No announcement yet.

SSL Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further to this case, our engineers have managed to identify the problem on the website. Your PERL script still has Windows style of line: CRFL. This needs to be changed to a Linux end of line.
    This problem might be Fasthosts’ fault. If they moved your files from the windows to unix server then they won’t have been uploaded with the correct line feeds. IIRC sellerdeck and other ftp programs will send the correct line feeds when they upload. If the files were just copied across from one server to the other then the line feeds will be in the wrong format.

A new upload should fix this.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Problem with these things and most companies is you have to prove that its there issue before they will look at it. They are never proactive - its always the customer whos at fault...

What gets on my nerves is the one where they say "well, we've never had that problem before".

Comment

After a number of days and loads of support calls to fasthost ive decided to move my domain to show where else.. Any suggestions?

Comment

Host-It gets very good reviews.
          Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Its not usually the hosting companies fault its usually a user fault.
            I thought at the time this was a rather brave comment to be making.

I use 1and1 but Host-it would be my recommendation for a smaller company with good customer service.

PS. I have to add that IIRC the original post didn't have 'usually' in it.

Comment

I'd echo Mike on 1and1 too. It's what we've been on for many years although I keep promising myself to make the leap to Host-it (we have a test domain there).
              Every time I get close to moving, 1and1 does something really well and I hang on for another stint.
              Last night they helpfully created a new subdomain for the PTR record on our dedicated server to get round BT's latest attempt to block all btinternet.com, talk21.com etc from receiving our customer emails. Top marks from me.
              Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                I thought at the time this was a rather brave comment to be making.

I use 1and1 but Host-it would be my recommendation for a smaller company with good customer service.

PS. I have to add that IIRC the original post didn't have 'usually' in it.
                With the others i was just put off by the look of there sites - they all seem behind fast hosts,

However, SSL won't work so Im moving

Comment

WARNING - FASTHOSTS AND SSL

Dear Darren,

Thanks for contacting us with your support enquiry.

I apologise for this, Our Clustered platform is still hosted on a shared platform but under a low contention server. There are still limitations set on it in which it can't be updated or changed because there are other websites hosted on it. If you wish to have dedicated and much higher resources, would recommend the cloud or dedicated server.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Faulkds View Post
                    After a number of days and loads of support calls to fasthost ive decided to move my domain to show where else.. Any suggestions?
                    I'm with Teclan and happy with their personal service and Sellerdeck expertise.

John
                    John Ennals
                    www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Gone with HOST-IT and must say even though the site and functionally feels tired their ticket support is first class. So would recommend...

Comment

So pretty much seemless install on Host-it.

Going to move my other site to them but worried about losing the rankings.

As I heard if you convert your site to use SSL that it can have a negative affect on rankings.

Comment

So pretty much seemless install on Host-it.

Going to move my other site to them but worried about losing the rankings.

As I heard if you convert your site to use SSL that it can have a negative affect on rankings.
                          Quite the opposite - not running SSL will impact your rankings. (https://www.broadbandcloudsolutions....oogle-ranking/)
                          Also - https://www.eukhost.com/blog/webhost...cure-websites/

The only effect that will cause it to be negative, is if you do not correctly redirect your traffic.

Ensure your .htaccess is configured correctly to redirect http > https traffic and you should be fine.
                          Matt. M - SMR Enterprises Ltd.

Comment

so you dont htink it will have any more effect on the rankings as the site has url has change?

Comment

As long as you redirect any non https links / connections you'll be fine.

Comment

so you dont htink it will have any more effect on the rankings as the site has url has change?
                                Hi Faulks.

This is the reason we use a redirect - you are telling Google / search engines (and users browsers) to navigate to page B instead of A.

Google reads this redirect as "I will send A to B, as well as any link juice"

RewriteEngine On
                                RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
                                RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

Taken from: https://uk.godaddy.com/help/redirect...matically-8828

your .htaccess file should live in your root directory (before your sellerdeck catalog directory, to ensure it hits the entire site)

There are a lot of resources for .htaccess on the web - check stackoverflow and maybe even a .htaccess generator.
                                Matt. M - SMR Enterprises Ltd.

Comment

Working...
                                X