Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbarling
    There's lots that could be said about this topic. I've recently given a talk on it, using Actinic as a case study. It was arranged by a medium sized firm of lawyers and the UK Patent Office was there, so I'm reasonably certain of the facts.

There are various ways that you can protect your Intellectual Property including registering trademarks, designs and domain names.

"Actinic" is a registered trademark in the area in which Actinic operates. The fact that "Actinic" is used in other contexts is irrelevant, otherwise "Orange" couldn't be trademarked. Actually, the use of the colour orange is protected in the mobile phone space, would you believe.

Because we have our trade mark, we can approach anyone with a domain name containing "Actinic" that encroaches on our space and ask them to stop. Incidentally, we have already done that a few weeks ago with the domain name mentioned earlier in this thread.

It'a actually not true that we can't do anything about people using "Actinic" in their domain names. I'll make sure that is clarified for others in the company. We have a legal right to take action against anyone using our trademark in our area , although obviously not if someone is selling light bulbs, which isn't in our area.

Trade marking is, in my opinion, a critical defense. If they can afford it, I would recommend people register their trademark before they even open up their business. That way, you can make sure that you can actually trademark the name you've chosen (some names are too generic and aren't allowed) and you can also make sure no-one else has already got it. Once you've started up, it's very hard to change names.

Incidentally, as a result of having a trade mark, we are able to get Google and eBay to stop people advertising on our name.

Chris

From a thread in the AOB forum.

Also, I'd check your page titles if I were you fella.
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

url

if actinic have any reservations about me using this url along side them, and in no shape or form against them, i will gladly change it at this early stage.
      actinic are software developers, and i preach to be a designer thus dont think i represent competition in there sector.
      myactinic was a url a have tested on in the past and simply used it for this new site as i thought it was fitting,
      firefox probs more or less solved duncan thanks for pointing that out,mental note, must view in ff a lot more often
      Simbo thanks you in advance again

Comment

oh..! oh...!

got a recorded delivery for my actinic to collect.... unless any of you guys are wanting designs, i think ill hold of finishing the site tonight calling every thing myactinic this and myactinic that.
        instead ill chill with a beer and search for domain names
        Simbo thanks you in advance again

Comment

Originally posted by simbo
          got a recorded delivery for my actinic to collect.... unless any of you guys are wanting designs, i think ill hold of finishing the site tonight calling every thing myactinic this and myactinic that.
          instead ill chill with a beer and search for domain names
          wise words

if you are going to add a comprehensive service in this sector you must be able to offer your prospective clients sound advice and that will include domain names etc

so, before you start, research trademark and copyright laws....could save you time and money in the long run
          Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
          Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Sort of released but still being snagged whilst awaiting v9.0.3

www.coolcards.co.uk/index.html

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

hate to jump in but I just had to say OMG, I am crying laughing at some of those cards!!

*backs outta the thread and pretends she was never here*
              Tracey

Comment

Nice one Jonty.

One little thing - How do you know which message is which if I order more than one card?

Comment

I was just wondering the same thing, but nice site

How are your clients going to control the delivery dates, im guessing they are using some scheduler on the backend just curious as to what and how it works

Comment

The personalisation is a new venture and will be single card orders initially ... should it take we will look at a slightly different option with the info prompt against each product which slides out to reveal when activated by the user. This has already been coded and ready to implement as required.

Bikster
                    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Who likes Chickens?

Here's our latest Actinic site for your delight: www.flytesofancy.co.uk built in V9 to replace an older V8 site.
                      Richard Gosler
                      Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
                      Dorset, UK

Comment

Working...
                      X