Do I need SSL for Paypal payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need SSL for Paypal payments

I've been testing my site and when I get to check out I go to a https Paypal site which I assume is secure.

Do I therefore need to get SSL and if so why?

For standard Paypal, you do not have to, no. For Paypal Pro you have to, but that is not PCI compliant anyway, so you would need to choose another PSP instead.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      For standard Paypal, you do not have to, no. For Paypal Pro you have to, but that is not PCI compliant anyway, so you would need to choose another PSP instead.
      ........Qué?

Comment

Adrian,

Having an SSL usually means that the site is downloading credit card details, which (without a massive amount of effort on your part) will not conform to PCI DSS.

PayPal does not require the user to give you any details, but PayPal Pro does and therefore falls foul of PCI DSS.

There's masses, and I mean masses of information of this in the forum. If you're not sure about PCI DSS, you need to do some reading I'm afraid.

Army Gore-tex
        Winter Climbing Mitts
        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I'll have a nosey around but for starters it would be handy to know the definition of PCI DSS and PSP, I feel I've stumbled into some secret society lol

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful View Post
            I'll have a nosey around but for starters it would be handy to know the definition of PCI DSS and PSP, I feel I've stumbled into some secret society lol
            Google???
            Tracey

Comment

If you have a mosey arround you will soon find out what they are

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful View Post
                as good a place to start as any:
                https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/
                flyingbooks secondhand, rare and collectable aviation books and publications

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got

Comment

Working...
                X