Cannot Upload site to server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul,

I agree - would someone at Actinic please contact Symantec ASAP and ascertain why Actinic code is falling foul of this new Norton rule.

Then perhaps Actinic would publish a response on this thread to tell us if/when a fix is available, so that we can then switch back on the new Norton rule in the Intrusion Detection section.

Greg Kendall

Comment

Big thanks to you Paul... I haven't touched my network settings in years and was so surprised when it all fell over this morning... like you I'm wondering if i have to go switching Glob Bufferoverflow on and off each time I upload. One day i'm bound to forget to switch it back on and am wondering what terrible thing may happen???
      cordelia
      www.eShopAfrica.com

Comment

The thing with 'intrusion detection' as opposed to firewall and anti-virus programs is that it's trying to detect that your PC has been compromised in some way. i.e. it doesn't really play a defensive role but is there to alert you if it sees things happening it doesn't like the look of.

I don't know why Norton is running scared of what actinic is doing. Maybe it just doesn't like 3rd party software that isn't on it's usual list opening external connections and ftp'ing data out. Maybe it's something else. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about disabling it until Actinic can find out why Norton is sensitive to its operation.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi there

I've asked for some feedback from the development team, but initially what I would really like to know is what method of uploading you are using for your site. In v7 there is a feature called 'Enhanced FTP' which uploads stores using standard FTP methods rather than the rather... old-fashioned method that Actinic used to use.

Paul (Snooze_shop) I know you are on v4 so will not have this feature. Could those on v7 (and v6.1.5) please check whether this feature is enabled (in 'Advanced | Network Settings'). If it isn't, try enabling it and see if this improves things.

Comment

We have received quite a few calls regarding this and the solution we are recommending at the moment is to disable the "FTP Pathname Glob BufferOverflow" in the Intrusion Detection settings as posted by Paul earlier.

It seems the Norton patch has been designed to overcome a bug in IE that allows intrusion using wildcards, but for some reason affects Actinic's upload process and probably other applications that use Windows ftp processes. The development team are currently looking to see if Actinic's upload process can be amended so that it does not come under Norton's scrutiny, and we will post back when we have more information.
            Ben Popplestone
            Ecommerce website software

Comment

Well done paul, I'm back updating again with your fix.
              www.calmncomfy.co.uk : Improving well being and enjoyment of life - Naturally

Comment

Not so fast

I have just encountered the same problem after a trial run of Bullet-proof FTP expired. I attempted to re-install Bullet-proof as I have an internal server on a cross platform setup of PC and Mac and FTP is a quicker way of transferring files than trying to use the usual connect to server. Actinic however was unable to upload files or download orders after the installation. I do not use Norton but McAfee. I got over the problem by using Norton GoBack and restoring the sytem to just before installation. But could do with a longer term solution.

Comment

Hello Chris

I'm on version 7.0.2.0.0.0 ELCA - i ticked Use Enhance FTP and switched FTP GlobBuffer back on - ran into the same problem:

Unable to move to the acatalog directory "../" on the FTP server possibly due to a mistake in the Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory field.
                  (null)

Were there any other settings that should have been changed apart from just ticking the Use Enhance FTP box?
                  cordelia
                  www.eShopAfrica.com

Comment

i ticked Use Enhance FTP and switched FTP GlobBuffer back on - ran into the same problem
                    Having read Ben's post, it looks like sadly using Enhanced FTP is not a way around this.

If you are having problems setting up your network settings, I suggest contacting Actinic support via http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm and asking them to take a look at your settings.

Comment

I spent yesterday talking to support but my settings were fine and they couldn't help. The suggested I look here which is where I found Paul's suggestion which worked!
                      cordelia
                      www.eShopAfrica.com

Comment

Hi there

I have just recieved some more information back from the development team for a workaround without turning off 'FTP Pathname Glob Buffer Overflow'.

Open The network settings.
                        An absolute FTP path is required in 'Path to CGI-BIN' and 'Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory as Viewed by the FTP Server'.

Best way to determine the correct values is to use an FTP Client to log into the server.

Browse to the CGI-BIN, the FTP Client usually displays the path to the current folder, copy this to 'Path to CGI-BIN', ensure the first character is '/'.

Browse to the acatalog folder and copy the full path to 'Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory as Viewed by the FTP Server'.

Repeat the above for the SSL server settings if using SSL for login and checkout.
                        Kind Regards
                        Nadeem Rasool
                        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi There,

Thought you might be interested.

NIS 2004 update but did not show any increase in version or revision
                          number however NIS 2005 now shows:-

Intrusion Detection Signature File Version: 08/07/2005 Rev. 15.
                          Intrusion Detection Engine Version: 2.0.0.50609.

Previous faulty revision was Rev. 11.

Kind regards,
                          Bruce King
                          SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                          X