use and Login when you are ready to upload.

                I found on the Options Page, Disable: Open Teminal and Open SFTP as these are Windows you will not need once it is all working, very irritating if you are using the Login/ Logout button as these screens open up every time.


              If you have any question please don't hesitate to post as I will subscript to notifications on this thread.
              John
              Sheltons Fishing Tackle
              www.sheltonsfishing.co.uk
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sheltons View Post
                Should say that this resolution should work for other ISP's not just 1and1.

                All went well on setting up on the Server:

                In BitVise setup as per the instructions link above in previous post and alter as per below:
                • When you Click Logon for the first time in Bitvise you may be asked: Permit Domain, Public, Private by the server security - Suggest only Domain but you can use private also.
                • Services: Change Listen Interface from 127.0.0.1 to the IP of the Server Network Card (e.g. 192.168.1.2) There is a possibility that your Firewall may need Port 21 opening up, if so limit it to your localsubnet for security.
                • Services: Set a Password (Best for Security see notes below.
                • SellerDeck/Network Config: Change FTP to either IP you set above or Server Name.
                • SellerDeck/Network Config: Set Password to Same as above (Login Name is ignored so don't worry about this).
                • SellerDeck/Network Config: Passive and Compression Can be on as it seemed to work fine for me so experiment.

                  Notes:
                  What you have to remember is that by setting up the Bitvise Bridge, it contains the access details of the FTP for your website, as in login name & password for the site so if you do not set the password you potentially giving free access to the Websites Files so someone malicious, so I Strongly Recommend Setting the Services Password with a Very Strong Password.

                  If you really want to be secure also Logout Bitvise when not in use and Login when you are ready to upload.

                  I found on the Options Page, Disable: Open Teminal and Open SFTP as these are Windows you will not need once it is all working, very irritating if you are using the Login/ Logout button as these screens open up every time.


                If you have any question please don't hesitate to post as I will subscript to notifications on this thread.
                Hi - Thanks for trying to help us folks out - I couldn't do this with TLSwrap so have been trying your method. Complete novice in this and wonder if there is simpler walk through that is for novices like me? Do I put my domain or the ftp address of the domain? The server is connecting when I set up the proxy in Actinic but is then terminated by Actinic.
                Not sure when you say Server Network Card - Do you mean default gateway IP address on my PC or the dedicated IP address on the hosting site?

                Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance

                Stewart

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by zikzak View Post
                  Hi - Thanks for trying to help us folks out - I couldn't do this with TLSwrap so have been trying your method. Complete novice in this and wonder if there is simpler walk through that is for novices like me? Do I put my domain or the ftp address of the domain? The server is connecting when I set up the proxy in Actinic but is then terminated by Actinic.
                  Not sure when you say Server Network Card - Do you mean default gateway IP address on my PC or the dedicated IP address on the hosting site?

                  Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance

                  Stewart
                  Hi Stewart,

                  Don't know why you are configuring the Proxy settings in Sellerdeck as that wasn't in my instructions.

                  Are you installing BitVise on the same PC as SellerDeck or on another PC/ Server?

                  I will try and get some screen shots done of Bitvise screens and the Sellerdeck Network setup but we are very busy at the moment.

                  John.
                  John
                  Sheltons Fishing Tackle
                  www.sheltonsfishing.co.uk
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sheltons View Post
                    Hi Stewart,

                    Don't know why you are configuring the Proxy settings in Sellerdeck as that wasn't in my instructions.

                    Are you installing BitVise on the same PC as SellerDeck or on another PC/ Server?

                    I will try and get some screen shots done of Bitvise screens and the Sellerdeck Network setup but we are very busy at the moment.

                    John.
                    Hi John

                    Many thanks for replying. That will teach me to read instructions more carefully - I thought it had to be through the proxy. Anyhow, I did change this setting to "None" and have then spent a considerable time trying to get it to work by using the "TEST" settings in SD with no luck at all. Anyhow, I thought to just try and publish the site and it worked 1st time so the site is now up and running.

                    The Moral of this is read the instructions and don't bother to try and "TEST" the setting because this clearly does not work........

                    Many, Many thanks

                    Stewart

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by zikzak View Post
                      Hi John

                      Many thanks for replying. That will teach me to read instructions more carefully - I thought it had to be through the proxy. Anyhow, I did change this setting to "None" and have then spent a considerable time trying to get it to work by using the "TEST" settings in SD with no luck at all. Anyhow, I thought to just try and publish the site and it worked 1st time so the site is now up and running.

                      The Moral of this is read the instructions and don't bother to try and "TEST" the setting because this clearly does not work........

                      Many, Many thanks

                      Stewart
                      No problem, glad your all sorted.

                      I don't tent to use the Test feature as on my V11 I have found it can give some false fails.

                      I use the import/ Export Options in Network Settings - as in Export your setting before you tinker then you can restore if it all goes t...s up.

                      Once I have the New Settings working I then Export to a New File preserviing the Old settings in case there some info I need from them at a later date.

                      I operate the same method for Test sites and Live.

                      John.
                      John
                      Sheltons Fishing Tackle
                      www.sheltonsfishing.co.uk
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X