Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I prevent search engines from indexing the checkout pages in my online store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I prevent search engines from indexing the checkout pages in my online store?

As you may know, search engines will 'spider' through all your pages on your website and make a note of the content of each page. This is great for your store pages, as customers can search on words that are on your pages, but this is not great for the checkout pages as they are not suitable to be viewed outside of the context of a shopping session.

In order to get around this:

v8 (and higher)

* Go to 'Settings | Site Options' and in the 'Checkout Layout' field, select '<New>' from the bottom of the list.
    * Give your layout a name (such as 'Checkout Layout') and ensure in the 'Based On' field you select the name of your current overall layout. This will essentially duplicate your overall layout and just use it for your section pages.
    * Switch to the 'Design' tab and in the 'Select Page Type' field, select one of the checkout pages.You should now see that it is using your new layout as the overall layout.
    * Within this new overall layout, enter the following code into the <head> section of the page.
    * <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="none"/>
    * Apply your changes.

v7 (and earlier):

* Open 'Act_Primary.html' (or whatever your default overall layout template is called) and save it as 'Act_PrimaryCheckout.html' (this file may exist already). This creates an alternative overall layout template.
    * Within this new file, enter the following code into the <head> section of the page.
    * <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="none">
    * You can now specify this file as the overall layout for your checkout pages in 'Design Options | Sections'.
Working...
X